the question -Roof Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Voyager

hi all - do you know if there are original mb roof bars i can buy for my 2001 avantgarde estate ? and where i can get them from ?

i prefer the mb option as they will be the right length - the thurle ones suit all and therfore part of the bar overhangs the roof - looks untidy . thanks all:bannana:

Last time I looked , MB bars were Thule ones .

You can purchase Thule rails in a variety of lengths , and can even cut to length if your car is a different width from front to back .

I bought my Thule bars back when I ran a W123 estate , also used them with my W124 estates , bought a different foot pack to use with my W201's and finally bought longer rails to use on my W126 ( the 'gutterless' feet meant for the W201 work fine despite the car having gutters ) . My Thule accessories have served me well over 15+ years and numerous vehicles .

Last time I looked , MB bars were Thule ones .

You can purchase Thule rails in a variety of lengths , and can even cut to length if your car is a different width from front to back .

I bought my Thule bars back when I ran a W123 estate , also used them with my W124 estates , bought a different foot pack to use with my W201's and finally bought longer rails to use on my W126 ( the 'gutterless' feet meant for the W201 work fine despite the car having gutters ) . My Thule accessories have served me well over 15+ years and numerous vehicles .

Most manufacturers seem to use the Thule ones....mine are Thule although have Nissan on them!!! Fit perfectly onto my W203 estate (I only use them very occasionally) and also a number of previous estates (funnily enough I have never owned a Nissan though...got the bars cheap off eBay)

i would go for the Thule ones. (i did) great quality from the foremost manufacturer of such items. i use mine regularly for 3/4 bikes on top; they even stay there at 90+mph.

why pay more for a star on??

As above, Thule make many OEM bars and are top quality.

Sorry to semi hijack the thread but does the same hold true for roofboxes, are thule the best bet on these too?

regards

D.

I bought the MB roofbars for my W202 estate which now fit my W203 perfectly. They are aluminium 'Aerobars', which have an inverted T-channel in them, for quick fitting of suitable attachments. They cost me less than £100 from a MB dealer, who actually sold me the locking version at the non-locking price as they didn't have the cheaper one in stock!
They were a few (and I mean a few) pounds more than the Halfords/Thule Heath Robinson affairs but in my opinion are worth every penny. They look like they were made for the car, which of course they were, especially when compared to Halfords "use bars 147/9 with adaptor 42/XF/31 and fitting kit 22/45/L" offering, which ends up looking like a small child's Sticklebricks construction. They are also quiet at speed.

I bought the MB roofbars for my W202 estate which now fit my W203 perfectly. They are aluminium 'Aerobars', which have an inverted T-channel in them, for quick fitting of suitable attachments.
Think you will find those are made by Thule.

CrossRoad_main.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know who makes these:-

Attachments

• MercBars.jpg
    MercBars.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 62
One thing's for sure - it won't be M-B themselves. I would still guess Thule.

Recently bought Thule aero and 4 bike carriers - very pleased

as for the roof boxes - not sure if thule are the best (wouldnt be surprised). The only time i used a roof box (not thule) it was rented from HSS (£35/week :thumb:) but it nearly came open on the motorway :eek:

needless to say - ratchet straps stayed in attendance ever since

Cheers, will remember that one. Just wish roof boxes weren't so expensive :(.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom