The nightmare of charging in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always like SHMEE'S videos and he makes some very valid points. However fairly early on in the video he admits he keeps his car in central London where there are not many large fast charging sites to hand and he has no home fast charging facilities for his very powerful EV. Bearing in mind the current state of UK EV charging facilities thats a mismatch with perhaps predictable results.
Asked and answered as they say!
In terms of his problems experienced at various charging sites my guess is the sites are load/supply limited. Think one of these domestic multi-socket connector extension leads-- plug-in five table lamps no problem--- plug-in five electric fires and it blows a fuse! I reckon there's an overall current / load limit to these sites despite the number of charge-outlets present. Too many EVs using rapid charging and the system reduces power output. It might be a simple as someone else on site plugging in a Tesla model S on rapid charge to reduce overall charging currents for the whole site. Maybe even grid substation supply mediated especially during business hours. If the charger can't supply the current demanded the car may interpret this as a fault and cease charging. That's the advantage of off road home charging- guaranteed access and off peak demand supply and at the moment for peace of mind it's a must for EV owners. I certainly wouldn't contemplate owning an EV without it!

Last edited:
HAS HE MOVED ON?;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I always like SHMEE'S videos and he makes some very valid points. However fairly early on in the video he admits he keeps his car in central London where there are not many large fast charging sites to hand and he has no home fast charging facilities for his very powerful EV. Bearing in mind the current state of UK EV charging facilities thats a mismatch with perhaps predictable results.
In terms of his problems experienced at various charging sites my guess is the sites are load/supply limited. Think one of these domestic multi-socket connector extension leads-- plug-in five table lamps no problem--- plug-in five electric fires and it blows a fuse! I reckon there's an overall current / load limit to these sites despite the number of charge-outlets present. Too many EVs using rapid charging and the system reduces power output. It might be a simple as someone else on site plugging in a Tesla model S on rapid charge to reduce overall charging currents for the whole site. Maybe even grid substation supply mediated especially during business hours. If the charger can't supply the current demanded the car may interpret this as a fault and cease charging. That's the advantage of off road home charging- guaranteed access and off peak demand supply and at the moment for peace of mind it's a must for EV owners. I certainly wouldn't contemplate owning an EV without it!
Perhaps he should consider selling his cars and buying a home with parking.

Is it Milan or Rome that only let owners into the city on certain days?

Perhaps he should consider selling his cars and buying a home with parking.

Is it Milan or Rome that only let owners into the city on certain days?
READING BETWEEN THE LINES there appear to be 2 issues one for pollution and the other perhaps to free up some historical streets for the tourist trade?? A system only locals would be up to speed on , nightmare for the casual visitor!

Hi ,

I live in the Worcester area , and on a council owned car park the Tesla car battery charger system has been removed.

It has taken over three months from decommissioning the Tesla system to install the new charge system.

Great fanfair in local press regarding the ground breaking venture and guess what the system has failed.

3 cars looking for a charge !

As only Tesla owners can use Tesla supercharger locations I'm surprised one would be on a council owned car park, presumably open to all cars? Those spaces would then only be usable to Tesla cars?

maybe this?
Chargemaster appear to involved-now owned by BP

Introducing bp pulse​

Over 10 years ago, Chargemaster Ltd was founded when there were only a few electric vehicles on the road. In 2018, bp acquired bp Chargemaster and the Polar network and set out ambitious targets to support EV charging and meet our net zero aspirations. Today, bp pulse is bp’s UK electrification offer. Our goal is to make electric vehicle charging easier for our customers and partners.

Last edited:
3 cars looking for a charge !

80% of EV charging takes place at home. Now is that a reflection on the availability of the public charging infrastructure or is it simply that the cost of public charging is between 2 and 5 times more expensive. I rather think it's the latter.

If I owned an EV, paying 5 times more for a charge would be a distress purchase and as such would be only be done on long distance trips.

How to charge your electric car at home | Autocar

Recent UKPN visit to us (very rural, but how rural can you get in Sussex) the technician pointed out that the infrastructure is c80 years old and can barely support the 6 or 7 properties that it supplies, and that it categorically could not support every house having a car (or more) on charge each night! We are not a huge proportion of the population, but a bit like having to have oil central heating or private drainage (no gas or sewers), at least ICE cars can deal with the remoteness....

That’s an interesting point, as cities are the obvious ideal place for EV. London, surprisingly, has lagged behind in the roll out of fast fibre broadband. We ended up getting an expensive dedicated line for internet in our Bond Street office. Will the same apply for EV ? 🤷‍♂️

I admit I’m an EV sceptic, however, I do have friends that are happy with the technology..

I wonder if electric filling stations will install a diesel generator that kicks in to boost supply when there is a lot of cars plugged in

Just charging an i3 at home, use it for local / errand type trips. I’m paying £20 a month for about 500 miles. Means I’m not putting short miles on the Mercedes. There is a lot of public charging in Milton Keynes, but we just use the 13 amp charger overnight.
The public charging network isn’t there yet, and it’s so unregulated that you can pay way over the odds. But it’s coming along, and will have sorted itself out long before 2030.

May be some one could put a link on here, of the Tesler EV that cought fire in the USA that took over 4 hours to put out and that was through the battery going up in flames like a Roman candle ..

EV fires burn slowly allowing the occupants to escape and the fire service to contain the incident. I'd rather be in an EV fire than a gastank fire which will explode. Statistically, petrol/diesel fires are about 11 times more frequent than EV fires per billion miles driven.

@KillerHERTZ Was Shmee forced to buy the Taycan? Surely he was free to buy a petrol powered 911?

EV fires burn slowly allowing the occupants to escape and the fire service to contain the incident. I'd rather be in an EV fire than a gastank fire which will explode. Statistically, petrol/diesel fires are about 11 times more frequent than EV fires per billion miles driven.

And what about the times when people are trapped upside down? at least when a fire brigade arrive they can cover the car in foam to stop them from igniting after the crash. The fires in EVs occur when the lithium is exposed to 'air'.

By the time the fire brigade arrive to a petrol on fire the trapped people would be dead. Just watch a few Hollywood films or thrillers on TV, as you would see it is a common occurrence! :)

By the time the fire brigade arrive to a petrol on fire the trapped people would be dead. Just watch a few Hollywood films or thrillers on TV, as you would see it is a common occurrence! :)
Bruce Willis can get out and save everyone else.
And Superman is standing by for when Bruce is a bit busy.

Recent UKPN visit to us (very rural, but how rural can you get in Sussex) the technician pointed out that the infrastructure is c80 years old and can barely support the 6 or 7 properties that it supplies, and that it categorically could not support every house having a car (or more) on charge each night! We are not a huge proportion of the population, but a bit like having to have oil central heating or private drainage (no gas or sewers), at least ICE cars can deal with the remoteness....
Presumably you also have to schedule when you cook your dinner and have a shower then? Unless you go 3 phase, a home charge is going to draw 7kw. Rather less than a typical electric shower.

Has anyone with an EV switched leccy supplier to take advantage of cheap 'dead of night' charging rates such as Octopus Go's 5.00 p / kWh?

This is like owner of motor cars of the 1920 you had to search then for a petrol pump .History of my area showed just one petrol pump .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom