The swirl motor (resistor) solution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black c320

Car
06 E280 CDI w211 Estate
Following Alex Crows suggestion about a resistor to simulate the swirl motor I decided to give it a try yesterday.
I got a 4.7k ohm resistor from Maplins for 26 pence and as it was an experiment i didn't want to cut wiring so i inserted the resistor tails into the connector pin holes in the live and signal wires on the swirl motor plug.

So i took the car for a 25 mile run of mixed roads and the car ran perfect,
no CEL no limp mode and its normal 36+ mpg.

Although this was done as an experiment i have decided to run the car as is to see how it goes long term with no swirl motor.

The swirl motor problem is a subject we have been discussing on the Chrysler 300c crd forum for a couple of years and although my swirl motor had not failed, I decided to give it a try, now we have the solution.

Another member whos swirl motor has just failed has today carried out the mod and saved the cost of the repair.

Now the mod has been proved the resistor will be installed in a more permanent fashion.

Just wedge the flaps in the open position.

The flaps are open by default, what about limp mode with a failed or disconnected motor?

Great thread. I'll speak to my indie about this when mine next goes.

Refreshing a tread :)
Just did the resistor mod on my w221 and it works
Can members who done it log in here ?
We could keep a track on performance etc.
In my case I knew swirl problem is not far away.When I got my w221 orange seals on turbo intake pipe were wet, motor too.So I knew it's just matter of time.
It happened yesterday :-(
In first instance I ordered a new motor, then thought about resistor solution an I've done it today.30 mins and car performs perfect.
Car is booked for monday with my tech so still will go there, plug star to clear stored codes,etc
Happy days

Hello Gentlemans.

After spending hours of reading this forum I think a found something that is close to my issue. I would like to ask you for some help. I have w211 e280CDi engine OM642. One day my car started to jerking when pulling the throttle pedal so I found out that the turbo actuator could be the issue I resoldered the two problem contacts and the found the info about the resistor mod for swirl flaps - could they do the jerking? I tryied the resistor mod but for the first time no succes, the car drove but only for 50% of power no limp mode because the kickdown worked but the motor was very lazy. When I removed the resistor and made a test drive the car was with full force. So second time I tried another resistor and made a test drive and the car stayed with 100% power and I personally think it had better and smooth running and the gears were changing smoother as well. But after one hour of enjoyable driving and engine check light appeared and car went to limp mode (faults 2514,2526,2530,2527 appeared). So I removed the resistor and putted everything back to defaul nothing happened, engine check still on the dash. So I desided to check the fuses and found that fuse no43 is blewn - 15A. When I replaced it car started to work no limp mode I cleared the faults and no one appeared again. Before I tryied the resistor mod I didnot get any fault regarding the swirl flaps, I was only curious to try it if there will be some change in the engine behavior. So my question is could the resistor cause the fuse no43 to blow? If yes why?

The resistor used was 4K7 0,6watt

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

Simple answer is no.
A 4k7 resistor will allow a maximum of around 3ma to flow in a 12 v circuit, so not enough to blow a fuse.
Unless of course it is controlling a secondary circuit that has a problem, but that is unlikely.

Hello Ted thank you for your kind reply. Its possible that the blow fuse caused the turbo actuator because after the blown fuse I found that the two power contacts on the PCB inside the turbo actuator were damaged as we know that this is the common issue. Tomorrow my dad resoldered thw two contacts so Im thinking to give a one more chance to the resistor and see what will happen. What do you think?

Reactions: Ted
I think that is worth a shot - but just test the value of the resistor first. Chances are it will be 10% tolerance so roughly 4k7 will be fine.
If the contacts are getting fouled or fuse blowing and the turbo actuator is still in circuit I would suspect that though.
Sorry I can’t be more help as I’m not familiar with that, but best of luck.

There is no reason to be sorry about. Im really glad for your concern and for every advise. I will try again to put the resistor in the conector make some test drive and will bw back with the results. Thank you much appreciate that!

Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom