The Official Gucci & Burger DB5 1:8 model thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 27652

The horn button, ignition switch and lighting switch all work. The dash board and radar screen are illuminated etc. Oh, and the little button under the flip top on the gear lever actually ejects the passenger :)

Ha ha! I'll bet all progress has been halted until the passenger seat is found! Reading this thread is a bit like building the kit - can't decide whether to read it all in one go, or in instalments! I have to say though, the detail looks fantastic.

Did you ever find that passenger seat? C'mon, we need an update :thumb:

I think it was Burger who lost it, fiddling with all the switches!

am_complete_001.jpg

Hello Burger, just finishing my DB5 but the final fit is proving tricky. The front wing held at 45 degrees and lowered over the engine doesn't seem to want to sit just right. It's sat in its position, but screw holes are misaligned and the doors are catching on closure. Can't quite see what's happened?

It certainly wasn't easy to fit it all together. I think I tried and failed to fit the front about 20 times but in the end, on one attempt, it just fitted in place. If the doors are binding then clearly it's not in the right place as once it is, at least on mine, the doors fit very well. Make sure the front screen is screwed down properly, Now I remember I had to elongate the holes in the front screen a little as when the roof section fitted into the front location holes, the screen holes were then misaligned. Maybe that will help?

I have quite a few comments on the model and must admit once again I'd forgotten about this thread since posting the covered picture. I'll post pics of the finished model with my comments soon.

Hope you get it done OK... it weighs a ton eh?

Thanks Burger, I had hoped it would've clipped in first time, but was life ever that easy? The fact it weighs a tonne doesn't help either - flipping it over is a four man job?!

Thanks for the tips, will give it another 19 whirls. Look forward to seeing the pics.

R

Have to say well done chaps, despite experience telling me that 90% of these partworks never reach the end you've proved me wrong.

OK, first some pics...

am_complete_002.jpg

am_complete_003.jpg

am_complete_004.jpg

am_complete_005.jpg

am_complete_006.jpg

am_complete_007.jpg

am_complete_008.jpg

am_complete_009.jpg

Overall it was fun building it but I do have some criticisms... I'll post them up shortly.

That looks very nice - great job.

The only thing that looks ever so slightly wrong and 'model like' (to my un-expert eyes) is the thickness of the spokes on the wire wheels??

That looks really good. Do you have a finished pic of it beside something of a known size, even a hand maybe?

Here's mine... couple of snags to sort, but happy to have completed it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 40
Well done both for sticking with it.

Having seen the finished articles, I remain disappointed with the attention to detail, given the overall cost and scale of the model. Perhaps the worst problem is the way they've handled the bodywork around the rear light cluster, which has none of the delicacy evident in the real car:

db5rear.jpg

Also, the curve of the bootlid (from horizontal to vertical) seems to be rather sharp and the positioning of the rear overriders seems to be off, but these points could be down to differences in the lighting and camera angles.

The wing mirrors also seem to be way out of proportion, as do the windscreen and A-pillar:

db5proportions.jpg

I agree, there are some anomalies and the fit isn't great in parts. As an overall piece it's impressive to look at. My brother saw it for the first time today and was wowed by it. It still surprises me just how heavy the thing is too.

Great work guys, well done for stcking with it. The rear view mirrors do look a smidge large IMO, but overall a mighty impressive piece of work

Well done for making the model. I wonder how many of those that started actually finished their car?

Reminds me of when I made a model of a Ferarri racing car (Nigel Mansells one) with a Tamiya kit. I got all the paints required (around 40 colours with all the non-standard mixes), painted everything exactly as required and glued it together. I did take pictures of the various sub-assemblies, because when it gets glued a lot of the detail cannot be seen!
My main learning point is that to do a good job with an air brush a garage is not the best place, a speck of dust on a model is not good!

Terry

Good work, both of you. They're really impressive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom