The Mercedes got dented!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Viking2

Car
B180 CDi SE
About a month ago, parked in a car park, another car rolled into the back of my Mercedes. Smashed rear bumper, light unit and reflector. The other driver admitted liability. However, after a month Mercedes of Inverness are still waiting for a new light unit to arrive from Germany!! Great customer service!

The bumper arrived and was fitted within the week. The light unit is on back order - whatever that means. Surely Mercedes have spare light units in the UK and don't have to send to Germany for each one.

I have been running round in various hire cars, paid for by the insurance company for the last month. The car hire is now costing more than the repairs. Glad I'm not paying.

The bumper arrived and was fitted within the week. The light unit is on back order - whatever that means. Surely Mercedes have spare light units in the UK and don't have to send to Germany for each one.

And how many days does it take to get something like that from Germany?

Sounds bizarre.

The repairers aren't in cahoots with the car hire people by any chance?

Is this being done through an accident management company?

If so, you need to be really careful here - there are horror stories of the other parties insurers rejecting large car hire bills and then the hire company will come after you for the cost.

I hope you get it fixed soon.

I have been running round in various hire cars, paid for by the insurance company for the last month. The car hire is now costing more than the repairs. Glad I'm not paying.

In 2004, an old boy smashed into my Range Rover Classic. It was away for repairs for four months (because I rejected it three times: awful paintwork on the repair). In all that time, I had a brand new Disco, paid for by the insurance :D

You want to try Piaggio, all stocks are kept by Fowlups in Bristol and the newer machines like mine are a nightmare to source parts. I finally have a panel waiting to be fitted after a wait of 12 months. ????

The light unit is on back order - whatever that means. Surely Mercedes have spare light units in the UK and don't have to send to Germany for each one.

It means there's no stock in Europe and MB are waiting for the people who make them to make some more.

From time to time this does happen.

A few years back, a Vito sat on a jig for 6 months waiting for a floorpan...

There are NEAR AND OFFSIDE units obviously ( you don't say which) but also inner and outer sections to the lighting units [ the outer units can be with and without rear fog lights] UK units will have them I guess ----AFAIK they are made by Bosch. If you are stuck it might be worth approaching Bosch UK or German suppliers directly?

Make sure the part is VOR'd. They have a few different ways of ordering parts and when things are back ordered from Germany then they need to be VOR'd or else you can wait a lifetime for them!

Kate

quite surprised that parts for a B class are not readily available - especially light clusters

quite surprised that parts for a B class are not readily available - especially light clusters

Perhaps the factory where they're made has reduced a few shifts due to new cars not selling/being built?

It is kind of ridiculous when you can go to the Classic Centre and get light units for Fintails , Pontons etc ( all you need is cash - lots of it ! ) .

I wonder what it will be like in 50 or 60 years for B class owners when these cars are the ages my cars are now ?

As stated above , you can sometimes go direct to Bosch or Hella and obtain these parts direct ( and cheaper ) .

Places like Eurocarparts sometimes carry them too .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom