The Red Arrows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Just was sent this :-

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might
be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails ...

Predictably , there is a petition to sign which is Here

Bad news if it is true , what is the country coming to ? :(

I was sent it too, meant to check if it was a hoax but not had time yet.

Anything reported in the Sun or on the BNP website is iffy in my book.....

I have read this from a paper local to the RA base:

08:00 - 17 September 2007

Aerobatics team the Red Arrows has moved to scotch rumours that it has been banned from performing at the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony.

A national newspaper and numerous websites have reported that event organisers believe the Lincolnshire-based team's military background "might offend other nations".

It is alleged that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport ruled last week that the RAF Scampton squad is "unsuitable" and "not in keeping with the event as they were too militaristically British".

But team spokesman Rachel Huxford said: "We have had no discussions about the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics whatsoever.

"We are still planning our 2008 season at this stage and that is a long way off. We understand that no decision has yet been made about the ceremony.

"We performed when London won its Olympic bid in 2005 after we received a standard request from the Olympic organisers."

She added that none of the team's pilots had spoken to the national newspaper about the rumour.

The story has sparked furious debate on many web forums.

On Yahoo! Answers, Eric F. wrote: "This is a great shame, but these days we have to do everything so correct in case it offends somebody."

A similar debate was being held on Military Forums, Eye On The World and Andrew's World.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport was unavailable for comment.

What is this country coming to?
London is hosting the 2012 olympics and London is in Great Britain.
The Red Arrows are British, so let them do a display.

As you say , the only national newspaper i could find it on was the Sun website ....

I'm not a frequent visitor to the BNP site i'm afraid :rolleyes:

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

I am sorry but I find it all offensive.

Its the Olympics in Great Britain and yet we invite other countries here to compete against us! Thats just not British! Our team should be given all the medals, and if there is time left, the other countries can have an egg and spoon race. As long as they are finished by tea time! I dont suppose we will be raising the Union Jack in case it offends people! Do you think we can have the flags removed from each country at the opening ceromony too! I find all flags offensive.

I hope I dont see any Chinese influences at the next Olympics! You wouldn't want to showcase your country on the world stage like the Olympics, in case it offends anyone would you! But you might hope that people come and visit you, thus bringing money into the country!!!

Arghh, sorry, capitalist idea that one. Whoops.

Anyway, the Red Arrows will be banned by then for not being green enough. Just think of the CO2 emmissions. Might be an idea to Ban TV coverage too, so that people round the world wont waste valuable energy watching their country and their best people compete in the worlds biggest sporting event.

I am now off to hold a cold cup of coffee for long enough so that heat from my hands warms the cup enough for me to drink it.

I seem to have gone quite mad!

Warning

Please don't look at this picture if easily offended!!!!!

Its not me,(That guy has hair and no stomach)

Its not a plane,

That is not a hideous white belt.

And them sunglasses have just made a comeback as a fashion item, which is a shame as I sat on them at the bottom of Sutton Bank in 1991.

Red2.jpg

It isn't true.

But it was reported widely in the press a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not a frequent visitor to the BNP site i'm afraid :rolleyes:

Hasten to add - neither am I. Was surprised to see it up third on the Google search I did though...

From the back garden

2h88xf7.jpg

tricky to get a good shot because the garden is surrounded by hedges, houses etc., so you have to guess which direction they are coming from and be prepared.

This was from the Torquay show at the end of last month.

Mike

Awww, the plane and the bloke matching white belts!! :D
And a red top :devil: :D

When doing the display over Torbay :) does that sound poetic?

The cross-over two tend to use the valley behind our back garden to hide from the crowds as they take up positions, they quite literally scream by at very high speeds and it is impossible to get a decent picture. You cannot see them coming and usually by the time you lift the camera...... They've gone, but this was my best effort. Every year they do the same thing and I estimated the when and where bit:

low.jpg

My best effort but still slightly blurred :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: and yes I was on the ground, and it was taken from my back garden.

John

Don't worry gents...

At least when the French arrive via train they arrive at Waterloo station still :D

Don't worry gents...

At least when the French arrive via train they arrive at Waterloo station still :D

That is a bit too militaristic too. And the trains are not green. They should walk and swim. Its not far. They would win the prize for getting here first! I hope they dont come in with all their national colours tho. Dont want this nation thing getting out of hand do we?

Best job really is to cancel the whole event. Its a waste of money anyway! Why build all them new things for just one event. Surely we have a few grassed areas left in this country. How dificult is it to make a few straight lines out on it, and get some joggists to line up, and say to them, first one to that peice of tape first, wins?

And whats happening at the Dome?

Don't worry gents...

Not for too much longer. St. Pancras.
Who was St. Pancras?

This all smacks of Murdoch's papers, plus the Express and the Mail.

Last edited:
didnt they name him after a disease?:devil:

Must have had big hands then .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom