The Latest Cam Scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I have just heard of a nasty scam.
You are sitting at a junction waiting for a gap in the traffic to join a main road. A car on the main road stops, flashes the lights and waves at you to join the main road. You move out, the other car suddenly accelerates and hits your car. The people jump out of the other car and
immediately blame you for the 'accident'. They produce 'evidence' from their cam which
of course does not show them flashing lights or waving you on which of course is not caught on
your cam.

This has been around a few years now.

All you can really do is not pull out even if you are flashed - or have a car more powerful than the scrotes! :D

...or fit a rear-facing camera.

Good advice thanks. I think you just have to be vigilant and access the situation ie look at the occupants of the flashing car and decide if they look like scumbags in a piece of shit car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone flashes me to pull out, I only do it if they are stationary, then I have the argument that they were parked. If the vehicle is moving slowly and flashing me, I ignore it.

Read your highway code, flashing your lights is to make someone aware your there. That's it.

also in this sad world of blame and litigation you should never tell a pedestrian to cross.

I had this yesterday, waiting in traffic to turn right across the oncoming cars, I thought I saw the guy gesture for me to cross, I wasn't sure so waited. He then flew into a rage when I stayed where I was - waving his arms, shouting and turning very red. I couldn't stop laughing which probably made him a little worse. I think his blood pressure was probably through the roof.

I was taught in a driver awareness course to make eye contact and look for a hand gesture to confirm that you are being let out. Do not go by flashing headlights since as mentioned above, it means "watch out, my car is here!"
So I guess in court, if the scammer wanted to take it to court, he could argue that he flashed you to let you know that he is there because he was about to move. There is ambiguity.
Why does it have to be so complicated :wallbash:

Another issue these days is the number of cars fitted with "auto" headlights? I was recently approaching a junction, where another driver was waiting to pull out. It was late in the afternoon and my auto-lights chose that moment to turn on! The car thought I was flashing my lights and started to pull out (though I hadn't indicated as such). Luckily, both of our reactions were swift enough to prevent a mishap and we both ended up apologising to each other.

Now if I could only remember to set the wiper stalk to off, when I park up at night, so that the blades don't try and self-destruct when I get in on a frosty morning and start the car ready to defrost the windscreen!:eek:

Read your highway code, flashing your lights is to make someone aware your there. That's it.

also in this sad world of blame and litigation you should never tell a pedestrian to cross.
Is that why nobody stops at a zebra crossing? - There was me thinking that rule 195 said they had to, but the number of cars who continue driving suggests that they think it's optional.

I've had a few near-misses where one lane stops, so I start crossing only to have to step back when cars going the other way don't stop. - In one case I could almost read the screen of the mobile phone in the lap of the driver as she came past.

I live in a road with speed bumps. When you’re waiting to pull out of the road and a car approach’s with headlights on it always looks like they’ve flashed as they go over the bump!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now if I could only remember to set the wiper stalk to off, when I park up at night, so that the blades don't try and self-destruct when I get in on a frosty morning and start the car ready to defrost the windscreen!:eek:
Put a plastic wine bottle cork under the blades to lift them clear of the screen at night.

Or I could cut up my wine-boxes (3 litre variety) and wedge the cardboard under them?:D

Similar thing happened to me with auto headlights. Stupid thing is, on a my w205 C Class. you can not turn them off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom