The old banger gets some TLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
In two years, I have really enjoyed the S202. I have at last solved the bonnet latch irritation but having done no more than fluids and filters for the last eighteen months, I have just found the time to give it some much deserved love.
Pulled the skirts off and found surface rust at the back of the offside sill so gave it a drop of Bondaprimer and then pulled the furniture off the tailgate and sanded the rust down to....
Nope, wrong guess, Sound metal!
Same for the frilly rear arches!
All primed up now and looking like a refugee from a banger race, missing loads of trim and covered in red patches.
I was surprised to find that the car was so sound, having heard about the reputation for rot.
The metal is good and thick and the car seems to be ageing well. More importantly, it has charmed me. I'm not bored with it and I'm finding it hard to think of a replacement for it.
Looks like it is a keeper.
ATE brake pads to go on and a new wing for the passenger's side then a good look at the suspension when time again permits.

1998 car. Delighted.

Last edited:
About a year ago, the passenger's door mirror was bashed off by the local human sewage and I repaired its folding frame using lockwire and araldite. This worked well until I encountered the French national mirror bashing team twice in one journey. I could have repaired it again but decided to search for a replacement and found out that a pair of W210 mirrors would cost less than an original W202 unit. Indicators I can wire,a light sensor ought to be easy enough or, maybe buy a dipping interior mirror. What it won't do though is fold 'em in when locking and fold 'em out when unlocking.
So, what do you need? Power derived from a fused supply, or the central locking unit and a signal from same to indicate it is in use. A pair of relays, one to switch the mirror in, one to switch the mirror out. A timer to control the time that the relay is operating.

Seems easy enough.
I'll skin one up and post a circuit diagram if anybody is interested.

Loved my old C250 Estate. It was just a bit small for my needs. They are a good bus.

Spent all yesterday afternoon washing and polishing! Don't think it had seen a good cut and wax for some time
ae0e38c7c8a2069b585059d5fde66809.jpg
f2507fc5433cbbed9939ce0c9c2b4fc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom