The Official Gucci & Burger DB5 1:8 model thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Flying in the face of popular opinion, the controversial DB5 1:8 model will be built over the coming 85 weeks. Don't forget to see the development in every detail. Yes, you'll scoff and offer up your "IMHO"s but that's too bad. We shall build them on the beaches, in the streets, on our dining room tables. We shall never surrender.

Enjoy. (we shall) :thumb:

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 389
Good luck with the build, and make sure you're wearing something waterproof when you take it for its first spin.

Being in the News trade, sorry to say it's got discontinued after issue 30 written all over it. Good luck though.

Make a spitfire or lancaster instead!

When it is discontinued someone like Sprinter315 will fettle the rest of the bits for them.

If it does end early, I'll build a Cygnet with the pieces instead

Being in the News trade, sorry to say it's got discontinued after issue 30 written all over it. Good luck though.

Not true according to their website......

James Bond 007 Aston Martin DB5 - Build up 1:8 Aston Martin DB5 Replica

However, personally, I would not be willing to shell out over £500 for this so-so PLASTIC model.
Trouble is it LOOKS like a model. Specially in the things like the wire wheels. Just not good enough in my view. Photos of a GOOD model should fool you in wondering whether its a model - or the real thing. This model neither convinces or fools. Despite being professionally constructed and finished.
I would rather spend a bit more and buy a proper model like a Pocher or a Miller kit and do the thing PROPERLY.

ScaleAutoWorks.com | Pocher.us | Pocher 1:8 scale kits, Pocher models, Autograph transkits, Ferrari 126 C2 1:8 kit (Gilles Villeneuve)

Just my personal opinion of course - and good luck to the OP in making the model.

Last edited:
While some parts are plastic for sure, the main parts are metal. The finished model weighs in at nearly 10 bags of sugar ;)

I think some people are judging this model far too much on a few early prototype photos and should reserve judgement until they see a finished example... just my opinion of course as a determined builder flying in the face of so much wisdom :)

I think some people are judging this model far too much on a few early prototype photos and should reserve judgement until they see a finished example...

Burger, if the photos on their website are of a prototype rather than the actual model you will be building, then I take back my previous criticisms of it. Seems a good way for the company to shoot themselves in the foot, though.

Burger, if the photos on their website are of a prototype rather than the actual model you will be building, then I take back my previous criticisms of it. Seems a good way for the company to shoot themselves in the foot, though.

Well, clearly I don't know that a finished example will be any better but so far they seem to be taking suggestions and criticisms on board and acting on them. I find it odd that they would move the rear quarter light catch position 1mm and correct a little protrusion on a headlight glass at Aston Martins request and yet let other parts pass as acceptable if they're clearly not. People could well be right that it's not worth the £600 as an object but I guess I'm just saying don't judge a book by its cover.

Remember too, this is a replica of a DB5 as modified for the film Goldfinger, it is not a replica of a pure DB5. Remember also that while there was a design for the DB5 and undoubtedly forms around which many panels were made. The cars were all hand made and so there could be significant differences from one to the next - not to mention wildly varying panel fits etc.

Anyway, I'm building one, and very happy to be doing so :)

To be fair, the points I mentioed in my post on the other thread were only in relation to items that would not have been affected by the modifcations overseen by Q. :) I know I used a photo of a standard model for the comparison, but that was just because I didn't have a profile shot of the Goldfinger car to hand.

But the news that they are listening to feedback and acting on it is encouraging.

How's the build going ?

Any pics ?

Hmmm, bit tricky with so few parts from different areas of the car. Second issue only just out. But rest assured, when enough pieces arrive in 4-5 working years, pics will be posted :D

As requested, the build so far...

errr, taking shape then :rolleyes:. I'll let you into a secret - I'm enjoying this project already, even though it's only a few issues old!

Attachments

• db5.jpg
    db5.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 152

Attachments

• db5model.jpg
    db5model.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom