The power of the "gunsight"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CabrioDave

Car
A124 E220 Cabriolet
Back in 1982/83, my daily driver was a W116 450SE ... and I loved it.

The warm memory was one of the reasons why I came to buy my present A124 Cabriolet (as a prototype classic car) a few months ago. So much of the styling and detail (though not the power ... ) was still the same. I found myself really enjoying the "regal wafting" style of driving.

Then, while polishing the bonnet, I broke off the star badge.

Suddenly, I drove differently. In front of me now was just a "normal bonnet" of a "normal car". No sense of regal progress so ... no regal progress!

I've now fitted a new star ... and it's back! The car has been promoted again, and I feel no need to rush.

Is it just me, or are modern cars missing something important?

Back in 1982/83, my daily driver was a W116 450SE ... and I loved it.

The warm memory was one of the reasons why I came to buy my present A124 Cabriolet (as a prototype classic car) a few months ago. So much of the styling and detail (though not the power ... ) was still the same. I found myself really enjoying the "regal wafting" style of driving.

Then, while polishing the bonnet, I broke off the star badge.

Suddenly, I drove differently. In front of me now was just a "normal bonnet" of a "normal car". No sense of regal progress so ... no regal progress!

I've now fitted a new star ... and it's back! The car has been promoted again, and I feel no need to rush.

Is it just me, or are modern cars missing something important?

Just you...the coupés don't have the star. :p

Just you...the coupés don't have the star. :p

"The coupés" (whatever that means) certainly did. And now don't.

As far as I can determine, only the S Class saloons now have the star. Pedestrian safety was a good reason to get rid of the star ... so why does the S-Class have it?

The 'sporty' trim Mercs generally don't have the star.

For the UK, MB decided to omit the star from all C-Class models... including the SE and SE Executive etc.

So if you want a new C-Class with a star, you can either order it in Germany and import it, or you can buy a star-grill and star (and bonnet?) in Germany then replace them on your new UK-spec Merc....

Not coming to the UK any time soon:

107150-2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-first-drive.3-lg.jpg

W205.png

W205.png

Last edited:
All nine Benzes I've owned have had bonnet stars. I can't see myself buying a Mercedes without one.

Did you get a blue laurel leaf base star in the end Dave?

I opened this thread thinking it was breaking news that somebody had managed to get to the new US President already! :eek:
Don't really know why but I love the bonnet star on my car. Seems to give it a more classy look.

Last edited:
I really missed the bonnet star from my CLS55, from the driver's seat it could almost, I said almost, look like a BMW... :eek:

I consider bonnet star a necessity, totally indispensable. Without it I couldn't 'shoot' the a5sholes I find blocking my progess. Great therapy. :D

All nine Benzes I've owned have had bonnet stars. I can't see myself buying a Mercedes without one.

Probably the prime reason for hanging on to my 21 year old C124! (Sad git)

After over twenty years of Mercedes ownership, I consider them now to be indistinguishable from other German brands. Credit where credit is due, only BMW, Bentley and Rolls Royce (all German) now retain anything vaguely resembling a traditional grille. And for those who would argue that the present grille harks back to the SL, remember it is ubiquitous on vans and lorries too - a market the above-three have not entered.

It's a bit ironic that Kia are now punting out some good-looking vehicles with an immediately recognisable grille. Mercedes have made a big mistake in the UK market.

Yes, I did, thanks ... eventually! First purchase was a good-looking but ineffectual cheap copy; second from eBay a genuine used part which then didn't match the eBay picture (the pictured item was fine; what came had absolutely all the blue enamel polished away, a corroded star, and a dent. I returned it, and the seller claimed never received. Until I mentioned the signature shown on Royal Mail's tracking site ... )

So, off to my local M-B dealership (Birmingham), which had new ones in stock.

40-odd quid, so I shall be polishing more carefully in future :eek:

"The coupés" (whatever that means) certainly did. And now don't.

As far as I can determine, only the S Class saloons now have the star. Pedestrian safety was a good reason to get rid of the star ... so why does the S-Class have it?

SL, SLK, CL...no bonnet star.

W114, W123, W124, W202 CLK, W111 & W112 coupes/cabs all had stars. The W140, R107 and W126 coupes didn't.

The bonnet star exudes class. Love it!

The bonnet star on my W211 gives a sense of occasion every time I get in, every time I walk past it...

Yes , I often feel something is missing from my SL , but I also know a star would look so wrong on that bonnet .

I just look at my 190E and smile ; still tempted to get another S124 .

I saw a C126 that had an upright star fitted on the bonnet - the owner must have felt the same as I did at first. It looked really wrong though actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom