The Old Grey Whistle Test: For One Night Only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Tonight for 3 hours.

Summary​

`Whispering' Bob Harris hosts a three-hour special, originally broadcast to mark the 30th anniversary of the landmark BBC music show's final broadcast. Music comes courtesy of former Old Grey Whistle Test stars Peter Frampton, Richard Thompson and Albert Lee, and past presenters Annie Nightingale, Richard Williams, David Hepworth and Andy Kershaw all put in appearances, sharing stories from their time with the show.
Read more

Review​

By Jane Rackham
In 1971 OGWT shuffled on to our TV screens and became essential viewing for anyone with a serious interest in rock music. Because it took itself very seriously indeed. All performers were treated with respectful consideration.

It’s probably hard for anyone under the age of 50 to understand just how influential it was, but over 17 years it featured legendary performances from New York Dolls, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Dire Straits, the Damned and many others, giving countless obscure bands their first taste of fame.

Thirty years after the series was last broadcast, Bob Harris hosts a live evening of memories, performances (including Richard Thompson and Albert Lee) and archive clips that should transport you back to those Tuesday nights, when even the coolest 20-something was watching TV.

Read less

How to watch​

Next showing​

channeltimestatus
BBC Four
BBC Four
Fri 17 Sep 9:40pm - 12:45am

I wasn’t into at all when it was on.

To me, it seemed like a load of old smelly hippies playing noisy rubbish 🤣🤣

Nowadays if it’s on an obscure TV station I’ll quite happily watch it because I think it’s miles better than the shite that’s out today. 👍👍
Isn’t life weird.

Loved it. Recommended.

I run this kind of stuff as wallpaper. It wasn't showbiz, more informal "Music reporting."

Here's the three hour programme - for those outside the UK (Or those WFH this afternoon.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That was excellent, what a legacy the show leaves. Well worth watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom