The rac tricked me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From memory , even the caps had small breather holes from which gas would escape - doesn't bear thinking about o_O
Yep they did.......and if the breathers were blocked..... 😳

Reactions: 219
I remember the battery in my dad's 1964 Land Rover just about exploding after the passenger seat base collapsed onto it - the person in the seat realised what was happening and jumped out then ripped the seat base out - just in time !

Thereafter , there was a sheet of plywood on top of the battery .

I used to think it was a Series 1 , but BMS 169B would have been a Series II . It was knackered in 1970 when one of our drivers was sent to Oban with it to collect our caravan , after my dad's W110 190 was written off up there whilst on holiday . Apparently the guy drove it back with all the diff locks engaged and the whole thing was bu66ered !

Last edited:
It would more properly be dealt with by giving the customer a receipt for their old battery , free environmentally friendly disposal ( much as you do when you get tyres fitted , although there is a charge , despite tyres also having a residual scrap value ) .

The presumption being if no receipt issued the customer retained the battery .

I think the default situation is that the majority of motorists wouldn't want to keep the old battery - in fact they would be grateful to have it taken away. Probably there aren't that many people out there who'd want to keep the old battery once removed from the car.

Yep they did.......and if the breathers were blocked..... 😳

Batteries do explode. It happened to me in an Alfa Sud in 1981... it went off with a bang when I started the car. On lifting the bonnet, only the lower half of the battery housing was in place, the top missing completely, and the engine bay was full of plastic bits and corrosive acid. A new battery sorted it, no other damage, though the paintwork in the engine bay and the inside of the bonnet was never the same again.

Batteries do explode. It happened to me in an Alfa Sud in 1981... it went off with a bang when I started the car. On lifting the bonnet, only the lower half of the battery housing was in place, the top missing completely, and the engine bay was full of plastic bits and corrosive acid. A new battery sorted it, no other damage, though the paintwork in the engine bay and the inside of the bonnet was never the same again.
I remember my pal have one of the inboard front brake discs explode ( well shatter ) on his Alfasud .

I remember my pal have one of the inboard front brake discs explode ( well shatter ) on his Alfasud .

Yes, the discs and calipers were right on the transmission of the flat-4 boxer engine, to reduce unsprung weight. Alfa have done this before, on the Alfetta and other cars, where the rear discs were adjacent to the diff, as opposed to being near the wheel.

Reactions: 219
Yes, the discs and calipers were right on the transmission of the flat-4 boxer engine, to reduce unsprung weight. Alfa have done this before, on the Alfetta and other cars, where the rear discs were adjacent to the diff, as opposed to being near the wheel.
IIRC Jaguar did that too ...

You don’t have to ask to keep the old battery : IT IS ALREADY YOUR PROPERTY .

And how dare they invoice you for something that is already yours ! It isn’t theirs to take away - the same applies to any parts replaced on your car , by a workshop or elsewhere - any items removed from your car are your property .
Thank you I did not knows that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom