The rac tricked me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
I phone up the RAC as my battery had gone flat as I hadn’t used my car in 1 and a half months.

Anyway, a guy turned up, quick jump start and the engine bursts into life. No worries see you later.... or so I thought...

Without being asked he says his tester has diagnosed the battery as being faulty and needing replacement. ‘Conveniently’ he has the exact one I need in the van... how lucky am I???

The diagnosis is that the old battery won’t be able to start the car... ok.

So he fits the new battery, I pay £150. I ask to keep the old battery.. you know, as I’m still not thinking this sounds genuine.

So after he leaves, I refit the old battery. Guess what? It starts the car no worries, even 5-6 times. Remember it was only charged for seconds too. I then ran the car for a while and now everything is fine. The old battery Is still performing perfectly. So I was lied too..

So now... I have an unused RAC battery. Sold to me by telling lies.

I also found this, Undercover sting reveals 80 per cent of RAC patrols told customers with 'good' flat batteries they needed new ones

Hmmm.

What are my chances of seeing my Money back?

Fitted new battery = used.

Sadly, you will have to chalk it up to experience.

Take the old battery to a decent auto electrician locally and ask them to test it.

I refitted it to the car and it’s working fine

Complaint sent to RAC. Fingers crossed.

Not sure if it is true but I have been told that Mobilo is going to be run/managed by the RAC.
Can anyone confirm or deny this

I refitted it to the car and it’s working fine

It doesn't tell you though if the battery is good or bad only that it starts the car. ;)
Bit of cold weather or a bit of use and you may end up back with a non starter.

A proper under load test or even a max/min with a meter would let you know "for sure".
That way you wont be wasting your time if the battery is faulty or would have something to back up a claim if it is not.

Our local Bosch garage would be where I'd go as they are experts and very genuine, I'd trust them (and do) with any of our cars.

RAC need to respond to you first and you will need proof that the old battery is fine (not just that it starts the car). A drop test should be a good start. If the RAC fail to do so then Watchdog is an option although I would try the Ombudsman, they have power where as Watchdog don't officially have any apart from naming and shaming them. I had a tangle with the AA a few years back and with the correct evidence I got back my costs plus some compensation.

As above. Get the old battery tested (my local Halfords do free battery tests), and IF the old one is not failed then obtain proof and complain.

Not sure if it is true but I have been told that Mobilo is going to be run/managed by the RAC.

It already is. When my alarm was going off of its own free will last year, it was the RAC I was put through to when I pressed the SOS button.

The other side of the coin - A few years ago my Honda would not start. I called the RAC. When they arrived they said that the battery had failed. The RAC man said he had a new one in his van that he could sell to me, and that he could fit it there and then. He then pointed out that there was a branch of Halfords about 50 yards away, and that it would be cheaper for me to buy the battery from Halfords. He waited by my car until I returned with the replacement battery, fitted it for me and made sure that everything was OK.

Forget the testing and proof, get on the Dog and Bone and tell the RAC that you're unhappy and you want your money back. Make a big fuss and keep asking for escalation / supervisor / management.

Life's too short for these call centre jockeys, they'll give you your money back

Just be firm and be clear that you're not going to let it drop.

Focus on "I'm unhappy, it's unfair, and I want my money back." The escalation, if they don't play ball, is to escalate it to your credit card company.

Forget the testing and proof, get on the Dog and Bone and tell the RAC that you're unhappy and you want your money back. Make a big fuss and keep asking for escalation / supervisor / management.

Life's too short for these call centre jockeys, they'll give you your money back

Just be firm and be clear that you're not going to let it drop.

Focus on "I'm unhappy, it's unfair, and I want my money back." The escalation, if they don't play ball, is to escalate it to your credit card company.

They’ll be getting a call tomorrow morning :D

Cheers pal

Could you have bought the same battery the RAC fitted cheaper elsewhere ?
It wouldn't surprise me if your old one lets you down when the cold nights begin to bite.

As Russ already confirmed above - yes, and has been for a while.
This is the heading on my Mercedes Roadside Assistance callout invoice in September last year (the last time I used them):

37132846970_b7f82a5308_o.png

Incidentally, it was a battery, and the chap said "you can get a much better deal elsewhere" - I bought a 77Ah VARTA Silver Dynamic from Tayna ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom