The tale of the shrunken "Soft" Top....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pja666

Car
1979 350SL V8, ALFA BRERA BLACKLINE, DEFENDER 90 TDi, SHOGUN 3.2Di-D.
Hello folks,
Well, I'm yet another newbie to the site and looking to pick the brains of anyone who can help!
I've recently acquired a '79 350SL V8 auto. It has what looks like a fairly unused soft top in a dark blue cloth and in very clean condition with a clear and crack free pane of clear plexi in it.
My problem is, with the hood locked in place at the back it is impossible to stretch it far enough forward to lock it in to the two locking points above the windscreen, or or indeed vice-versa.
I have seen some Jeep owners comments on a similar problem they have experienced, and they suggest warming it up in the sun (if we get any) and trying to stretch it to fit when its warmed up enough to "soften" it. Not sure of the efficacy of this, but thought I'd ask you chaps if you have any suggestions before I pay attention to the Jeep brigade....
Absolutely any advice would be much appreciated, as would any suggestions as to where I can get hold of some rear light clusters for less than the cost of a small country.
Thanks in advance,
Paul. (Bristol)

Welcome to the forum.

With the rear pin NOT engaged pull the top fwd and engage the two front pins and lock them down firmly. Then exit the car and push the rear pin into its hole...it should 'click'. With a new hood it can be tight to do this but if you use the heel of your hand over the pin with the other hand on top to help (think CPR resus position). With that done wind the tensioner handle around until it stops at which point you have successfully erected your hood.

NB. The front pins will NEVER engage if you have the rear pin entered. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Druk . I have tried the method you describe, but have been wary of damaging the hood by "forcing" it. I was wondering if there might be some sort of cream or fluid perhaps which might be used to soften the fabric which is immaculate but dry and "stiff", sort of like a bone dry canvas tent if you know what I mean?

Kent Bergsma tackles this very problem in this vid. He puts a heater in the car to heat up the roof.
https://youtu.be/wM55ZalsAcI

[YOUTUBE HD]wM55ZalsAcI[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
Thats very interesting. Seems heating up coupled with a bit of judicious elbow grease or indeed "cpr" might do the trick then. I shall have a go and let you know how I get on....
Thanks very much for your help.
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom