The perils of overtly large numbers of retrofits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
You may remember me from such posts as "I installed thermotronic, not just the display".

I have in fact been modifying my car on and off since it ran out of warranty. And what I learned from all of that is that these cars are quite amazing to work on.

For a while there I had a hybrid of 2000 W203 with 2008 W203. Needless to say it did odd things like whine about the coolant level and flicker the high beam on the xenon headlamps. But now that the last set of modules has been installed the errors seem to have all but vanished.

now the rain sensor doesnt exist ... it thinks it is a Hella all-in-one module. Darn I have to buy one more control panel. Oh and some fuel senders.

Well the project picks up where most leave. It is quite exhausting and I think the car will outlast me. The rotors were so rusty that I drove the first 100m at idle speed.

Now that I have ticked all the normal boxes .... with the help of Sunman and MBENZNL and Richard I am venturing into new territory with electric trunk closer, distronic, reversing camera and keyless go. All of these will be correctly installed but the chances of getting Daimler to issue me with a keyless go ignition key are pot luck. I am sure they would faint if asked to code the virgin blank key I already have.

I think the only option I dont have is AMG engine. After seeing the beast S55 engine Sunman installed in his C320 I thought long and hard about leaving my C180 with its original engine and gearbox. It is serial number 527 in a series of more than a million.

I must say that the nicest thing is the Birds-Eye Maple trim I have. It blended nicely with the blue interior and blue glass. Modification is a lot of fun but it will really hurt your wallet. I plan to keep my car for another 20 years or so. Once it gets up to 1 million km I might start again with another car. Or perhaps not.

I have CLK front nose in stock .... that engine bay is going to grow by another 60mm. Rather funny having an M111 engine in such a huge space.

End rant !

I admire the gusto you put into your mods. Have you some pics of your mods. I have a well specced 2003 CLK but stil struggle with my D2b and no Parktronic.
Question..is there anything I can do to make my Comand have ID3 tags?

Was thinking of selling up and getting a newer model with APS50. I've garaged the car for a couple of months and been driving the micra for short journeys and to save fuel. Just brought it out of the garage over the weekend for a 250 mile family trip and fell in love with the car again. So I'm considering retrofitting Parktronic and making user friendly mods to Comand...ipod and Bluetooth but don't know which is easier on the pocket and close to the real thing.

Was thinking of selling up and getting a newer model with APS50. I've garaged the car for a couple of months and been driving the micra for short journeys and to save fuel. Just brought it out of the garage over the weekend for a 250 mile family trip and fell in love with the car again. So I'm considering retrofitting Parktronic and making user friendly mods to Comand...ipod and Bluetooth but don't know which is easier on the pocket and close to the real thing.

I went mad and fitted the APS50 to my D2B car. To be honest it would be like lowering the ocean to recover the Titanic.

If you are sufficiently passionate about keeping the car it is possible to rewire for APS50, ipod and Bluetooth but your cars are SOOOOOO cheap there now it makes no sense to do anything.

We pay about 6X more for used cars than in the UK. I couldnt say that it would make a lot of sense tipping 4000 pounds into a car, whereas in Australia it would be no problem to justify it.

To get parktronic you need new bumpers so you may as well make those AMG bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom