The next "threat" to be controlled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The world can not exist without cars.

They bleat on about harmful things in the environment yet world population is growing...fast.

Apologies for saying this in another post but .......it has been estimated that just one of these container ships, the length of around six football pitches, can produce the same amount of pollution as 50 million cars. The emissions from 15 of these mega-ships match those from all the cars in the world

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/cargo-container-shipping-carbon-pollution/

Ships don't sail through city centres...

When it comes to air pollution, saving the planet is one issue.

Preventing Cancer and other pollution-related illnesses among city dwellers is another.

EVs are meant to improve air quality in populated urban areas.

Which is a good thing, even if the EVs are made in (say) Japan or China and then transported to the UK on mega-ships.

The use of the term "plastic" to describe these harmful particulates is sloppy terminology. Plastic and rubber are both polymers -materials composed of large molecules made up of large numbers of identical smaller molecules or Monomers. Rubber is an "elastomer". Unlike [ plastomers ] plastics where the monomers have relatively "stiff" structures with cross linking of chains the monomeric structures in elastomers are "bendy" giving rise to slightly different physical properties. The common factor of all polymeric materials is their chemical stability and thus their persistence in the environment. They might be better described as polymeric micro particulates or just micro particulates rather than microplastics

I love scientists ....

"Scientists analyzed more than 500 small particles pulled from the air around three busy German highways, and found that the vast majority — 89 percent — came from vehicle tires, brake systems and roads themselves."

So they studied the air around busy roads and discovered that two of the main things on the car that wear are in the air after testing for them. I wish they would head to the house of commons and test the air there to find out how much BS is in it. ;)

I like this one ...

Scientists unravel why laces come undone

Someone is working on a form of synthetic coral that filters the microparticles out.

It's difficult when the whole infrastructure of the developed world is reliant on vehicles which run on rubber tyres and tarmac roads!

It's all well and good pointing out the downsides but it's solutions that are needed! I don't the truth in what is said but what can the individual do? I mean I take public transport 90% of the time (for work) but a diesel car that runs uses tyres and tarmac is my lifeline! I suspect that applies to many people.

The world can not exist without cars.

It has before - and it can again. People just need to adapt.

yet world population is growing...fast.

Which may be why the number of cars is growing too.

I'm pro-car but I think we should be careful about deluding ourselves. The availability of these things means we adapt our lifestyles and as a collective we adapt our infrastructure to them. If they were not available we'd have different parameters as to how we travel for business and leisure and there would be different infrastructure priorities.

It's difficult when the whole infrastructure of the developed world is reliant on vehicles which run on rubber tyres and tarmac roads!

Does it have to be reliant?

We used to have an infrastructure that was based on trains. Huge areas of our cities and towns were occupied by railway yards. That reliance changed to road transport in most areas - so motorways and interchanges take up large areas and we have large carparks - and out of town shopping centres.

The use of the term "plastic" to describe these harmful particulates is sloppy terminology. Plastic and rubber are both polymers -materials composed of large molecules made up of large numbers of identical smaller molecules or Monomers. Rubber is an "elastomer". Unlike [ plastomers ] plastics where the monomers have relatively "stiff" structures with cross linking of chains the monomeric structures in elastomers are "bendy" giving rise to slightly different physical properties. The common factor of all polymeric materials is their chemical stability and thus their persistence in the environment. They might be better described as polymeric micro particulates or just micro particulates rather than microplastics

I did not understand any of that but then shoe laces confuse me.

Robin

Yup, but it will be replaced by glassfibre particulates near corners.
(When the car falls over hahaha)

Does it have to be reliant?

We used to have an infrastructure that was based on trains. Huge areas of our cities and towns were occupied by railway yards. That reliance changed to road transport in most areas - so motorways and interchanges take up large areas and we have large carparks - and out of town shopping centres.

Possibly not but it would require a hell of a lot of change but anything's possible. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom