The S Class - Dad Tank II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Well following on from the great thread that came from me looking for an S Class, I picked up this earlier today. It's a 2008 S320 CDI with 66k on the clock and a couple of nice little options, including the 19" wheels, a sunroof and memory seat package.

One thing I didn't do was haggle for any fuel when I went to pick up so first stop was for a full (£120 worth) of V-Power diesel.

pDUtsWZ.jpg

The drive back was lovely, very very impressed with how quiet and effortless it is to drive. It gets moving when you want it to as well and the seats are the most comfortable I've sat in.

Once parked up on the drive to give it a thorough look over and the detailing began. Just a couple of outside shots as it's clean but not as clean as it will be...

JhAjP1g.jpg

aFSp5l4.jpg

sbtIrwV.jpg

The inside was clean but not clean enough for my liking so I gave all of the plastics a clean up with Chemical Guys Inner Clean then followed up with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care. The leather was cleaned with Dr Leather and the slightly more worn parts of the drivers seat treated to Glyptone Liquid Leather.

This stuff is nice and smells good
j715f2H.jpg

b0bfqkB.jpg

QP0gBXt.jpg

jztB5FQ.jpg

1dnZeHf.jpg

kgdbDRH.jpg

Pt28k8X.jpg

AYn5RHO.jpg

12xyCHQ.jpg

3s8E6Zm.jpg

Very pleased with how the interior came up. I have some new rubber mats to go in the car tomorrow. The OEM mats are in decent condition although oddly, they must have been taken out and put on the ground as the underside was dirtier than the top. Most odd but nothing that the vacuum couldn't handle.

Couldn't resist giving the engine bay a quick once over.

OhESkEq.jpg

z6VQx70.jpg

Tomorrow I'll move onto the outside. Nothing too crazy as the weather is a bit unpredictable and it's too cold for a full detail. I aim for a thorough clean, maybe a hand polish and then a quick spray sealant I suspect.

There's a few little niggles with the car which I'll keep an eye on. It sits very lower at the back when it's stationary yet is a bit higher on the move, certainly no issues with ride quality or errors on the dash so will see. Also it had a very odd moment despite driving it 25 miles home and popping out in it, the ESP/ABS showed as disabled and to check handbook, the steering was heavy as well. It's not done it since so may just be a low voltage thing, I know what my E Class is like. Oh and the one thing I'm not is worth trying to sort is the steering isn't straight. It's almost like it's been taken off and put one spline to the left. For the effort involved I'm not sure it's worth sorting and you don't notice it on urban driving but on the motorway I don't know if I'll end up going mental! hahaha

Overall really pleased with it so far. Let's hope it serves me as well as my faithful old E320!

BVCYt6W.jpg

Your local tyre depot should be able to adjust steering alignment for about £30 using a laser aligner. Mine did.

I was thinking of having the alignment checked on it in case it was that so thanks for the tip. I'll pop out tomorrow and see if I can get it checked. :)

I think these are ageing really well, its a good looking car and yours in fantastic condition, nice car!

Looks Lovely buddy, its got a hard job to do beating 211 though;)

You have worked wonders on the interior looks like new! Lovely car :)

Thanks guys, it's certainly good looking but I think subtle in all respects other than the sheer size of it haha.

It's coming up nicely though, few bits to attack on the exterior and it'll be where I want it. For now. :)

Looks Lovely buddy, its got a hard job to do beating 211 though;)

You're right it really does. The W211 is such a good car, I'd go so far as to say that my E320 was probably the best car I've owned as an overall. All the more impressive that it was only £4k to buy. This S Class really does have a lot to live up to!

Oo it looks lovely. I think a few of us have been wondering how it went today.
I do like the front end on these and the wood trim
Lovely.

Looks really comfortable inside and in great condition both inside and out , congratulations on your purchase

Oo it looks lovely. I think a few of us have been wondering how it went today.

Haha yeah I kinda got that impression. Been nice how people have taken an interesting.

As I mentioned I’m my other thread it’s testament to what a good community we have on here. :)

Lovely looking car, well done on the tidying up.

Always loved the S, we used to joke to a colleague we would trade in my E and his E and get one S.....for me to drive and leave him with the works van. :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I do hope it's as much of a joy to own as my E Class has been, even more so.

Time will tell what it's like to live with in terms of running costs and of course how easy it is do park. I certainly dwarfs the E Class in terms of height and length haha.

That looks great and I’m sure you’ll get lots of enjoyment from it. I like the rear wheel arches on these.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I do hope it's as much of a joy to own as my E Class has been, even more so.

Time will tell what it's like to live with in terms of running costs and of course how easy it is do park. I certainly dwarfs the E Class in terms of height and length haha.

Well I just used to abandon mine in empty car parks or in the woods!
Simple.
IMGP5031.jpeg IMGP5770.jpeg
It changed a little from 2007 to 2009. The grip increased and the height decreased simply to keep up with the digital optimisation under the bonnet.
Enjoy yours!

Thanks for all the kind words, it's certainly in good condition and more so now I've had a chance to give it a once over looks even better.
I gave the outside a proper going over, nothing too heavy going as the weather was a bit unpredictable but started with giving the wheels a de-iron with Autoglym Magma.

a8HfhbT.jpg

No too bad considering.

xqlHz5O.jpg

I then gave the outside a proper wash. Hit it with Citrus Pre-Wash to begin with, rinsed and then washed with Dodo Juice Basics of Bling shampoo and the usual two buckets. Went over the car with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, it's old school but always does the trick. Then a coat of Britemax Extreme Elements sealant which should keep it protected until the spring.

tEMBUcY.jpg

Looking round the bodywork more closely, it's really very good for it's age. There's a weird little touch up on the rear bumper but nothing I'd worry about and what was probably a stone chip touched in on the front bumper. That's really it.

DaaZIaR.jpg

i5zXbHP.jpg

xJlEpWi.jpg

DkcQ74j.jpg

FZc8RH6.jpg

KU1SLSi.jpg

M6AcKZt.jpg

I also fitted the rubber mats which I'd ordered, not the most glamorous but perfect for day to day use and really hard wearing.

MopkBf2.jpg

Gave the windows some glass treatment as well, this stuff is an excellent rain repellent.

OqCfFq2.jpg

There is one niggle which I need to get the garage to sort out. It's come up with an error that the ABS and ESP were unavailable twice but it has gone off. Hopefully nothing major but not worried about that as the garage will sort assuming it doesn't stay off.

Looks like a million dollars.

Great car, and good to see that you're worked on those extra touches.

Before asking the garage about ABS and ESP, why not launch a thread on here to see if anyone has insight? There's a lot of expertise about.

The other thought, beyond ABS/ESP, is to plug in the diagnostic, either yourself, someone else, or your Indy, to see what little error messages might have been around over the last few months.

71RtEH77sHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Could be as simple as some dirt or surface rust on the ABS ring if the car was sitting around for a while?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom