The MEG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
In case you are not familiar with the acronym, My car is fitted with one. It arrived with a starting problem, which, once cleared moved to the EGR system and, once that had been bashed went to play in the rear SAM, evaporating the HRW fuse. Coming home, the SRS lamp came on and, following a restart, went off again only for the wipers to appear to have failed while debugging blocked screen washer plumbing. I suspect that may have been while I had the bonnet open so I shall try again later but until then, the MEG is on notice. Tron's gonna have you, Migratory Electrical Gremlin. Pack your bags!

And that is exactly what happened. I found this morning that it had switched its lights lion in the night and flattened it's battery so I have ordered an appointment with the crusher for this afternoon.

Haha brilliant thread. All foreign language to me (I don't do acronyms) but funny all the same.

Haha brilliant thread. All foreign language to me (I don't do acronyms) but funny all the same. :D

Despite my threat, I pulled the SAM out and it spent the night in the airing cupboard moaning and rattling its chains. This morning the spare new battery was put into one side of the car and the SAM into the other. Engine start: Yes, radio yes, Aircon yes lights Looks like it, Mirrors, Yes. Wipers, Yes, all three speeds. Wipers off? No. A used front SAM is on order. Same part number, same Hardware, same software number. The normal things, wipers, lights etc. will be coded in. Don't know about the Comand, seats or the dimming mirrors but I'll find out soon enough. Madam thinks it is haunted, which it is but I do have Tubular Bells on CD...

Over my head.
This car has too many bugs. I shall never get it sorted without buying a Star rig. Just not sure if I can be bothered. Might just put the new SAM in and if it doesn't work drive it to the scrappy and walk away. If I thought a Star would program the SAM I probably would but most of them say they don't do flash code which sounds like the SAM to me.

Jumped it with door shut, key out and lights on from the PP3 sized battery in the Up! without the engine running in the latter. Started. Decided to pull the wiper fuse and go for a good run to charge the car up. Lost the auto lights problem, gained an ABS warning light and an ESP malfunction.

No, that wasn't a malfunction; I really was thinking that. There is nothing wrong with your ESP. Be afraid Gremlin.

Battery went up after an hour's driving to 14.2 running which proves battery and charging system. Most of the rest of it works but there is clearly going to be some fun to be had once the new SAM gets here, hopefully at around the time that the Star gets here. I had a very bad experience with a Carsoft that cost money but simply never worked at all so I have gone for a UK supplier who provides a laptop ready to go.
If it has WIS onboard, I shall be sorted. (I'm a test engineer by training and these days spend a lot of time designing test methods so interpreting what the test gear is telling me won't be a problem.)
SMS, wipers, lights turning on, ESP and APS errors. This looks very much like the CAN Bus isn't platyng nicely with the Front SAM to me but if anybody has a better Idea, I'd like to hear it. Meanwhile, the job will be cleaning it up.

The new SAM worked and, paired with a new battery all the problems cleared and the only thing left to do was to set the summer opening to rights and start on the mechanical bits. There are a few treads on the HRW to be reconnected but otherwise the car is electrically A1. I wonder how long this will last!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom