The shape of things to come?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
It doesn't seem that long ago we were being advised to buy diesel cars by the government. How times change.

Then people wonder why everyone is suspicious of so called "experts" and politicians.

Give it ten years and electric cars will be getting bad press...

I'm sorry, but I don't buy into all this "the Government made us buy diesels" rubbish. There was a bit of reporting that CO2 would bring our planet to an early end so the Government chose to base the annual VED on CO2 levels. The difference in petrol and diesel VED charges remained tiny compared to all the other car running costs so was of little consequence. People were far more interested in the mpg savings they would get with diesels, ignoring the evidence we'd all seen and smelled coming out of diesel exhausts for decades. People bought diesels to save them money, not because of Government advice. It's strange how so much other Government advice, including using mobiles when driving, is ignored when it doesn't suit the individual. Diesel car owners made an unfortunate decision and must now face the consequences. That's life.

ajntsa.jpg~c200

Looks like there will be a few diesel cars going cheap in the London area over the next few years as people get rid! The rest of us could benefit.

My main point was that a council are actively going to charge more just to park a diesel. This is on top of the Congestion charge that is bordering on madness at £11 50 a day!

I'm betting loads more councils will look at this and think, hang on, we can make some serious money here. The motorist pays yet again.

And I'm sure once these measures are implicated that none of these councils would dream of owning any diesel cars in their fleet... because that'd just be hypocritical wouldn't it...

I knew this would happen. It's one reason why I've avoided diesel.

I knew back in 2005 they would eventually take the incentive they offered to switch to diesel, turn it on it's side and shove up people's rses.

The real irony of this is that discouraging people to use diesel in one area will result in more diesels being sold in another area. If the government really want to reduce the number of diesel cars on the road, they need to consider scrappage of older vehicles and restricting new vehicles being introduced into the market place.

It is no good telling us that diesel is a killer, but still encouraging us to buy it by allowing the industry to sell it. That is simple hypocrisy.

TheFoX said:
It is no good telling us that diesel is a killer, but still encouraging us to buy it by allowing the industry to sell it. That is simple hypocrisy.
Is allowing the industry to sell diesel really encouraging us to buy it? In which case, everything is the government's fault. The mentally challenged amongst us think that way, whilst many of us have more than two brain cells to rub together allowing us to realise that we have to take some responsibility for our actions. Next people will be saying it's the government's fault that they got wet when they went out in the rain without an umbrella. Or at the very least blaming the government for your hangover after a heavy night because they allowed alcohol to be sold.

Is allowing the industry to sell diesel really encouraging us to buy it? In which case, everything is the government's fault. The mentally challenged amongst us think that way, whilst many of us have more than two brain cells to rub together allowing us to realise that we have to take some responsibility for our actions. Next people will be saying it's the government's fault that they got wet when they went out in the rain without an umbrella. Or at the very least blaming the government for your hangover after a heavy night because they allowed alcohol to be sold.

Oh dear.

The real irony of this is that discouraging people to use diesel in one area will result in more diesels being sold in another area. If the government really want to reduce the number of diesel cars on the road, they need to consider scrappage of older vehicles and restricting new vehicles being introduced into the market place.

You say that discouraging diesel in one city will push the problem elsewhere.
Don't you think other councils through the country will just follow suit ?
It's going be a nice little earner , I can't see many councils will want to lose the extra revenue.:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom