The other Merc club?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BUG4LIFE

Car
Subaru Forester STi
Not sure if it's ok to ask here, but...am I right in saying you've got to be a paid up member to get on the forum or Cars for Sale pages on the 'Official Mercedes-Benz Club' site [this one - https://mercedes-benz-club.co.uk]?

Bit annoying, as I want to have a butchers at a car I know is for sale on the site [and do some digging]!

Not sure if it's ok to ask here, but...am I right in saying you've got to be a paid up member to get on the forum or Cars for Sale pages on the 'Official Mercedes-Benz Club' site [this one - https://mercedes-benz-club.co.uk]?

Bit annoying, as I want to have a butchers at a car I know is for sale on the site [and do some digging]!
I believe so

Yep! ;)

As it's a club site, which everybody else has contributed to, seems only fair to me, I'm in both and value is about equal, I.E. this is as good as theirs.

As it's a club site, which everybody else has contributed to, seems only fair to me, I'm in both and value is about equal, I.E. this is as good as theirs.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. If I become a Merc owner, I probably will join up...but I'm not a Merc owner yet!!

We 'charge' 30 posts before you can advertise
That seems quite fair to me; but it might encourage people to make unnecessary posts - although I haven't noticed this.

In the past, I have seen new-ish members posting a series of trivial posts - Almost certainly placed just to qualify them for ads and use of the forum message service.
Scandalous !!
This Forum has always been excellent value.

That seems quite fair to me; but it might encourage people to make unnecessary posts - although I haven't noticed this.
Yup.

(Look for posts similar to that one... that's what some newbies do to get to their 30 posts quickly).

Reactions: 219
They charge £££

We 'charge' 30 posts before you can advertise, yet almost daily we get new members moaning its unfair
The fees , last I looked , were something like £35/year . All depends what you want - they do in normal circumstances run many events around the country and one can go along and see some lovely and rare cars . They also have some excellent publications , and have negotiated discounts with some dealers , they also enjoy support from M-B .

Their web forum , IMHO , is a bit ‘Marmite’ : I have been a member since 1978 , and I started the Scottish Section the following year , long before there was a website .

The original website , set up and run by Kenny Ooi , had a very nice ‘clubby’ feel ; but once it grew too big and a commercial company were brought in to run it , with administrators and self styled ‘leaders’ being parachuted in , for me it lost its appeal .

These days I only get the magazines , which my son reads , and I no longer attend meetings , so I’m minded to let my membership lapse .

If I still had the Ponton it would be different since they are unrivalled for support for historic models , but with the cars I run nowadays it isn’t of value to me anymore.

I have been a member for 8 years and I still haven’t got to 30 posts I normally only post if I have a question or something to say.
maybe I will get there in the end .
Dell
just noticed this is my 30th post

We joined the Official Mercedes club a few years ago, I manly wanted access to the EPC parts catalogue. We have done a few shows they have attended (more when we were in the North West area), always well organised.
The magazine is good quality. The forum, I skim over now and again, it can be a bit elitist.

The fees , last I looked , were something like £35/year . All depends what you want - they do in normal circumstances run many events around the country and one can go along and see some lovely and rare cars . They also have some excellent publications , and have negotiated discounts with some dealers , they also enjoy support from M-B .

Their web forum , IMHO , is a bit ‘Marmite’ : I have been a member since 1978 , and I started the Scottish Section the following year , long before there was a website .

The original website , set up and run by Kenny Ooi , had a very nice ‘clubby’ feel ; but once it grew too big and a commercial company were brought in to run it , with administrators and self styled ‘leaders’ being parachuted in , for me it lost its appeal .

These days I only get the magazines , which my son reads , and I no longer attend meetings , so I’m minded to let my membership lapse .

If I still had the Ponton it would be different since they are unrivalled for support for historic models , but with the cars I run nowadays it isn’t of value to me anymore.
And some "leaders" are a bit dictatorial with their responses, losing my interest in it too.

I got barred when I asked a club official if he was homophobic after he referred to Dominic Cummings as Bo Jo’s secret boyfriend 😂

:)
I could well have fallen into that trap !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom