The Mercedes journey continues, latest stop a CLS Shoooting Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stig2082

Car
CLS 350 Shooting Brake and a cheeky TVR Chimera
Having started my Mercedes journey many years ago with a 2001 320 CLK Cabriolet, I am now the proud owner of a 2012 CLS SB. In between has been an 2004 320 E Class estate, a bunch of other cars, a 2008 CLS 320cdi and latterly a 2008 CLS 63 AMG. All have been brilliant in their own way and suited my circumstances and the AMG was a blast, literally. Had been an itch to scratch and was glorious, but wasted on the congested roads I reside on and not cheap on fuel or car tax. The CLS SB has always looked great to me and now Mr depreciation has been to stay they are more affordable. I'm two weeks in and have to conclude is possibly the best of the lot. The interior is a dramatic improvement for me, and is simply a wonderful place to be. The jump in the application of technology in the space of 4 years is quite something. The ride and power (350cdi) is extremely good and not yet missing the extreme power of the AMG. Is obviously a cruising car and comfort is at the fore, but it does it supremely well. The interior is porcelain which I wasn't sure about, but with the black piano finish looks very luxurious and feels more airy than the black leather I've had in last couple of cars. It swallows a good amount of luggage and is still a looker. Have done two trips to Devon and back and it's coped fine with torrential rain and mud everywhere - though needed a good clean! I always think I'll keep cars longer than I do, but can't see me changing this for a while.

[QUOTE=Stig2082;2255029 I'm two weeks in and have to conclude is possibly the best of the lot. The interior is a dramatic improvement for me, and is simply a wonderful place to be. The jump in the application of technology in the space of 4 years is quite something. The ride and power (350cdi) is extremely good

Totally agree with you about the technology, I also upgraded 18 months ago from a W219 CLS320 that I kept for 6 years, was not sure at the time that I was doing the right thing as the W219 had been such a great car and had never missed a beat in the 6 years of ownership, and also was not sure that the W218 looked as pretty, but as you say much better interior, lot smoother ride and power, and the shape has now grown on me and I think it looks as good if not better than the 219

Well done. I love the SB shape. If we ever change one of ours it will be for a CLS SB. There are some really nice looking approved used ones with high spec and low mileage at good prices now. I am surprised they did not sell in grater numbers.

Thanks chaps and agreed on both fronts. I also loved the w219, especially the full fat version, but not regretting this move. With the rear windows tinted I think they look fab! And I got my 2012 (62) with 15k miles on the clock which means it feels and looks like new - even found one of those peel off protective films on the gear stalk which hadn't been removed. And talking of which that is nearest to anything I'm not sure about as I keep reaching to the middle to change gear.. Suspect I'll get used to the stalk soon.

Haha yeah know what you mean 18 months on and I still go for the gear stick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom