The S Class - Dad Tank II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I've been having 'fun' with the S Class in the last few weeks. It now has a new transmission control module, sent over from Mercedes in Germany and fitted by DDR who I have to say have been awesome.

I have also just picked the car up from having the wheels refurbished. The original finish of these wheels was diamond but against a silver finish. All but one of my wheels had just been painted silver and the one remaining the original finish looked good but not enough contrast. So I opted to have them re-cut but this time they have been powder coated Mercedes light anthracite so a genuine colour but for more modern models. I'm really really pleased with the results, far more contrast but without looking too bling. I'm aware diamond cut wheels can be fragile but the company I used opt for acrylic lacquer which is basically powder coated on and by all accounts as tough as normal powder coating so should last.

wvEoShs.jpg

T38ICHb.jpg

2pVIEwP.jpg

poNTB62.jpg

XP1xiF3.jpg

Can't quite see in the pictures but in the light the anthracite has a really nice metallic sparkle to it. I think it's looking how it should! :)

So I've been having 'fun' with the S Class in the last few weeks. It now has a new transmission control module, sent over from Mercedes in Germany and fitted by DDR who I have to say have been awesome.

I have also just picked the car up from having the wheels refurbished. The original finish of these wheels was diamond but against a silver finish. All but one of my wheels had just been painted silver and the one remaining the original finish looked good but not enough contrast. So I opted to have them re-cut but this time they have been powder coated Mercedes light anthracite so a genuine colour but for more modern models. I'm really really pleased with the results, far more contrast but without looking too bling. I'm aware diamond cut wheels can be fragile but the company I used opt for acrylic lacquer which is basically powder coated on and by all accounts as tough as normal powder coating so should last.

wvEoShs.jpg

T38ICHb.jpg

2pVIEwP.jpg

poNTB62.jpg

XP1xiF3.jpg

Can't quite see in the pictures but in the light the anthracite has a really nice metallic sparkle to it. I think it's looking how it should! :)
Like that, Alex, a lot! :) 👍

Thanks mate, I'm very pleased with how it's looking now. The wheels were one of the highlights of this example when I was looking on AutoTrader for one. I think the refurb now does them justice!

Have you had trouble at your residence that is a rather large cctv sign on your window and door?

Car looks good.

I live near a secondary school and where my fence is on a curve in the road, that panel has been damaged a few times. There are camera to protect my property but the signs aren’t subtle so the school kids know which house to steer clear of haha.

Little update on the S. I will say that one perk of working from home is being able to go and get your car re-mapped during your lunch break! haha

I have a local mapper who I used for my E Class. He uses Quantum re-maps and my experience from my last car was excellent. It genuinely made the car feel far more modern, better throttle response, a good hike in power and definitely increase in torque.

The standard power from an S320 is 234bhp and 398lbs-ft, not exactly underpowered but felt slow having come from my E320. This map will take it up to 283bhp and 476lbs-ft of torque. I have only been for a small drive since having it done but the torque definitely pushes you into the seat, a similar feel to my CLS63! Will be good to see how the economy is with the map. I see a genuine 38mpg on a run so even if I got 1-2mpg I'd be pleased with that.

HAdyynN.jpg

Just a quick clean up of the car today and a once over with some more Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic, still loving that stuff! :thumb:

CVOrHLJ.jpg

XFw45fU.jpg

piWdWGd.jpg

Was trying to catch the metallic in the finish of the wheels, comes out really nicely in the sunshine!

WmoTBDz.jpg

Quick vacuum and wipe down in here.

YeMkYeM.jpg

And the same under the bonnet.

qlqVXPg.jpg

So I had the last piece of the OCD puzzle is now complete! :lol:

Since having my front seats and arm reset repainted, the rest of the leather despite actually looking really good, I wanted to look like new. Also, it seems that despite it's relatively modest 69k one previous owner liked hold the top of the wheel and in turn it was annoyingly worn.

So I contacted the chap I had the previous work and he had a slot today to come and do some leather repainting. First up was the steering wheel, lost of masking...

kJ4yXLm.jpg

That has come up really nicely. Not as much texture as you would get on the original as it has to be filled slightly to level out the worn parts but the finish is spot on.

With the rears, we discussed it and his advice was not to bother with the vertical part of the seats. He said they were in excellent condition so I just had the bench done. This has some general wear and tear but not much. Now looks like this.

RiWcgaZ.jpg

e88cRWC.jpg

M36JRMW.jpg

These are the fronts he did about 3 months ago now.

9boSqCR.jpg

DkSqY6v.jpg

So basically that's everything cosmetic I wanted done, it's all been fully serviced and now re-mapped. Time to enjoy (more than I have already!).

So I had the last piece of the OCD puzzle is now complete! :lol:

Since having my front seats and arm reset repainted, the rest of the leather despite actually looking really good, I wanted to look like new. Also, it seems that despite it's relatively modest 69k one previous owner liked hold the top of the wheel and in turn it was annoyingly worn.

So I contacted the chap I had the previous work and he had a slot today to come and do some leather repainting. First up was the steering wheel, lost of masking...

kJ4yXLm.jpg

That has come up really nicely. Not as much texture as you would get on the original as it has to be filled slightly to level out the worn parts but the finish is spot on.

With the rears, we discussed it and his advice was not to bother with the vertical part of the seats. He said they were in excellent condition so I just had the bench done. This has some general wear and tear but not much. Now looks like this.

RiWcgaZ.jpg

e88cRWC.jpg

M36JRMW.jpg

These are the fronts he did about 3 months ago now.

9boSqCR.jpg

DkSqY6v.jpg

So basically that's everything cosmetic I wanted done, it's all been fully serviced and now re-mapped. Time to enjoy (more than I have already!).
Excellent! , Alex. :cool: :)👍

Well following on from the great thread that came from me looking for an S Class, I picked up this earlier today. It's a 2008 S320 CDI with 66k on the clock and a couple of nice little options, including the 19" wheels, a sunroof and memory seat package.

One thing I didn't do was haggle for any fuel when I went to pick up so first stop was for a full (£120 worth) of V-Power diesel.

pDUtsWZ.jpg

The drive back was lovely, very very impressed with how quiet and effortless it is to drive. It gets moving when you want it to as well and the seats are the most comfortable I've sat in.

Once parked up on the drive to give it a thorough look over and the detailing began. Just a couple of outside shots as it's clean but not as clean as it will be...

JhAjP1g.jpg

aFSp5l4.jpg

sbtIrwV.jpg

The inside was clean but not clean enough for my liking so I gave all of the plastics a clean up with Chemical Guys Inner Clean then followed up with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care. The leather was cleaned with Dr Leather and the slightly more worn parts of the drivers seat treated to Glyptone Liquid Leather.

This stuff is nice and smells good
j715f2H.jpg

b0bfqkB.jpg

QP0gBXt.jpg

jztB5FQ.jpg

1dnZeHf.jpg

kgdbDRH.jpg

Pt28k8X.jpg

AYn5RHO.jpg

12xyCHQ.jpg

3s8E6Zm.jpg

Very pleased with how the interior came up. I have some new rubber mats to go in the car tomorrow. The OEM mats are in decent condition although oddly, they must have been taken out and put on the ground as the underside was dirtier than the top. Most odd but nothing that the vacuum couldn't handle.

Couldn't resist giving the engine bay a quick once over.

OhESkEq.jpg

z6VQx70.jpg

Tomorrow I'll move onto the outside. Nothing too crazy as the weather is a bit unpredictable and it's too cold for a full detail. I aim for a thorough clean, maybe a hand polish and then a quick spray sealant I suspect.

There's a few little niggles with the car which I'll keep an eye on. It sits very lower at the back when it's stationary yet is a bit higher on the move, certainly no issues with ride quality or errors on the dash so will see. Also it had a very odd moment despite driving it 25 miles home and popping out in it, the ESP/ABS showed as disabled and to check handbook, the steering was heavy as well. It's not done it since so may just be a low voltage thing, I know what my E Class is like. Oh and the one thing I'm not is worth trying to sort is the steering isn't straight. It's almost like it's been taken off and put one spline to the left. For the effort involved I'm not sure it's worth sorting and you don't notice it on urban driving but on the motorway I don't know if I'll end up going mental! hahaha

Overall really pleased with it so far. Let's hope it serves me as well as my faithful old E320!

BVCYt6W.jpg
Wow £120 to fill. I've filled mine twice now, from 10% cost me £75.
2014 350 model. Can't see why they'd make the tank smaller.
Do you find using the potions for cleaning much better than soap n water?

Looking good:)
Agree about the Super Resin polish, but sorry to hear you think rubber mats are permissible in an S.:eek:
A couple of dead black sheep would be much more in keeping in the footwell;):D
I wanted to still see my silver AMG mats so bought 8' of that plastic see through carpet protector stuff. Cut to shape works a treat 😎✂️

Well I gave the car a quick wash today and a layer of Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax just as a top up.

1s6lsgf.jpg

v4CAqgF.jpg

I've been itching to de-badge the back end of the car. It's my favourite part of the car, in part because of those tail lights.

So, cracked out the heat gun and gentle warmed the badges. These simply peeled off leaving a bit of residue behind.

3RJVIxV.jpg

Autoglym tar remover, a quick polish and a protect. Looks far more smooth now.

HvUb9N9.jpg

Much less fussy, very pleased with that.

Euf2Tc6.jpg
Haaaaa funny how tastes differ. Mine came with no badges, bought mine on ebay and put them on 🙄

Well following on from the great thread that came from me looking for an S Class, I picked up this earlier today. It's a 2008 S320 CDI with 66k on the clock and a couple of nice little options, including the 19" wheels, a sunroof and memory seat package.

One thing I didn't do was haggle for any fuel when I went to pick up so first stop was for a full (£120 worth) of V-Power diesel.

pDUtsWZ.jpg

The drive back was lovely, very very impressed with how quiet and effortless it is to drive. It gets moving when you want it to as well and the seats are the most comfortable I've sat in.

Once parked up on the drive to give it a thorough look over and the detailing began. Just a couple of outside shots as it's clean but not as clean as it will be...

JhAjP1g.jpg

aFSp5l4.jpg

sbtIrwV.jpg

The inside was clean but not clean enough for my liking so I gave all of the plastics a clean up with Chemical Guys Inner Clean then followed up with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care. The leather was cleaned with Dr Leather and the slightly more worn parts of the drivers seat treated to Glyptone Liquid Leather.

j715f2H.jpg

b0bfqkB.jpg

QP0gBXt.jpg

jztB5FQ.jpg

1dnZeHf.jpg

kgdbDRH.jpg

Pt28k8X.jpg

AYn5RHO.jpg

12xyCHQ.jpg

3s8E6Zm.jpg

Very pleased with how the interior came up. I have some new rubber mats to go in the car tomorrow. The OEM mats are in decent condition although oddly, they must have been taken out and put on the ground as the underside was dirtier than the top. Most odd but nothing that the vacuum couldn't handle.

OhESkEq.jpg

z6VQx70.jpg

Tomorrow I'll move onto the outside. Nothing too crazy as the weather is a bit unpredictable and it's too cold for a full detail. I aim for a thorough clean, maybe a hand polish and then a quick spray sealant I suspect.

There's a few little niggles with the car which I'll keep an eye on. It sits very lower at the back when it's stationary yet is a bit higher on the move, certainly no issues with ride quality or errors on the dash so will see. Also it had a very odd moment despite driving it 25 miles home and popping out in it, the ESP/ABS showed as disabled and to check handbook, the steering was heavy as well. It's not done it since so may just be a low voltage thing, I know what my E Class is like. Oh and the one thing I'm not is worth trying to sort is the steering isn't straight. It's almost like it's been taken off and put one spline to the left. For the effort involved I'm not sure it's worth sorting and you don't notice it on urban driving but on the motorway I don't know if I'll end up going mental! hahaha

Overall really pleased with it so far. Let's hope it serves me as well as my faithful old E320!

BVCYt6W.jpg
A fine pair !

You have a great car,they are amazing value second hand,the secret is to find one with lots of extras,there is a black one on ebay at the moment similar mileage to yours with massage seats heated and cooled soft close and the uprated steering wheel all for £7295

You have a great car,they are amazing value second hand,the secret is to find one with lots of extras,there is a black one on ebay at the moment similar mileage to yours with massage seats heated and cooled soft close and the uprated steering wheel all for £7295
I'm wary of lots of extras, lots to go wrong. Chance you take I suppose..

I'm wary of lots of extras, lots to go wrong. Chance you take I suppose..

Well if you are going to buy a 13 year old S class you might as well have all the extras you can get,many of them do not go wrong the heated cooled seats with the massage function the upgraded steering wheel is no problem as is the sun roof for me because I never use it,the things that go wrong are the air suspension and oil onto the the swirl flap motor and the auto box,the car on ebay has 75 grand on the clock so if it has not had a gearbox oil and filter change it needs doing about£200 at a indy,the swirll motor can be prevented by changing a very cheap oil control grumit it is easy to do well documented,the most expensive thing is the air suspension,but even that has got cheaper over the years.
The number of W221 cars with lots of extras on the market is quiet small,of say 40 on ebay only about 4 will have lots of toys ,what many fail to understand is that even the heated seats were extras and there are at least say 3 on ebay without.
So for me buy one with all the extras you can they are one very fine car and for me the shape is still very modern they look great and they drive great what more can you ask of a sub 8 grand car.

pDUtsWZ.jpg

JhAjP1g.jpg

aFSp5l4.jpg

sbtIrwV.jpg

j715f2H.jpg

b0bfqkB.jpg

QP0gBXt.jpg

jztB5FQ.jpg

1dnZeHf.jpg

kgdbDRH.jpg

Pt28k8X.jpg

AYn5RHO.jpg

12xyCHQ.jpg

3s8E6Zm.jpg

OhESkEq.jpg

z6VQx70.jpg

BVCYt6W.jpg
Car looks immaculate! Hard to believe it’s over a decade old

You got a great car,the memory seat package,many do not have it,now some will say well I am the only person who drives the car so why have say two different seat settings so at a push of a button the seat is set for you,but there is a another very cool thing that happens if you have memory when you are parking the car select reverse and the nearside door mirror will tilt down so you can see the rear nearside wheel very handy given the size of the car and the cost of refurbing wheels.as I said great cars very cheap they have to be the bargain in the mercedes range and they do not rot,if you put that car in sport and give it some right foot the car will eat the road up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom