The real difference between “Main Dealer” and an Independent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc220cls

SUPPORTER
Car
220 CLS Shooting Brake & 350 SL
Earlier today I received a call from Christopher Jackson (Alderly Edge) who I purchased my SL from just six months ago. It was simply a courtesy call enquiring how things were doing with my SL since purchase. It’s a long time since I’ve received such a call.

Just 10 minutes later I received a call from MB Giffnock to let me know my service contract was about to expire on my CLS, in other words they were looking for a further commitment. Just a few weeks earlier I had already received a call from MB Giffnock and informed them I would not be renewing the service contract and gave a detailed reason why I had reached this decision. They obviously did not update there records.

In the two years we’ve had the CLS not one call has been received to see if we’re happy with the car etc. and I have to say it was the same during our four years with Jaguar ownership.
It’s a true saying, once they’ve got your money they don’t really care a hoot.

My wife commented at the time when we purchased the SL from Christopher Jackson, what a difference between this and the purchase of our CLS with no pressure placed on us to purchase the car. It’s nice to see someone actually cares about his customers.

Earlier today I received a call from Christopher Jackson (Alderly Edge) who I purchased my SL from just six months ago. It was simply a courtesy call enquiring how things were doing with my SL since purchase. It’s a long time since I’ve received such a call.

Just 10 minutes later I received a call from MB Giffnock to let me know my service contract was about to expire on my CLS, in other words they were looking for a further commitment. Just a few weeks earlier I had already received a call from MB Giffnock and informed them I would not be renewing the service contract and gave a detailed reason why I had reached this decision. They obviously did not update there records.

In the two years we’ve had the CLS not one call has been received to see if we’re happy with the car etc. and I have to say it was the same during our four years with Jaguar ownership.
It’s a true saying, once they’ve got your money they don’t really care a hoot.

My wife commented at the time when we purchased the SL from Christopher Jackson, what a difference between this and the purchase of our CLS with no pressure placed on us to purchase the car. It’s nice to see someone actually cares about his customers.
Great to hear, credit where it's due guys, here is the link to them (maybe dealers on here will sit up and take note) if members show preference to good service:-

Christopher Jackson Ltd | Alderley Edge

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Over the past 7 years of MB ownership I have found the customer service decline and would therefore have to agree with you. I have sung the praises of MB Sytner Teeside several times on this Forum but the previous 2 years with my current W213 have changed my mind. They are simply not interested and once you are out the door you are forgotten. On the W213's first service last November they could not even be bothered to wash the car. Some would say that's a bonus I know! I have enquired twice about moving to a Coupe and I don't even warrant a return call. Given that this is my third new car from them, you would think that it would at least not put me in the time waster bracket. The majority of the staff are the same as when I bought my first MB from them, so I find it hard to believe that they, personally, have changed. More likely, the policies and processes by which they are governed.

Another less endearing quality is the American-Esq, insincere, greeting and farewell rituals. I know MB that you will never contact me for another 12 months and, despite charging premium service rates, you cannot even be @rsed to wash my car. Having been treat with borderline contempt, I very much doubt that you want me to genuinely have a nice day. Or even care if I were to spontaneously combust in the car park.

I think that my MB journey will be coming to an end in the coming 2 years. I appreciate that a lot of main dealers are the same but paying considerably extra for indifferent treatment is something that I can change.

So next time wanting a different (new) vehicle, maybe consider the possible option of rather than buying brand new and suffering the MB lack of follow-up customer service, instead buying second-hand from a dealer as detailed in the first 2 posts. Basically someone who does give a damn about Customer Service! You may not get the vehicle/options choice you want but rarely anyone gets everything they want these days, @JBD may be the exception to the rule.

Slightly different ,but many years ago I had the same experience with the bank I had been with for over 15 years. Not once -as I can recall -in all that time did they ever call me until a very large (voluntary) redundancy payment went straight into my debit account instead of a different dedicated account elsewhere.

I immediately got a personal call from my bank manager (remember them ?) asking how would I like to invest it with them :rolleyes:. Service with a smile when it suits.

I might be wrong but it seems to me like main dealers for any brand are really only interested in fleet buyers, thats where the most money can be made with fleet contracts and service packs etc.
The indivdual customers is a mere inconvenience to them in most cases. That and combined with horrendous hourly rates.
The cars are almost irrelevant compared to the finance and contract agreements.
Such a shame but its the way things seem to be heading.

A new car will be similar to a phone contract soon where you pay for annual miles and services pack compared to minutes and data usage.

I have bought W126 560 SEL, W220 500L and a W221 500L all new + a few used Mercedes over 35 years and the only Dealer that had the Courtesy to call was MB Grimsey after I bought a used Smart 451 Brabus for £5,500.00,:) in fact he called me three times over a eighteen month period.

Simple tactic to keep your business in the minds of future potential customers and we are now witness to the power of word of mouth.
Well done Christopher Jackson, shows its does not take much to keep a customer happy.

I think the real difference between a main dealer and a decent inde is the inde gives a more than zero fcks.

With main dealers, I find it is down to the individual who you deal with there as to what the experience is like.

I've used the same dealer for warranty work for a good 3 years now. With the first contact and it was a great service.

Now the person I've been dealing with most recently is not really interested in getting your problems fixed but just shipping you in and out - so my rating for them has gone right down now.

I see a main dealer now as only interested in making as much money as possible and as above - anything else is an inconvenience.

They only show an interest when they can smell the dollar bill.

Thinking back when we bought the CLS, it’s the missus’s car actually, but as a surprise I had arranged for a nice bouquet of flowers to be with the car.
On delivery MB did the usual presentation with the car under a cover and after the reveal the salesman opened up the tailgate and the flowers were on show.
The missus thought they were from the dealership but no the salesman said they’re from your husband.
Got nice brownie points for that, didn’t have to hoover the carpet for a week

Thinking back when we bought the CLS, it’s the missus’s car actually, but as a surprise I had arranged for a nice bouquet of flowers to be with the car.
On delivery MB did the usual presentation with the car under a cover and after the reveal the salesman opened up the tailgate and the flowers were on show.
The missus thought they were from the dealership but no the salesman said they’re from your husband.
Got nice brownie points for that, didn’t have to hoover the carpet for a week
And how much did you have to back hand them to pretend they came from you ;-)?

And how much did you have to back hand them to pretend they came from you ;-)?

MB Giffnock had no involvement. Flowers were arranged by a local lady who works from home. I paid £30 and the flowers were beautiful. I would have paid probably twice as much from any other retail florists.

The lady txt me as we were on our way up to collect the car letting me know she had delivered the flowers.

^^^ Had you have ordered the flowers from Mercedes Benz they probably not have been able to supply you the colour combination you wanted as yellow Roses are only available on the daffodil range unless you spec them with a green bow as the yellow bow is only available in the US market. If you wanted the carbon Chrysanthemums they are only available on the next bouquet up at an additional cost and you would have to lose the Roses altogether as that combination is no longer an option.

Once you had made up your mind you would get e-mails saying your bouquet has been delayed on the production line (3 times) due to a shortage of Azaleas , even though you didn't order Azaleas .

Then you might have given up and bought a box of chocolates instead :p

^^^ Had you have ordered the flowers from Mercedes Benz they probably not have been able to supply you the colour combination you wanted as yellow Roses are only available on the daffodil range unless you spec them with a green bow as the yellow bow is only available in the US market. If you wanted the carbon Chrysanthemums they are only available on the next bouquet up at an additional cost and you would have to lose the Roses altogether as that combination is no longer an option.

Once you had made up your mind you would get e-mails saying your bouquet has been delayed on the production line (3 times) due to a shortage of Azaleas , even though you didn't order Azaleas .

Then you might have given up and bought a box of chocolates instead :p

that’s made me laugh out loud on a dull morning

The independent has a good account manager working for them who makes regular check up. The dealer probably has good sales people and a workforce management system in place. To be fair, they sell cars at a much larger volume and the same level of service would probably require them to hire a couple of FTE's to make the calls.

When I worked within a Main Dealer the sales staff kept records of their customers and made frequent calls to them as and when required. All this was before computerised records so more paperwork involved yet they still managed the time.
Go into any Main Dealer tomorrow and you’re likely to find a few guys in a corner talking about the rugby and football scores with a coffee in their hand.
On my last visit to the dealership I purposefully inspected a nice cabriolet sitting for some time, yet not one person took the time to even acknowledge I was there let alone try to sell a car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom