The perfect companion to my CLS..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stig2082

Car
CLS 350 Shooting Brake and a cheeky TVR Chimera
Much as I love my CLS, no one would claim it is a sports car and I have always retained a hankering for a 2 seater roadster (having owned some years ago) Finally took the plunge the other week and bought a 04 Honda s2000. They are marmite cars, but I am hugely enjoying it, partly as it is such an opposite extreme to the CLS. But they kind of work as a pair and you appreciate the quailites of each a bit more after driving them both. The Honda no thrills go-kart high revving experience is huge fun and I do like having a gear box to control - and boy is it fine one. But then getting in the luxurious torque city which is the CLS, arguably faster (have the brabus fitted) makes me love the way it whisks you along with such minimal effort. And then I jump in the S, lower the roof in 6 seconds and rev the nuts off it. Redlining at 9,000 rpm is quite astonishing and noisy! So very happy with the pairing, and enjoying being able to choose which expierence to have - though of course for most practical journeys/real life situations the CLS is the one.

Stig2082 said:
Much as I love my CLS, no one would claim it is a sports car and I have always retained a hankering for a 2 seater roadster (having owned some years ago) Finally took the plunge the other week and bought a 04 Honda s2000. They are marmite cars, but I am hugely enjoying it, partly as it is such an opposite extreme to the CLS. But they kind of work as a pair and you appreciate the quailites of each a bit more after driving them both. The Honda no thrills go-kart high revving experience is huge fun and I do like having a gear box to control - and boy is it fine one. But then getting in the luxurious torque city which is the CLS, arguably faster (have the brabus fitted) makes me love the way it whisks you along with such minimal effort. And then I jump in the S, lower the roof in 6 seconds and rev the nuts off it. Redlining at 9,000 rpm is quite astonishing and noisy! So very happy with the pairing, and enjoying being able to choose which expierence to have - though of course for most practical journeys/real life situations the CLS is the one.

Great cars the s2000 my eldest boy has just bought an 03 pre-face lift and once you get that vtec spinning up its a hoot. I was really impressed with it and on my 1st outing after I think he was worried I had run off in it. A great fun foil to your CLS congratulations.

Thanks! And part of the attraction is how relatively cheap they are - and 'touch wood' you get Honda reliability.

I drove an 05 S2000 for 6 years, 4 of which were alongside a CLS. The S is a fabulous car, the engine still has one of the highest outputs for a NA engine at 120hp per litre, fantastic gearbox which I still miss, and the noise on VTEC especially with the air box lid removed (try it). However treat it with respect, the LSD is vicious and can spit you off the road on standing water in a straight line.........My biggest issue was what to replace it with, and I finally I settled on an R172 SLK55 with 420hp and another fantastic sounding engine (wish I could have the S gearbox though).

There are a few ex S2000 drivers on here, most have C63 AMGs, anyway enjoy your S and make sure you join the S2UK owners club

Enjoy

RR

Thanks for advice, am being cautious with it when I push it hard. Interesting that AMG is the way to go afterwards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom