The Palmball effect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
Ok from being happy with my motors of choice I have (since reading Andrews XKR acquisition) decided a new daily driver could be justified to replace the Lexus.

Budget £20k inc lexus px so no Maybachs but the choice of big engined metal under 4 years is amazing

Current fave - XJR JAG 2008 with all toys and the reliable 4.2 sc engine however A8s are available and I've never had an Audi.

No hurry to acquire but a lot of fun looking ;-)

Hello

Budget 20K plus what ever you get for the lexus or 20K tops.

either way..I've had a quick look.

S8 V10 (is this the lambo engine?)
Autec Cars LTD : AUDI S8 S8 FSI QUATTRO 4DR TIP AUTO FULLY LOADED HUGE SPEC

M5 V10 (over 200mph?)
BMW : BMW M5 V10 2006 VERY LOW MILES

Massa
AUTOPRESTIGE CARS LTD : DUO SELECT AB4 HIGH SPEC RECENT CLUTCH

The bills would scare me on some of these though...they may be £20K to £30K now but were probably £80K cars new and lots of things that could go wrong?

I didn't look at Jags as didn't you have a XF? so didn't think you would want another.

However with this being a Merc forum, this looks nice

CL500
Howard Wise Cars : 07/07 Mercedes CL500 - Iridium Silver/Blk Leather

I would ask you but this, keep it 18months and I will buy it off you for £20K

ALEXANDERS PRESTIGE : MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS E63 K AMG ESTATE TIP AUTO MASSIVE SPEC

At the end of the day probably quicker than all the rest and far more useful !!!

£20k tops whatever the Lexus makes plus cash.

We have 2 kids coming on 2012 so need a 4 door with a bit if space

Also to save hassle a nearby garage ruling out a Mas on this occasion

No hurry and I believe prices will drop further in the new year gloom mid Jan.

The Merc Estate then easily.

or any other rapid estate but can only think of a RS4/6 did the M5 do one in RHD?

£20k tops E63 too much !

A8 being checked out this afternoon

Looking at Phaeton today - 2010 - £19,990 sadly not a W12 but a Diesel - intrigued over build quality

A8 3.0 TDI ...everytime. Nothing can touch the build quality, equipment, reliability etc. And its quick enough after a remap.

Phaeton.

I've had one of those (briefly. ...long story. There's a thread on it)

Build and drive was brilliant. A great car indeed. Better screwed together than a CL500 would you believe.

Give one a try.

Looking at Phaeton today - 2010 - £19,990 sadly not a W12 but a Diesel - intrigued over build quality

Is there not an issue with steel rivets being used to hold the aluminium body panels together.

Corrosion etc on a different level to a Mercedes.

I remember your views re the XF and its build and the feeling of cheapness.

You've done the 55k AMG route.

How about an Audi S6, cheap as chips and whilst not as good as an AMG, certainly different and surefooted driving experience.

Funnily enough my local skoda dealer had an s6 in and straight out again - at sub 20k they are in demand.

Hmm someone mention infinity ....... Lol

Is there not an issue with steel rivets being used to hold the aluminium body panels together.

Corrosion etc on a different level to a Mercedes.

I did thorough research on Phaetons 2-3 years back, and am not aware of the issue. Check the VW Vortex forum.

Infinity - go try one and report back what it's like!! I'm curious.

Now don't go and start a thread with my name plastered all over it and then go and buy some crap tat!

And with that said I'm going to suggest this as a oddball choice....the new model has got reasonable reviews and I don't want any excuses that there's no local dealer....Bauer Millet are just a shoot down the M62 from you!

So, if the Phaeton is crap, the Infinity too ordinary, a BMW/Merc/Audi too common then how about a Caddy....Bauer Millett & Co. Ltd. : 2010/10 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Duplicate thread (my previous one was so good and with such sound advice ;) that I tried to post it twice!)

Last edited:
Those Cadillac's are based on SAAB floorpans and running gear I think, they are certainly full of SAAB switchgear and instruments.

Had a Caddy CTS as a rental car for two weeks in the USA last year. As American cars go, it was among the better ones but it still fell far short of European levels of handling & ride.

It was stuffed full of toys (including very effective ventillated seats), but the trim was a bit on the low-rent side, some of the switchgear felt nasty, and the packaging was rubbish: e.g. check out the boot size, it's pathetic for a shell that size. Also, bearing in mind the claimed horsepower but the somewhat lethargic performance, I commented to a business colleague that I could only assume that Cadillac horses are somewhat smaller than average :D

Overall, it wasn't a bad car but there are plenty better.

Haggling on a CL500 2007 - under book at a main dealer and low miles.

If it works out it will be a relative bargain (until I want shut and it's worth £15k)

Update as it happens ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom