The Right Stuff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
_100935909_mediaitem100935905.jpg

Tammie Jo Shults captain Flight 1380- fly Navy!

'American hero' lands stricken airliner

While I am glad the aircraft landed safely, and saddened to read of the casualty , I do tire of reading these reports of the lady being ‘sucked out’ of the cabin when , in fact , she was partly blown out by air escaping from the pressurised cabin .

Statement issued by the Captain & First Officer:

"As Captain and First Officer of the Crew of five who worked to serve our Customers aboard Flight 1380 yesterday, we all feel we were simply doing our jobs. Our hearts are heavy. On behalf of the entire Crew, we appreciate the outpouring of support from the public and our coworkers as we all reflect on one family’s profound loss. We joined our Company today in focused work and interviews with investigators. We are not conducting media interview and we ask that the public and the media respect our focus.” — Southwest Captain Tammie Jo Shults and Southwest Airlines First Officers Darren Ellisor."

I can think of no better pilot in an emergency than an ex military pilot, there is no substitute for training and experience.

What a gal ! Nothing but admiration for the cool calm way she dealt with the emergency.

Hope she gets a reward from company for dealing with this and projecting a good image of her company.

Shame passenger did not have seat belt on, it might have saved her. You do listen to the pre flight briefing before take off don’t you?

That's the type of women we need running the joint, not the TLVF types that think they are entitled to just because they have a pair...

You see how easy it is to be sucked in to thinking the TLVF brigade represent women. Even the women start to "believe"!

If the poor woman had her belt on then that's worrying. Not on properly, too loose, or the belt gave up.....?

Sad to say, but it's America, so the lawyers will get to the bottom of it

To be fair to the passengers this engine failure incident occurred 20minutes+ into the flight so most if not all passengers would have released their seat belts. It would appear there were two " explosions" in rapid succession. The first was when the engine blew up showering the side of the plane with debris and the second as the damaged window blew out leading to explosive decompression of the aircraft and deployment of the oxygen masks. The side of the plane seems remarkably undamaged appart from the one window. Some Southwest passengers have already been offered $5,000 and a letter of apology according to CNN.
Southwest gives $5,000 checks to passengers on Flight 1380 - CNN

Reactions: 219
Why remove seat belt? You do not do that in the car do you, safer to keep seat belt on all the time, some pilots giving briefing to keep seat belt on at all times, it also stops the pilot re trimming the aeroplane as the drunks move up and down the aisle;)

Cannot see how she could have been sucked out the window if still strapped in.

I never sit opposite leading edge of wing, especially in a propellor aeroplane!

Why remove seat belt? You do not do that in the car do you, safer to keep seat belt on all the time, some pilots giving briefing to keep seat belt on at all times, it also stops the pilot re trimming the aeroplane as the drunks move up and down the aisle;)

Cannot see how she could have been sucked out the window if still strapped in.

I never sit opposite leading edge of wing, especially in a propellor aeroplane!

Firstly and as previously stated, she was not sucked out of the window.

Secondly; the passenger seat belts in aircraft are only lap belts, the decompressive force would have been very high until pressure stabilised and it is likely that this caused the victim's upper body to pivot and be rapidly pulled towards the window opening causing the blunt impact trauma to her head, neck and thorax that proved fatal. Pilots have full harness type belts to prevent this happening to them in cases of cockpit decompression due to broken windows.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/SEBED Report_Final_5-2010.pdf
Several things emerge from this particular study. The primary one being there is little documentation associated with seatbelts as to age or use. There seems also to be little regulation as to frequency of inspection either .
One thing that caught my eye was the effectiveness of seat belt buckle adjustment locking bar mechanism for example
I would imagine that explosive cabin decompression would be a very rare occurrence but injury from clear air turbulence might indeed be a justification for wearing a lap belt to avoid ending up on the aircraft ceiling!
One might still conclude however that that one of the main functions of the seatbelt is to "psychologically immobilise" passengers as an aid to maintaining aircraft trim.

One might still conclude however that that one of the main functions of the seatbelt is to "psychologically immobilise" passengers as an aid to maintaining aircraft trim.

I recall the BMI crash at Kegworth - passengers ended up with leg and pelvic injuries. There was a lot of subsequent discussion about belts and seating. My recollection is the only significant outcome was the formalisation of the 'brace position' and a greater awareness of the risks of cabin baggage and other items on the overhead lockers become free to fall on passengers or act as projectiles.

I don't think belts immobilise passengers - psychologically or otherwisre. Plenty of people - experienced and inexperienced passengers - release them the moment the get an opportunity. I end up repeatedly lecturing friends and family I'm travelling with to keep the things bickled when seated. Chances of something actually happening may be low - but if you've ever been through really violent turbulence you appreciate just how forcefully a large aircraft can be thrown about.

My gut feel is that because commercial air travel is statistically so safe, passengers feel that there is little or no need to follow safety briefings or safety advice such as leaving seatbelts buckled up.

One of the tragedies of the Kegworth incident was the sheer number of pax who couldn’t get out of the aircraft due to lower leg injuries. Once you understand that, the relevance of correctly positioning your feet behind your knees and putting weight on them when in the brace position becomes abundantly clear. Similarly with fire incidents where the survivors are most likely to be amongst those who really knew where the emergency exits were in relation to their seat.

While air travel is very safe (the Southwestern incident was the first passenger fatality on an internal flight in the USA since 2009!), if you’re unlucky enough to be on the flight that does go wrong then your survival chances can be increased dramatically if you follow the safety briefing and act upon the information given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly far too few people take notice of safety demonstrations, many people think they’ve seen one /seen them all, but from one a/c type to another doors will be in different locations, be of different types, have differing opening procedures.

Always know where two exits are in relation to you - one way may be unusable. The nearest may be behind you.

The photos of the recent incident show clearly people with oxygen masks just over their mouths....fail.

If they ever drop, put YOUR mask on first (because in a rapid decompression, you may have 20s before you blackout) if you are ok, you can then put a mask on your child/companion.
(Rather than struggle with a child and you then both lapse into unconsciousness) - if your jet is at 35000 ft, it’s going to be 10/15 mins before they are at a level where the air will sustain you.
(And another good reason to have your seatbelt on, as it will be a very steep and rough descent).

I know one of the crew in the Kegworth crash, the industry learned a lot from it, and current CRM training has developed from it.
Many fatalities were around where the fuselage fractured when it hit the motorway embankment.

Always brace “toes to tail”, it stops your legs flailing around and snapping your shins on the seat in front.

Respect all of your crew..cabin crew are the eyes and ears of the flight crew, they will be the fire fighters, the first aider, and the person who is trained to get you and yours out of the doors in 90s - never stop to get your hand baggage - it’s all replaceable.

Hopefully you’ll never need to use this in anger.

Last edited:
How can a person be physically sucked from an airplane? A former pilot explains
It has emerged that the woman who died was in fact wearing her seatbelt but this did not prevent her from being partially ejected from the plane sustaining fatal injuries in the process--- which begs the question- if she had been wearing a more comprehensive form of restraint involving the upper body would she have survived? Of course strengthening seatbacks and adding additional restraint has a weight penalty which presumably has economic consequences- less passengers carried- higher fares--- which sort of brings us full circle to the rather blunt metaphor of "spam in the can" first expressed in Tom Wolfe's book THE RIGHT STUFF.

Ps, a BA pilot was ‘sucked’ / blown out of a Trident aircraft whose windscreen failed. His lower limbs caught on lap strap and control column. A steward grabbed his legs and held him in.
He survived.

Ps, a BA pilot was ‘sucked’ / blown out of a Trident aircraft whose windscreen failed.
Caused by incorrect screws used when the screen was reinstalled. Aviation can be very unforgiving of errors!

Ps, a BA pilot was ‘sucked’ / blown out of a Trident aircraft whose windscreen failed. His lower limbs caught on lap strap and control column. A steward grabbed his legs and held him in.
He survived.

Just for accuracy; it was a BA 111 aircraft involved in this event

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom