The most expensive part for MB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
Excluding the engine or gearbox, what is the most expensive part for any MB model?

Does this include fitting, like the OM642 10p seals, £1999.90 labour? Or are we talking just the part supplied direct from Merc UK?
I think the latter

Engine ecu for a AMG or LED Headlight?

My plastic Fuel tank was £1,800 lol

The reason for asking is that while going through Volvo forum looking for some info on V90 petrols saw this 😱 (although related to hybrids only)
“As many people have reported there have been instances of failure of the electric motor in the rear axle. This unit is called the ERAD. In the past the entire unit has been replaced, which has been quoted as a circa 9k GBP cost. Repair is sometimes possible and there is now a repair and modification kit for this unit which I am led to believe is about 1.7k parts and about 12 hours labour. This will add up to a circa 3.5k GBP job to repair.”
I remember in one of the posts earlier it was mentioned that the battery pack for C300h or was it for E class was quoted £14k basically writing off the car.
Is it still the highest part quote or there is something else with bigger price tag?

The company I work for stores EV batteries for dealer network next day distribution for a major car retailer beginning with M.
The insurance value on those batteries is somewhere in the £20-30k range, per battery. I have no idea what they sell for.

Something to do with carbon ceramic brakes has got to be up there.

Apparently this SLS set should be £20k direct from Merc (according to the advert).

Just one carbon ceramic disc from one of the more exotic Mercs will, I'm sure, be mighty expensive. There are 'lightly used' ones available for the AMG GT C for a shade under £4k per disc (one side).

The company I work for stores EV batteries for dealer network next day distribution for a major car retailer beginning with M.
The insurance value on those batteries is somewhere in the £20-30k range, per battery. I have no idea what they sell for.
can't be Morris but could it be Morgan, Maserati or Mazda, Marcos, Mazda Mclaren, MG, Mini, or Mitsubishi? I am sure there are dozens more but there is also one more that is on the tip of my tongue but for the life of me, I cannot recall its name :wallbash::D

I remember a forum member on here was saying at one of the GTGs some while back, that a new door seal for the McMerc ‘SLR’ was around £10k (this was about ten years back!)

I always find the bits you assume to be expensive, often aren’t. And the insignificant part that you expect to be cheap will either be NLA or comes with a compete assembly costing 10x the price :)

As said though, often the labour is more than the cost of part. How much for a new piston ring on a V12 for example - fitted ;)

Not the most expensive but when I went the whole hog buying every OEM screw, clip, velcro ect ect for my c36 kit, the AMG tax was £40 for a "screw covering" . Wasn't sure what is was but bought it any way. When it turned up it was 2 bits of black insulation tape with one end rounded off !

That’s more on the real world side of things PMP.

I remember the rubber arch spats for the W202s with factory AMG wheels were quite expensive too, little things that you might not expect - I think the reason is they’re sold in much lower volumes than say a plastic part used on every W202 eg a grille insert or something.

Anything prefixed ‘HWA’ you had to hold your breath when you asked the question... ;)

Not the most expensive item per se but on a comparative scale the discs and pads for the SLK 55 AMG are massively expensive compared to the SLK 350 and even the SL55 AMG. I’ve no idea why, maybe someone could explain?

It was the main reason I decided not to buy a locally advertised one, even though it was pretty reasonably priced (thanks to Paul at Merparts for his expert advice).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom