The question is...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Does a Glock .40 actually carry 12 rounds or is this all bull$hit?

Question:
How do you tell the difference between a British Police Officer, an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

Answer:
First - Lets pose the following question:

You're on duty by yourself walking on a deserted street late at night.
Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and lunges at you.
You are carrying a Glock .40, and you are an expert shot, however you have only a split second to react before he reaches you.

What do you do?

BRITISH POLICE OFFICER:

Firstly the officer must consider the man's Human Rights.
1) Does the man look poor or oppressed?
2) Is he newly arrived in this country and does not yet understand the law?
3) Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
4) Am I dressed provocatively?
5) Could I run away?
6) Could I possibly swing my gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
7) Should I try and negotiate with him to discuss his wrong doings?
8) Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
9) Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society?
10) Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
11) If I were to grab his knees and hold on, would he still want to stab and kill me?
12) If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed if he falls over, knocks his head and kills himself? ..
13) If I shoot and wound him, and lose the subsequent court case, does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and the loss of my family home?

AUSTRALIAN POLICE OFFICER:

BANG!

AMERICAN POLICE OFFICER:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! 'click'....
(Sergeant arrives at scene later and remarks: 'Nice grouping!)

Does a Glock .40 actually carry 12 rounds...?

Apparently not....

How many bullets does a glock 40 hold? - Yahoo! Answers

However... Glock magazines are identical for same calibre, so if you don't mind the magazine protruding from the bottom of the gun handle, then you can have any magazine capacity you like, either by using a magazine from a different (larger) Glock model (as long as it's .40 calibre), or by buying a custom-made magazine. I seem to remember reading that the 9mm actually had 33-round magazines made by Glock...

Like so:

http://thumpandwhip.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/glock-26-with-33-round-magazine.jpg

Last edited:
Or, more accurately...

Factory-made .40 cal magazines:

Glock 22 & Glock 23 - Standard 15, Extended 17 (+1)

Glock 27 - Standard 9, Extended 11/13/15/17 (+1)

So it would seem that the only combination that meets the story above will be a 'baby' Glock 27, with the extended 11-rounds magazine, and one round in the chamber...

It is good to see our bobby on the beat is a morally motivated proper thinking human and not an automated instrument of state funded extra-judicial execution.

well done UK

markjay- I have just looked at that glock site. I want one. It looks like an excellently engineered gizmo. I am always attracted by quality design. Pity it is a gun.

The Glock indeed took the otherwise traditional handgun world by a storm when it was first introduced.

In Die Hard 2 (1990), Bruce Willis' character says about the Glock:

'That punk pulled a GLOCK 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it costs more than you make here in a month'

None of the above statements are true...

Glock 7 does not exist (perhaps he meant Glock 17)

Glock is made in Austria, not Germany.

Glock is not made of porcelain, in fact no gun is.

Glock is not invisible to X-Ray. Some of the traditionally-metal parts have indeed been replaced by polymers, but most parts including the breech, barrel and internal mechanism, as well as some rails built-into the polymer parts, are all made of good old-fashioned steel. It is a bit like saying that an F1 car would not show-up on X-Ray because if was made of Kevlar or Carbon-Fibre...

Glock is not expensive. In fact, the extensive use of moulded polymers, as well as non-machined parts (hence the rectangular look of the breech), and the very small number of internal parts, reduce production costs dramatically. When the Glock was introduced in the US, it was selling to law enforcement agencies for $400-$500 as compared for $700-$800 for a traditional Colt .45 or S&W automatic pistols.

But all this shows to what extend was the Glock innovative at the time - myths were developed around it almost immediately.

And finally, finisterre, if I did correctly detect a hint of cynicism in your post - then that's fine by me. :D

Last edited:
Conflicted, I am.

gizmo .... gun
gun .... gizmo
gimmie ... grrr

Arrgh the desire for power and shiny things versus the complex duties of socially aware masculinity.

Obviously this is going to be a problem for most mercedes drivers.

I think you will find that (most) men like aeroplanes, spaceships, trains, cars, engines, earth movers and mechanical diggers, power tools, air compressors, and torches - as much as they like mechanical watches and guns.

There is something fascinating about mechanical equipment built with great precision, and even more so about the engineering that goes into these products.

In contrast, I have four females in my family - and they all like shoes. I will never figure that one out.

I think you will find that (most) men like aeroplanes, spaceships, trains, cars, engines, earth movers and mechanical diggers, power tools, air compressors, and torches - as much as they like mechanical watches and guns.

Not forgetting things that explode.

This thread is probably being monitored by GCHQ due to use of trigger words

Perhaps one of the spooks could help nick.ged get his mortgage :p

If you want real firepower check out THESE puppies, much better than Glock IMHO. German Engineering at it's finest.

If you want real firepower check out THESE puppies, much better than Glock IMHO. German Engineering at it's finest.

Yes, very true, and also this one:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229.aspx

There were/are some very clever pistols out there, but the whole thing about the Glock was that its price was nearly half that of its competitors... plus, given that US law enforcement officers carry their firearms with a live round in the chamber, under these circumstances the Glock safety mechanism was actually safer than that of the traditional automatic pistol (though not so if you do not carry the pistol loaded with a live round). So you offer American cops guns that are safer, more reliable, and cost less... it was a no-brainer for many police forces who went for it (albeit with the 'US Police Trigger' which has a much heavier pull to prevent accidental discharge).

In that respect, I suppose you could say that the Glock was the Austin Mini of the pistol world. Simple construction, brilliant design, and very inexpensive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom