The Perfect Launch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SavMan

Authorised Forum Sponsor
Car
E55K AMG
On the 16th a few of us are heading up to Santa Pod for some fun on the 1/4 mile you can find details here and are welcome to join us http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/131530-santa-pod-16-06-a.html

For those that have raced the 1/4 you will know that the first 60ft is all important, so how to get a perfect launch.

I have an E55 AMG Wagon using street tyres and this is my method

Go around water!
Raise rear to 5mm above standard height, dip front end 16mm below standard.
Put suspension in comfort mode
Choose "S" setting on gearbox and manually select 1st gear
ESP on
Left foot brake
Light throttle to 1000 rpm
On Go - Lift brake and roll gently to 1/4 throttle, then progressively 1/2, 3/4 and full WOT

What's your thoughts, on my last attempt I was still struggling with traction right through the first 60ft!

Full Sunday roast, either lamb, beef or chicken with lashings of gravy, veg and yorkie puddings

Oh hang on I may have misread the post title

:D

If I am lucky the only stat I have any chance of matching is the RT but even that would take some going.
Mine automatically selects 1st when in S. In C it selects 2nd. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Going to see if I'm allowed to come along.

Mine automatically selects 1st when in S. In C it selects 2nd. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Going to see if I'm allowed to come along.

Peace of mind I can see its in 1st and shift earlier if I like.

Paul it takes a few attempts mate, at TRAX i got it spot on on the first go, couldnt match my initial 0-60 time again!

Paul it takes a few attempts mate, at TRAX i got it spot on on the first go, couldnt match my initial 0-60 time again!

I suppose I am just not sure if it should be a 2nd gear or 1st gear from start, when I have taken my Skyline it just gripped as you fed the throttle. I just don't get any feeling yet of grip levels with the E55.

All of the above will help but with the amount of power you have you are in for a very frustrating day on road tyres.

Which is why I bought this little package.:)

phuppimagelbz.jpg

All of the above will help but with the amount of power you have you are in for a very frustrating day on road tyres.

phuppimagelbz.jpg

I hate you Paul. Now you're going to be Car No. 1 there too! :D

If you think you have problems then you should try launching a Cerbera weighing around 1200kgs, RWD and over 400bhp.....not easy :D

What sort times do you guys pull at Santa Pod?

Jules.

If you think you have problems then you should try launching a Cerbera weighing around 1200kgs, RWD and over 400bhp.....not easy :D

What sort times do you guys pull at Santa Pod?

Jules.

Easier then then fully modified E55 :D

Mid to high 11s for the faster cars I would say. As long as I trap over 123mph I will be happy.

phuppimagelbz.jpg

I take it you have to fit spacers with those as they look like the 16 inch CLK wheels, how much clearance from the disks?

20mm spacer. No much but as long as it clears it's fine. I've had these for nearly a year and not used them yet. Some 3 years I've had this car, visited pod twice lol. Hardly worth the money spent on these.:(

Easier then then fully modified E55 :D

Mid to high 11s for the faster cars I would say. As long as I trap over 123mph I will be happy.

Will let you know once I get an E55 but the Cerb took some practice, best time being 11.9 @ 117mph with a 1.8 sec 60ft on std alloys and road tyres.

I've not had a quicker car than my Cerb since selling it a few years back, so it will be good to get something comparable or faster.

Mid 11's must feel amazing in a big car like the E55......

Jules

Will let you know once I get an E55 but the Cerb took some practice, best time being 11.9 @ 117mph with a 1.8 sec 60ft on std alloys and road tyres.

I've not had a quicker car than my Cerb since selling it a few years back, so it will be good to get something comparable or faster.

Mid 11's must feel amazing in a big car like the E55......

Jules

That's fast alright. E55 feels amaizing at WOT!

11.6 @ 123 1.9 60 my best, very hot that day done maybe 4 runs.

Bloody good that for a 2 Ton car!

Quickest thing I ever owned over a 1/4 mile was a Honda Fireblade which would crack 10.4 secs.

That said it only weighed 200kgs! ;)

Ok probably will get laughed off the thread for this but...

The SBS system. Once it's applied, what actually disengages it? Obviously a dab on the accelerator, yes, but would it be feasible to alter it so it remains engaged until a pre-determined setting? Say 1000rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom