The Police state us here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
..Those who charge from a 3 pin socket wouldn’t be affected but considering that adds 2kWh and hour you can really use it if you drive everyday so would affect a tiny proportion.

It really depends on how much tax they put on electricity for EVs. If the discrepancy between the price from a 3-pin and from a home charger will be very significant, people will make the effort and avoid the home chargers. They'll leave the car connected to the 3-pin 24x7, and only use the home charger for emergencies and quick top-ups when needed.

I cannot imagine this generation (millennials & their kids) coping with something like WW1 or WW2.
A war, oh my god, if they are blocking roads regarding house insulation, image what it would be like then. Should there actually be a conflict it will be plastic guns & you shout "Your dead" just like my generation when we were out playing. Playing, what's that, oh don't get me started on that one

Hi , well it looks as if black boxes will be fitted to all cars for road pricing.

However , UK government is short of money so how long will it be before they sell other information to Insurance companies , car companies or an person with any interest.

Not long I bet.
If they have a legitimate interest I can't see the problem.

More conspiracies......for the wokies. I agree with you @chic0821. The millienals are now of an age where they are moving into senior government, politics and heading up big companies, school heads etc..... I pity the younger generation but they will be used to the snowflake wokes.

Imagine the world when the woke bunch get into power. We will not be allowed to say boo to a goose (oops are we allowed to say that or is that somehow insulting to a goose??).

I cannot imagine this generation (millennials & their kids) coping with something like WW1 or WW2.

I have decided that most people don't intend to offend anybody, not intentionally

Unfortunately the woke generation start each day by intentionally looking to get offended by some minor comment or statement or person..... all seems wrong to me.

Blimey Adele has been slated for saying she is proud to be a woman at the Brit awards!!? what's that all about??? Good on her.

The media love to portray the world as being full of wokeists. Like most things on tv radio it is bulls**t. The graffitti in underpasses is just the same as it was in the 1990's. Phone XXXXXX for a shag, XXX is a sl*g etc etc. The only thing that has gone is the former racist element, which is a positive but todays youth is still as full of angst as it ever was. They have a lot to be angsty about though with the amount of lies they have to mentally filter on a daily basis.

Last edited:
A war, oh my god, if they are blocking roads regarding house insulation, image what it would be like then. Should there actually be a conflict it will be plastic guns & you shout "Your dead" just like my generation when we were out playing. Playing, what's that, oh don't get me started on that one

Playing outside? It's not a thing anymore....

I have decided that most people don't intend to offend anybody, not intentionally

Unfortunately the woke generation start each day by intentionally looking to get offended by some minor comment or statement or person..... all seems wrong to me.

Blimey Adele has been slated for saying she is proud to be a woman at the Brit awards!!? what's that all about??? Good on her.
Or even get offended on the behalf of other people.

I think that the new-media age made a significant difference.

In the old days, people only saw leaders (and other great men and women) through the very narrow periscope of how newspapers portrayed them at the time, which was often an idealised and idolised version of the person.

In contrast, in these modern times we know in detail each and every row that Boris and Carrie had, we know about David Cameron's links to the Panama affair, we know how much Blair is getting for a speech, we know about Prince Phillip's gaffs, we know about how Prince Andrew (allegedly) mistreated staff 40 years ago, etc etc.

In short, we know that these public figures are human, just like the rest of us, and are far from perfect.

However, for some reason, we have a difficulty in accepting that those who lived before the new-media age, were also human and not perfect, instead we are horrified to learn that they had, in fact, just like everyone else, faults.

Last edited:
Many do not have the fortitude to do what our forefathers did in WW1 & WW2 (imagine this lot at the Somme or “signing up” at 16). I’m afraid to say too much as it is bound to offend somebody.

However, for some reason, we have a difficulty in accepting that those who lived before the new-media age, are also humans and not perfect, instead we are horrified to learn that they had, in fact, just like everyone else, faults.
Well put! Not only did they have faults but many times they were doing what was considered normal at the time. We now know better.

I wonder how many received a Rhodes scholarship (and now support cancelling of him) are lining up to repay the donation they received?

I am in my twilight years so BEV don't come into the equation. I don't belong to Facebook or any other social media site and have one bank and credit card and pay cash in a pub. Keep surveillance to the minimum possible.
Tax BEV on foot print/size and or weight. These huge SUV etc would cost around £1000 plus per year, that would cut down the size of vehicles on our over crowded roads. BEV to be fitted with smart meters to tax the amount of electricity used.

I am in my twilight years so BEV don't come into the equation. I don't belong to Facebook or any other social media site and have one bank and credit card and pay cash in a pub. Keep surveillance to the minimum possible.
Tax BEV on foot print/size and or weight. These huge SUV etc would cost around £1000 plus per year, that would cut down the size of vehicles on our over crowded roads. BEV to be fitted with smart meters to tax the amount of electricity used.

I am not in my twenties either.... I don't think it's a question of age, an EV can be driven and used like any other car, apart for charging instead of refuelling.

In fact, before deciding on getting an EV, I took one for a test drive (it was an ID.4), which both Mrs MJ and myself drove, with the intention of seeing how 'normal' it felt to drive, which it did, and we ended up getting one (not an ID.4, though). Once you're in it, it's just a car.

Of course you can play around with millions of settings if you wanted to, but you can also leave everything in 'default' or 'auto' and just drive the car.

With regards gizmos and gadgets, with the exception of maybe Tesla, EVs don't have any more toy-tech than you'll find in most modern ICE cars in the same price bracket.

That said, you can pay for petrol or Diesel in cash, but you need a bank card to charge an EV on a public charger. So unless you install a home charger, you'll need a card.

As for taxing EVs, I am all in favour of it, but I don't see why it should be taxed different to other cars. E.g., taxing on weight is fine, across the board, including Range Rovers and vans etc. The way I see it, at current EVs are undertaxed, some people want to see it overtaxed, personally I think all cars should be taxed to the same yard stick.

BEV to be fitted with smart meters to tax the amount of electricity used.
What a great idea.

Inbuilt metering of EV's would be useful in showing exactly how much of that limited resource, electricity, they actually use.

Then a comparison could be made with the average electricity usage of the typical 2 up 2 down UK home. When electricity shortages come priorities have to be set and the home and business supply (lighting, heating, cooking and employment) would in a rational society always take precedence over the EV supply.

Last edited:
markjay. I am a petrol head not electrohead.
Buy a 5/10 year old BEV and then get landed with a huge bill for new battery. No thanks.
Have never driven an electric car, the would be very smooth with excellent performance and totally soulless.
Like driving my Ipad. That's what many people want, A to B with minimum fuss.
Bank card use, that's my choice.

Hi , don't forget that the National grid can empty your electric car battery if they are short on generating capacity.

Imagine getting up early to go to the airport and you car zero range.

...When electricity shortages come priorities have to be set and the home and business supply (lighting, heating, cooking and employment) would in a rational society always take precedence over the EV supply.

I fully agree, and I didn't buy into the idea that taxing cars takes away mobility from the masses. It's all about priorities, and, with respect, as far as society is concerned, private car mobility for city dwellers is not a priority (i.e. unless disabled, or tradesmen, etc).

markjay. I am a petrol head not electrohead.
Buy a 5/10 year old BEV and then get landed with a huge bill for new battery. No thanks.
Have never driven an electric car, the would be very smooth with excellent performance and totally soulless.
Like driving my Ipad. That's what many people want, A to B with minimum fuss.
Bank card use, that's my choice.
Driving an electric is like driving a car with a seized brake caliper

Hi , don't forget that the National grid can empty your electric car battery if they are short on generating capacity.

Imagine getting up early to go to the airport and you car zero range.
If that ever happens, and if you have an EV, and if your EV is capable of it, and if it’s mandatory and not user selectable, and if you have to get up early to go to the airport, and if it still worries you, then you could just disconnect your car from the charger in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom