The joys of SM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
The Citroen SM that is, I know you lot.

So I just picked it up and let's deal with the bad bits first - the instrument lights aren't working, or Citroen require some bizarre switch. The problem of test driving only in daylight only. The plus side, the speedo in kmh anyway. The newly installed aircon is quite brilliant, really cold on every setting, including hot. The handbrake really works, so my normal trick of pulling away in the W124 with it applied lead to lots of stalling.

All glitches that will be sorted. However, the car is magnificent. The ride just knocks the W124 into a cocked hat, indeed the Arabian Nights never had such a magical carpet, the seats are equally lovely, the Maserati V6 sounds glorious, and it was cool enough to register with the Diana Ross of the Oxford services fuel station, who pronounced it well cool.

The middling bits - you need to avoid too much lock at low speed, or it rolls, and the brakes need calibration.

Otherwise, what a great start. Love it.

Good to hear you are in love Charles.

All the above comments are making me itchy again...

Nice one Charles, glad to see the Citroen before "The joys of SM" that said, your headline/title will ensure a great deal of interest.

Superb

When do we get to hear about the time you get all 'ard ?

The DIRAVI steering is a feature that takes some getting used to..after which , you wonder why it's not fitted to all cars.

Go-cart direct, properly speed sensitive and self centring even when stationery. Possibly the only true power steering setup used on cars the World over, not power assisted as in other makes.

Last edited:
When the belt snaps does it lock solid and plough on, like other makes?

When the belt snaps does it lock solid and plough on, like other makes?

I've never heard of a belt snapping on a Hydro Citroen, but if it did you would lose all assistance and have to resort to muscle power.

Now, you're going to say you thought it wasn't an assisted system...it's not, but it has a loose link as a mechanical backup, but in pressured mode there is no direct connection between the steering column and rack, it's hydraulic only.

2nd myth is that the brakes fail if the engine/pump fails. Not so as the rear brakes are pressurised of the rear suspension and the front brakes have an accumulator to maintain pressure.

Just like other systems, no power assistance, no steering. Unless your name is Arnie!!

Just like other systems, no power assistance, no steering. Unless your name is Arnie!!
What's your point?

But the belt only drives the hydro-pump so isn't under much force. I've never head of one snapping.

The difference is that this is true power steering, not power assisted steering.

Sorted the sidelights. A little toggle switch on the dash.

I'm more worried about the cam belts than the steering....A former Citroen mechanic tells me the hydraulics are pretty much bulletproof.

I think going from a w124 with its somewhat vague steering to this needs a bit more thought. At speed DIRAVI is excellent.

Sorted the sidelights. A little toggle switch on the dash.

I'm more worried about the cam belts than the steering....A former Citroen mechanic tells me the hydraulics are pretty much bulletproof.

I think going from a w124 with its somewhat vague steering to this needs a bit more thought. At speed DIRAVI is excellent.

Cam chains. The manual adjusters are a known weak area on the Maserati engine.
Upgrade chains and tensioners and all should be well in the world.

The majority of the problem is that the A/C is run from the camshaft drive so stresses the chains, especially if the compressor locks.

The dash lights switch will be the parking lights.

Not tonight, Josephine.

I need broadband up and running first. Thanks to Virgin it has taken 4 weeks at my new home rather than instaneous handover. When they said there was cable at the new address I didn't expect to learn the day before installation that they were lying...

The engine has had the full upgrade by Andrew Brodie plus a completely new aircon system to remove the risks Dieselman. I think my comment should be taken as I am not in the least worried by the car - just needs to be looked after properly and no skimping.

If it werent for the binnacle black out i'd still be out driving. I'll check the fuses tomorrow, if I can find them. Another joy of old cars - no manual...

Last edited:
If it werent for the binnacle black out i'd still be out driving. I'll check the fuses tomorrow, if I can find them. Another joy of old cars - no manual...

Ask on the French Car Forum, or Citroen Club forum, someone will know or have a manual.

Oh a workshop manual. A metaphorical alarm is ringing at 100db but I see no dangers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom