The most expensive part for MB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On a comparative basis, R129 brake shields must be high on the list. £400+ for a piece of pressed tinware. :oops:

Not the most expensive item per se but on a comparative scale the discs and pads for the SLK 55 AMG are massively expensive compared to the SLK 350 and even the SL55 AMG. I’ve no idea why, maybe someone could explain?

It was the main reason I decided not to buy a locally advertised one, even though it was pretty reasonably priced (thanks to Paul at Merparts for his expert advice).
Sounds bizarre reasoning from the garage - how many sets of discs and pads would you go through in general during your ownership?

The SL55/E55/CLS55 etc use standard ventilated/drilled 360mm discs that are not AMG specific - I think they have an S-class part number. That’s why the discs are relatively cheap - but the pads themselves are fairly expensive (but last a pretty long time)

I think I’d me more worried about balance shaft issues on the 350 than the cost of AMG discs that usually last for tens of thousands of miles? :)

Sounds bizarre reasoning from the garage - how many sets of discs and pads would you go through in general during your ownership?

The SL55/E55/CLS55 etc use standard ventilated/drilled 360mm discs that are not AMG specific - I think they have an S-class part number. That’s why the discs are relatively cheap - but the pads themselves are fairly expensive (but last a pretty long time)

I think I’d me more worried about balance shaft issues on the 350 than the cost of AMG discs that usually last for tens of thousands of miles? :)
Totally get your point but I think you misread my post. It’s the SLK55 AMG not the 350 and for some weird reason the brakes are disproportionately expensive.

Totally get your point but I think you misread my post. It’s the SLK55 AMG not the 350 and for some weird reason the brakes are disproportionately expensive.
I think I got it correct - the garage warned you off an SLK55 because the brakes were expensive if they need replacement (vs the 350)?

Just striked me as a little unusual advice from a garage - as the 350 model has known engine issues (not saying it affects all, but is well documented) - where as most people won’t have to replace discs and pads that often. The additional cost vs 350 discs or pads can’t be that much over an ownership period whereas engine surgery is likely to be pretty expensive by comparison? :)

You mentioned the SL55 brakes being less expensive, the reason is the discs are not AMG specific, so made and sold in much larger quantities, and are fitted to cars like the non-AMG S class for example :thumb:

I think I got it correct - the garage warned you off an SLK55 because the brakes were expensive if they need replacement (vs the 350)?

Just striked me as a little unusual advice from a garage - as the 350 model has known engine issues (not saying it affects all, but is well documented) - where as most people won’t have to replace discs and pads that often. The additional cost vs 350 discs or pads can’t be that much over an ownership period whereas engine surgery is likely to be pretty expensive by comparison? :)

You mentioned the SL55 brakes being less expensive, the reason is the discs are not AMG specific, so made and sold in much larger quantities, and are fitted to cars like the non-AMG S class for example :thumb:
You’re absolutely correct about the costs a dodgy 350 engine could incur, but I had asked for his thoughts on an AMG 55SLK that was up for sale locally. All he did was point out the anomaly regarding the cost of replacing brake discs and pads compared to other models. Buying a 350SLK was never mentioned.

You’re absolutely correct about the costs a dodgy 350 engine could incur, but I had asked for his thoughts on an AMG 55SLK that was up for sale locally. All he did was point out the anomaly regarding the cost of replacing brake discs and pads compared to other models. Buying a 350SLK was never mentioned.
Ok - I didn’t mention buying a 350 either! ;) Just that your garage was drawing a comparison of the running costs of the ‘55 against a 350 (regarding brake discs/pads) - for balance I did the same against a much larger potential issue on that model.

All cars need brakes replacing from time to time, I was just curious as to why that alone would stop anyone buying a car, as in the grand scheme of things I can’t see it being a huge cost for most people overall (discs usually last a long time and many people won’t even have to replace them more than once during ownership, if at all!) :thumb:

If cost is a real issue, there’s usually much cheaper sources for the parts - often identical OEM for a fraction of the main dealer (eg Brembo)

Were these the discs for the car you mention?:

Available here for £424 a pair:

That itself wouldn’t put me off buying one of those cars - seemed unusual advice from the garage, that was all :cool:

Ok - I didn’t mention buying a 350 either! ;) Just that your garage was drawing a comparison of the running costs of the ‘55 against a 350 (regarding brake discs/pads) - for balance I did the same against a much larger potential issue on that model.

All cars need brakes replacing from time to time, I was just curious as to why that alone would stop anyone buying a car, as in the grand scheme of things I can’t see it being a huge cost for most people overall (discs usually last a long time and many people won’t even have to replace them more than once during ownership, if at all!) :thumb:

If cost is a real issue, there’s usually much cheaper sources for the parts - often identical OEM for a fraction of the main dealer (eg Brembo)

l :cool:
TBH Will the cost of brakes on a w212 e63 or even the 211 e63 puts me off, considering how much more expensive they are compared to the 55.

Thats Obviously not the only thing that grates me, The added Tax bracket 500+ per yr also.

BUT...... If i really wanted one of the above i suppose id have to suck it lol.

I do realize how much it takes to keep these beasts in fine fettle as you all should know by now, So im under NO illusion to the fact.

What I personally wouldn't do is buy a Performance car like the above, and similar to what i have and try and run it on a shoe string!

If you cant afford the up keep dont buy one in the 1st place.

TBH Will the cost of brakes on a w212 e63 or even the 211 e63 puts me off, considering how much more expensive they are compared to the 55.

Thats Obviously not the only thing that grates me, The added Tax bracket 500+ per yr also.

BUT...... If i really wanted one of the above i suppose id have to suck it lol.

I do realize how much it takes to keep these beasts in fine fettle as you all should know by now, So im under NO illusion to the fact.

What I personally wouldn't do is buy a Performance car like the above, and similar to what i have and try and run it on a shoe string!

If you cant afford the up keep dont buy one in the 1st place.
I totally get your point about the road tax and stuff, but that’s par for the course if you want a luxury/performance car. With respect, nobody buys an AMG if they are looking for economical motoring as such (although they can work out relatively good value to run).

My point about the brake discs is all cars need parts like that replacing from time to time. Yes the ‘63 discs are more expensive than those on some of the older models but it’s swings and roundabouts really. Eg SBC or metal brake lines on older cars etc.

But back to the SLK55 - how many sets of discs is a typical owner likely to ever need? Most of the ones you see for sale with 50/60k miles and a handful of owners - majority of them will have never had to replace discs and at a push maybe one set? Kind of puts it into perspective really, it wouldn’t put me off buying one. And to be fair, discs don’t just ‘go’ - you can judge the wear and if they’re badly worn at the time of purchase you can budget for replacements in the purchase price (ie negotiate) if appropriate
:thumb:

I totally get your point about the road tax and stuff, but that’s par for the course if you want a luxury/performance car. With respect, nobody buys an AMG if they are looking for economical motoring as such (although they can work out relatively good value to run).

My point about the brake discs is all cars need parts like that replacing from time to time. Yes the ‘63 discs are more expensive than those on some of the older models but it’s swings and roundabouts really. Eg SBC or metal brake lines on older cars etc.

But back to the SLK55 - how many sets of discs is a typical owner likely to ever need? Most of the ones you see for sale with 50/60k miles and a handful of owners - majority of them will have never had to replace discs and at a push maybe one set? Kind of puts it into perspective really, it wouldn’t put me off buying one. And to be fair, discs don’t just ‘go’ - you can judge the wear and if they’re badly worn at the time of purchase you can budget for replacements in the purchase price (ie negotiate) if appropriate
:thumb:
Thanks to all for your collective input guys.

The SLK 55 was always a kind of “wonder if I should?” kind of purchase. In the end I decided it was probably too hardcore for my needs so I plumped for a late model R230 SL which I’m over the moon with, (despite its road tax costing more than both our other cars added together!) and I’ve got the right mix of comfort and performance I need.

I’ve always trusted Paul Mazzoni’s (Merparts) expert advice and so far he’s never been wrong, solving issues that baffled the main dealers in Glasgow (not to mention being usefully less expensive and much closer to where I live). Having given my SL a thorough inspection, full service and transmission oil change I’m content that I’ve got the right car for my needs.

The reason I mentioned the brakes at all was their disproportionately high price compared to other performance models, even some of the AMG range. It wasn’t the main reason I didn’t buy the car, but may have been the excuse I needed to convince myself it wasn’t the right one for me.

Thanks again guys.

When I had my CL, a while into ownership the centre LCD screen which shows the speedo temporarily corrupted and looked a bit odd.

I took a picture of it whilst it was still duff and pursued under warranty.

Screen was replaced and I think it was £2k retail from MB plus fitting.

My headlining started to go a few weeks ago. Thought to get a quote from the dealer - only one available remaining in Germany. A couple quid short of £3000.

It is a nice headlining to be fair.

Probably nothing a trimmer couldn't reproduce for a fraction of the price though, thankfully

The early R171 SLKs were fitted with floating discs which were the ones that were eye-watering expensive (I seem to remember a figure of £2.5 K for a full set of discs/pads). From, I think, 2008 onwards they reverted to solid discs which, although pricey, weren’t anywhere near as bad. But Will’s point is well made - I sold my 2006 SLK at 38000 miles and the original discs were still going strong, despite surviving several track days (which really hammer the brakes), plus I’m pretty heavy on brakes anyway. So if you amortise the cost (and go in with your eyes open anyway, which you should when buying a car like that), it’s really not so bad.

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom