The Run To Monaco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Azer

Car
S320
Hey up,

What with not being able to go on my original planned road-trip, for the 2nd year running. The whole point in my buying the car would have been completely missed AGAIN, if it were not for this.
A part of me does regret not putting up a post on here, about going before hand. Though, I knew that if I did do that I might curse it.
Also, this is/was my first solo euro road trip. Which I felt I needed to organise alone, so as not to disappoint others if it all went wrong.

At the start of this month, I realised that if I didn't book anything I wasn't going to be able to do so.
I knew I didn't have much holiday left at work, so I booked off the week just finished.
Promptly went home and booked eurotunnell tickets to get a car to Calais on 16/10/2021 and back again on 21/10/2021 for not quite £300.

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to do the Alpine trip I have wanted to for some years now, I decided on something similar but shorter with a bit less political risk.

Taking inspiration from a number of sources, I thought I'd try the French N85 Route Napoleon, from Grenoble to Saint-Vallier-de-Thiey, then deviate via the beach at Nice, to Monaco.
Which is approximately what I ended up doing.
Though I didn't go enter Monaco exactly how I thought I would, the up-shot of which was being able to drive the home-straight , Saint-Devote and Beau-Rivage before turn off, at the top of the hill just before Massenet.
This "hill" is ALOT steeper in real life than it looks when watching the F1 on T.V.

Anyway, the drive there was pretty good. I can reccommend Route Napoleon.

The car park before the best part starts (heading South)
hBY93SP.jpg

One of the last bridges before the "mountain" roads:
qcyxgxX.jpg

Here is what greets you after you pass through Col Bayard:
d0uHf8m.jpg

fHYOZb7.jpg

mtqzOM0.jpg

Look closely at this one:
dUrs3SE.jpg

I drove through that arch-way. Then around another 3 or 4 turns before comming to a lay-by where I could pause, hop out and run back (complete with Gilet-Jaun) to take the photo.

Then there is the descent into Castellane:
2Vyeu5R.jpg

qHgTpfq.jpg

44RiF94.jpg

jSwWms4.jpg

Belive it or not, the sat-nav then took me over that bridge, which isn't much more than about 2ft wider than the S-Class, isn't paved and probably only has a 3 Tonne weight-rating.

After Castellane, there is the drive to Saint-Vallier-de-Thiey
pE6Vd5J.jpg

PW6kvMI.jpg

You can just about make out the road I have driven to get to this lay-by.

lY9C9A9.jpg

VdRWW8M.jpg

And, yes, that is the road I am about drive winding off into the distance. Not sure if you can see the yellow bus on it.

The day I left Monaco, for home.
I took a quick ( hour and a half) drive up to road to the golf course (not actually in Monaco) in order to stop hear for one last look at the micro nation at the cove it sits in.
Getting in or out of Monaco is neither quick nor easy, due to the geography and shear number of roads crammed into the place. Even Sat-Navs struggle. A trained navigator would have trouble and anybody who doesn't live there should not be asked for directions.
M9Pkgtu.jpg

Now I am hearing that we are about to go back to wearing masks, have people work from home again and maybe shut some more schools.
Which surely means less international travel, though I can usually get a waiver as I work in the pharmaceutical industry. But that is only for work.

So all in all, it looks like I made it back just in time.

Last edited:
Thankyou for sharing your journey. Some very nice scenery there. I'm sure it was a relaxing tour in the S class👍

Thanks for the photos, I have travelled solo through France but not sure I would be brave enough for your trip.

Seems like you had decent weather and stunning scenery

Robin

Great pics - and the perfect trip & weather for a convertible.;)

Thankyou for sharing your journey. Some very nice scenery there. I'm sure it was a relaxing tour in the S class👍

It was pretty easy, the French roads are good. But the French themselves drive like they are all totally de-restricted.

Thanks for the photos, I have travelled solo through France but not sure I would be brave enough for your trip.

Seems like you had decent weather and stunning scenery

Robin

I don't feel that brave and you don't need much bravery to do it. Not half as much as you might think.

Great pics - and the perfect trip & weather for a convertible.;)

I'm certainly glad I had the sun-roof.
A convertible would have been even better.
Though I certainly wouldn't want to go in anything with a lower power-to-weight ratio.

It was pretty easy, the French roads are good. But the French themselves drive like they are all totally de-restricted.

I don't feel that brave and you don't need much bravery to do it. Not half as much as you might think.

I'm certainly glad I had the sun-roof.
A convertible would have been even better.
Though I certainly wouldn't want to go in anything with a lower power-to-weight ratio.
To be fair, the last time I was in France, it was early summer and it was actually too hot to drive with the roof open during the heat of the day.

We’re off to Ireland on Monday but sadly it is in my wife's B Class. Not looking forward to the driving. We need the extra seats for when we arrinve at our destination (my sister does not have a car). If we were going in the SL, I’d be looking forward to the trip (6 hours driving each way). I suppose the silver lining is that fuel consumption will be a lot less.

Stunning pics buddy , thanks for the Route Napoleon recommendation .
Nice trip....How did you go about planning your overnight stays ?
Last couple of years of trips I have just started using Booking.com (others are available) . Normally by looking ahead on my route a couple of hours or where I think I’ve had enough of driving and just using the app map facility to view available accommodation.

Last couple of years of trips I have just started using Booking.com (others are available) . Normally by looking ahead on my route a couple of hours or where I think I’ve had enough of driving and just using the app map facility to view available accommodation.
You’re ok doing that out of season, but try it in August in France and you could end up sleeping in your car!

Booking.com is a good resource, but in rural areas the Logis de France chain of independent hotels is a good option.

thanks for the Route Napoleon recommendation
If you do drive the Route Napoleon the citadel at Sisteron is worth a stop off. Also, the Gorges du Verdon (D952) west of Castellane are spectacular.

Looks a fantastic trip! Im doing another Euro road trip next year for my 50th, though in the Alfa again (The risk adds an additional frisson of excitement!). For my 40th we did a Euro road trip (in the Alfa) - 9 Countries in 9 days - you can't beat a good road trip and European roads are just so nice compared to the UK (in general).

You’re ok doing that out of season, but try it in August in France and you could end up sleeping in your car!

Booking.com is a good resource, but in rural areas the Logis de France chain of independent hotels is a good option.
Very true buddy , I would NEVER drive in France in August though , too many everyone else . I’m a June or September guy when it’s quiet

Looks a fantastic trip! Im doing another Euro road trip next year for my 50th, though in the Alfa again (The risk adds an additional frisson of excitement!). For my 40th we did a Euro road trip (in the Alfa) - 9 Countries in 9 days - you can't beat a good road trip and European roads are just so nice compared to the UK (in general).
Take an old ABC equipped car if you want some extra risk buddy :rock:

I would NEVER drive in France in August though , too many everyone else . I’m a June or September guy when it’s quiet
Very true. Most of northern France seems to head south at the beginning of August, returning at the end of the month. The two effects are that pretty much everything in northern France is closed, and pretty much every hotel, bar and restaurant in southern France is rammed for the duration.

Hey up,

With regards to planning, what I first did was decide where I wanted to go and how I wanted to get to France.
Once I had figured out that the Ferries are more expensive and competely inflexible compared with the tunnell.

Then chose some cities in France that were 4 hours or less apart.
Obviously, I knew that I wanted to end up in Monaco. Thus I chose cities like Troyes and Lyon, giving me enough time to get to each one, stop for fuel, food and drinks.

Once I knew that I was happy with those cities being large enough to host atleast 2 hotels with carparks, I shopped around Expedia and Booking.com.
I looked on the maps, after setting the refinements and then looked for central places. Which I knew would have shops and cafes within easy walking distance.
Expedia is pretty much the best, by some distance. It isn't the cheapest, but you get more for your money.
You can muck-about with trivago but it's only for pennies, maybe a few quid. Certainly no more than a fiver, if that much. Which I don't think is worth the time.
I booked everything before I set off as I didn't want the hassle of doing that on the hoof.

I also knew I wanted more time to drive the N85 and that this would take longer than anything else, whilst bearing in mind that I wanted to arrive everywhere I was sleeping, in the day-light.

I also made sure that I didn't go during a school holiday.

I deliberately spent the Sunday driving the motorways in France, to Lyon. This is an insurance policy, as it gave me another day in hand: I got back home to a 3 day weekend.

Monte Carlo is my favourite place on earth - always wanted to do the drive from the UK but don't fancy the 2000 miles on the car.
Do it, you won’t regret it!

Monaco is also one of my very favourite places and driving is the only way to do it (for me). Cars and Monaco go hand in hand. Make sure you book in for a detail when you arrive though because you can almost guarantee that it will rain in Northern France!

Do it, you won’t regret it!

Monaco is also one of my very favourite places and driving is the only way to do it (for me). Cars and Monaco go hand in hand. Make sure you book in for a detail when you arrive though because you can almost guarantee that it will rain in Northern France!
Now you've said that the temptation is unbearable :D The last time I was there in 2016 I flew in via helicopter lol (was my 40th birthday) so quite a different experience!

Monte Carlo is my favourite place on earth - always wanted to do the drive from the UK but don't fancy the 2000 miles on the car.
Have to admit before we did our last road trip in the Alfa i was thinking about the mileage i was adding, as mine is still pretty low miles (65k for a 21 year old car). But then i thought why have i got it if not to use it! I love road trips anyway but when you're in a car you're interested in (whatever it is) i think it adds a whole new dimension to the fun.

Now you've said that the temptation is unbearable :D The last time I was there in 2016 I flew in via helicopter lol (was my 40th birthday) so quite a different experience!
You know it makes sense 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom