The safest places to drive in Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Driving in Switzerland has always been a bit of a puzzle to me. The country has a reputation for being well-ordered and the folks law-abiding, but when it comes to overtaking on the road, many seem to have a death wish. Maybe it's as a result of their lives being dull because they all follow the rules in the rest of their lives?

Their favourite trick seems to be to pull out to make an overtake immediately prior to negotiating a right-hand bend where visibility is zero, and then have a head-on with something coming the other way that they couldn't possibly have seen before they started their overtake. This seemed to be such a common occurrence that a mate and I started to notice the stains on the road surface from busted radiators and sumps, all in the same place: left of the centre-line on the entry to a right-hand bend :eek:

My time there was back in the early 2000s taxi driver felt insulted if you wanted a car with a seatbelt (they were usually missing). We (company) eventually found a private firm to provide drivers with safer cars. Have to say the nightlife in Bucharest was awesome back then.

Night life, especially in the Old Town, is still great; as reckless as the driving:p

It's been a dozen years since I've been there, but there is a road high above the sea on the Amalfli Coast in Italy where priority is given to overtaking vehicles:confused:
Only the Italians could have thought that one up!
So, if you are being overtaken it your responsibility to evaporate (either in to the cliff or over the edge?) to make way for the overtaker......
Didn't see any accidents, but I can still hear the horns blowing.

I really am not surprised the Belgians crash a lot, they drive very aggressively and it’s not a pleasure to drive there.

Yes the Belgians have a special knack for bad driving. I believe it was one of the last countries that didn’t have a driving test.

Went on holiday to Malta about 20 years ago with a mate who was friendly with a bar owner.
We landed around 1am & got a taxi to his bar. After a very heavy session on the top bottles, we thought
it time to return to our apartment. The bar owner gave us a lift home in his Morris Marina, everybody
was well p*ss*d, but I was scared sh*tl*ss the way he drove. Ignored traffic lights & stop signs at a steady speed of 70mph. No problem he said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom