The Police state us here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...Imagine getting up early to go to the airport and you car zero range.

Personally I'd call a cab, but I do appreciate that some people live dozens of miles from the nearest airport, and for them a cab could be pricey.

Personally I'd call a cab, but I do appreciate that some people live dozens of miles from the nearest airport, and for them a cab could be pricey.
60 miles to the nearest airport and no bus or train service from anywhere near me.

Hi , don't forget that the National grid can empty your electric car battery if they are short on generating capacity.

Imagine getting up early to go to the airport and you car zero range.

There is no way on this earth I would allow the grid to cycle my battery unless there was sufficient recompense for the reduction in battery life.

Lets do the sums:

An EV battery is said to be good for 1500 -2000 charge/discharge cycles. Lets call it 2000.

Replacing a battery isn't going to be cheap and will be at least half of the new car price. Lets be generous and say £20K fitted although I've no doubt it could be alot more

£20K/2000 = £10

That means you have to earn £10 profit every time the grid cycles your battery but the amount of electricity involved is only worth £5. This is a non starter not least because compared with static batteries, EV battery replacement will always be too expensive for it's rated capacity. If the grid wants to manage peak loads they need their own batteries at a lower cost/KWh which they will achieve without car manufacturer/main dealer inflation of the price.

Not true, as I’m sure you know.
It is though, do low speed manouvering take your foot off the throttle and the car just stops like having a seized caliper

It is though, do low speed manouvering take your foot off the throttle and the car just stops like having a seized caliper

I think you are referring to regenerative braking.

On most EVs, you can select the level of regenerative braking from none (drives like an ICE car) to max (also known as 'one-pedal' mode due to the fact that you don't need to use the brake pedal).

The regenerative braking recovers kinetic energy while braking, then converts it to electricity, and returns it to the battery, thus extending the range.

This is also the reason that the discs and pads on EVs hardly wear.

But, as said, you can turn it off completely if you don't like it.

(In fact, the car decides when it should use regenerative braking and when not, the driver only adjusts what happens when they lift the foot of the brake pedal)

Reactions: PXW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom