The rate my hair is thinning is directly proportional to ........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
how desirable cars like this are becoming ???

I'm now at a certain age where i'm comfortable in my skin and even the lilac ones are becoming strangely appealing :)

Auto Trader logo

PMP

We all have to scratch the drop mtop itch at some time in life - for me it happened 7-8 years ago when I sold the 968 coupe I'd had for 12 1/2 years and bought the 968 cabriolet I still have! The 320 engine in that CLK is a peach, a friend has an similar age R170 SLK320 (officially his wife's car, but...) and says he can spin the wheels at 70mph! For me, sunny days roof down country lanes with a stop at a country pub can't be beat (guess what we're doing tomorrow!!)

I'm also looking at cabriolets. There's a nice CLK at Mercland at the mo and I'm tempted but having a 50-odd kilo Bullmastiff to cart about makes the idea a bit daft. Definitely an itch to scratch at some time.

I've definitely got to spend more time wearing hats than I did a decade ago, but I've still not seen the appeal of a convertible. - Not only do I have to wear the aforementioned hat to prevent the top of my head getting burnt, but if it's hot enough to put the top down I'd rather just use air conditioning.

I've found over the years that aircon can and does dry my mouth and throat quite badly, especially if it's ice cold air. Mind you, it was essential when we lived in Karachi, Singapore, Qatar, Oman, not just in the car but also in the house!

OK, a hat is needed in a convertible to avoid sunburn to the hairless patch, but as we mainly use the cab for gentle country lane jaunts we gain so much from the sights, sounds and smells as we drive (potter) around, and with the wind deflector we (actually SWMBO) don't get the "hair blowing forward" problem that we had before we got the wind deflector. Horses for courses - I've done longish motorway runs in the cab, but the S204 is much better for that. However, our 19 day 2600 mile jaunt across northern Spain and back through France, avoiding motorways and where posssible main roads, virtually all with the roof down, was wonderful.

First car - 1937 Morris 8 Tourer (convertible)
Still in my youth - Frogeye Sprite
Laugh a minute car for Mrs B - Citroen Dyane
Later - Saab 9-3 Convertible
Current car - Volvo C70 folding hardtop convertible.
And for the last 21 years, a Morgan style 3 wheeler, with no wet weather gear at all - see avatar.

Can’t see the point in open top motoring......Not!

I've definitely got to spend more time wearing hats than I did a decade ago, but I've still not seen the appeal of a convertible. - Not only do I have to wear the aforementioned hat to prevent the top of my head getting burnt, but if it's hot enough to put the top down I'd rather just use air conditioning.
Sorry, this does sound a bit dismissive and that's not what I meant.

Clearly top-down motoring is a very popular thing... I just mean that I have never felt the need to scratch that itch.

Maybe it comes from growing-up in Australia where the sun is out to kill you?

Don't worry mate. I've never seen the appeal in the slightest up until now. I'm on my third clk and I've dismissed verts every time. When it comes down to it will probably end up buying another coupe. But there is something turning in me :)

Have always liked cabriolets, I think it's because it's nice having the option to go 'topless' even if it is only for a couple of days a year! :D After all, it's better having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it! ;) (not that it is a need, but you get the point)

@poormansporsche the one in the link does look good value given the spec, age (must be one of the last ones) and a 1 owner car from new! Had one in black a few years ago and loved it.

IMO - driving a quality convertible is like having the best of both worlds. I prefer cooler days to have the top open but whenever it is not raining - it is open - when I do have it closed, it is like driving a different car. I'll deffo get another convertible when the SL moves on. My first convertible was a SLK - an impulse buy (was looking for an e-class to replace my LandCruiser) after my wife had convinced me to take a test drive and the dealer told me I could keep it for the weekend. Was in Australia then and the roof was rarely closed (my daily driver) except for long trips in the heat of the day.

Scratched the itch and it felt good

Excellent Saab 9-3 Petrol (remapped) turbo and then when the V6 itch got me a CLK280 Sport convertible

Am done with it now, though odd day I still consider......
Would be a two seater next if I (or the missus) ever do this time again

Yesterday was too hot for a 'vert' though :oops:

A few of my friends raised an eyebrow when I bought a blunt e46 m3 vert rather than a super sharp m3 coupe. But what I lost in chassis brilliance , lateral g force ability and overall pace, is more than made up for with a truly incredible sound experience and in the right weather and with the hood down, the experience of cruising without a roof is ... unrivalled...

I wouldn't personally have a convertible as a daily, unless it had a metal roof, but super as a weekend/dry weather car.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I have never been without a convertible car in my life since I was 10.

If I'm honest i wouldn't buy myself another one but happy for the Mrs to drive one that I can use occasionally.

I don't like fabric roofs, I'm not all that keen on metal folding ones as they always creak. Come to think of it I don't like panoramic ones either as they tend to creak as well.

I've only had one soft-top and that was a Triumph Spitfire MkIV - a long time ago. I didn't like putting the top down much in summer (too hot) I much preferred to use it on a nice crisp winter's day with the heater going full pelt.

'Sports' or GT cars look quite good as convertibles, but I think 'normal' cars with soft-tops just look a bit daft. I can't help looking at them and imagining a set of handles attached to the front wings - like a giant sized pram ........

I have never been without a convertible car in my life since I was 10.

If I'm honest i wouldn't buy myself another one but happy for the Mrs to drive one that I can use occasionally.

I don't like fabric roofs, I'm not all that keen on metal folding ones as they always creak. Come to think of it I don't like panoramic ones either as they tend to creak as well.

So what type of roof did your convertibles have? :D

So what type of roof did your convertibles have? :D
Vinyl, mohair, fabric and steel.

Not all at the same time though.

My earlier ramblings were just my thoughts on convertibles, they are great when the roof is down and a compromise at all other times.

Great for pulling the birds in my youth, when we seemed to have much better Summers, though

Reactions: Abb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom