The reason your headlight washers don't work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazfaldo

Car
CLK55 AMG W209
I noticed my headlight washer squirter's were not working, I hardly ever use them anyway.

I checked the forums first and many people said check fuses ETC. All looked good. When pressing the button I did notice a very faint dim to the instrument cluster so assumed the power was good to the pump, but no sound at all from the motor.

I went to my local Merc dealer and bought a replacement motor pump (White plastic housing).

I proceeded to replace the unit but putting wheels on full lock and removing nearside very front black inner wing cowling and got access to the washer bottle and replaced the headlamp pump.

Wow! now it works almost to good, very high pressure water jets :) just don't use after you have detailed the car. The water sprays up off the headlights over the bonnet leaving screen wash froth residue.

So I decided to investigate the cause of the motor pump failure, I cracked open the casing and found this.......!

Thought I would share

Attachments

• 20160312_155539.jpg
    20160312_155539.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20160312_155556.jpg
    20160312_155556.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 93
Are they mounted with the water pump above the motor?

If they are, turn them upside down so the pump is below the pump. I can imagine the little O-ring the motor spindle passes through will seep at the very least and cause the rust seen in the pictures.

The electric motor is housed above the intake impeller and the whole assembly pushes down with the nozzle into the water bottle.

I can only think that filling the water bottle reservoir without an anti freeze screen wash during winter months can cause the plastic to expand and crack if it freezes, which then in turn allows water to get into the electric motor and then corrode over time until it seizes up.

Last edited:
You could have saved your money and repaired that pump.I will try mine later on as you say not often used last time I did it the same as you happened headlights got it and so did the bonnet and screen.

Hi , just bought an 2005, E280, but the headlight washer pump was stuck on, does anyone know where the fuse for this is and possibly the relay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom