'The Quiller Memorandum'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Brilliant film !
It's on TV on Monday afternoon - CH 4 : 1.30pm (videoplus 34098)

A 1960's cold war spy thriller starring George Segal as the main character , along with Max Von Sydow and Alec Guinness , all set in Berlin of the early 1960s

What will make it of interest to members here is that the whole film is a feast of 1950s and 1960s Mercedes-Benz and other contemporary cars .

The 'hero' starts off driving a Porsche 356 , but after something happens to it , he drops into the local branch of Avis and they give him ..... a 190SL !!!!! (If only that happenned nowadays it would be the world's top tourist spot !)

The 'baddies' are running about in Adenauers and Ponton Cabriolets , plus all the cars in the background are a line up of the complete M-B range of the time (Fintails included)

The Mercedes-Benz building in Kurfurstendamm with the famous large rotating star on the roof features prominently throughout the movie .

One not to be missed ; I'll be recording it .

Yes, great film and brilliant example of early 'product placement' by M-B.

If only we had seen Bond racing down the streets of Newport Pagnell in his DB ... :)

All set.

John

masqueraid said:
If only we had seen Bond racing down the streets of Newport Pagnell in his DB ... :)

I remember a few years back watching 'Goldfinger' on TV one night - enjoying the scenes where 007 is chased around the factory in his DB5 by Oddjob and his pals in their Pontons .

The next morning I was driving to work in my Ponton , and what should i come up behind but a DB 5 ! Followed him all the way into Edinburgh :D A surreal experience .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom