The Smart is dead, long live the Smart!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
My trusty old Smart is now a year old and has been swapped for a new one.

It was ok, covered 6600 miles in it, averaged 45mpg (71hp petrol) as I drove it like the urban assault vehicle it is. I wore the front tyres down to 3.5mm and the rears to 5.5mm. The rims and bodywork survived totally blemish free.

Benefits to me are £10 a week for fuel, zero service costs, just insurance to pay for. I also enjoy huge parking advantages at work as Smarts have their own private bays right outside the back door to the office :) Other cars have to battle for spaces and if not in by 0830 then you've got a 10 min walk in from the nearest available spaces:bannana:

I once drove this car from Milton Keynes to Stoke-on-Trent to London then back to Milton Keynes. It coped amazingly well and was comfortable all the way if the stereo was on loud enough to drown out the engine and road noise. On a local race track, I found the top speed to be limited to 96mph :)

The Grey coupe wasn't that gay, the new Red cabriolet is very gay by comparison. :fail still, I'm confident enough in my sexuality to not let this bother me :p

10E5FE29-0C7A-49D8-9C5E-0C2357724E36-11801-000006123805C395.jpg

Last edited:
I've been driving a smart for 2 odd weeks now... at worst, I've done 220 miles in a go and it's been a great car. (tempted to buy ear plugs for motorway use though!)

M,

Free cars are always cool.

Damn right:thumb:

In the last 12 months, I've borrowed the following cars in order to fulfil driving duties the Smart isn't suitable for:-

GL450 x 1
GL350 x 3
SL350 x 4 (2 each of r230 and r231)
R350L x 1
E350 CDi estate x 1
E250 CDi cab x 2
C350 CGi x 1
C250 CDi x 1

In the last 12 months, I've borrowed the following cars in order to fulfil driving duties the Smart isn't suitable for:-

GL450 x 1
GL350 x 3
R350L x 1
E350 CDi estate x 1
E250 CDi cab x 2
C350 CGi x 1
C250 CDi x 1

Do tell, are these all customer cars booked in for a service and you get to borrow them for extended test drives? :D

GL450 x 1
GL350 x 3
R350L x 1
E350 CDi estate x 1
E250 CDi cab x 2
C350 CGi x 1
C250 CDi x 1

Assume your employer doesn't actually pay you money, just free car usage?

Do tell, are these all customer cars booked in for a service and you get to borrow them for extended test drives? :D

Haha, all these are brand new and on a pool car fleet that's available to book and use. No cars belonging to anyone apart from my client are on site.

Assume your employer doesn't actually pay you money, just free car usage?

I'm self employed and providing services to a company in MK with very close Daimler links :) I have to pay a day rate to use the non-smart cars.

If you work for Mercedes at HQ......they are short changing you... :thumb:

Oops you beat me to it...

Haha, all these are brand new and on a pool car fleet that's available to book and use. No cars belonging to anyone apart from my client are on site.

I'm self employed and providing services to a company in MK with very close Daimler links :) I have to pay a day rate to use the non-smart cars.

Lucky you!

Now how do I find a job providing services to the food, music and car industries?

smart is amazing!!!

im concerned the replacement is going to loose its niche appeal due to the association with renault on the chassis share agreement

or have i read the online portals totally wrong??

Off topic.

Last edited:
Just traded in my Smart after 9yrs of relatively trouble free driving. So much fun around town, cheap to run & yeh ... parking never a problem :thumb:

If I have one tip ... put the back wheels on the front & get bigger for the back. I did loads of motorway driving and this sorted out cross-winds a hell of a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom