The throw away TV's and why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Technology is supposed to be progress but sometimes I do wonder. We recently binned a GEC McMichael 14" tele that we bought in 1982! Every so often the slide controls did need a squirt of cleaner but overall nice clean picture. Replaced with a wall mounted flat panel so I could more easily connect some cctv equipment to it, otherwise would have held on to it until it's death. Wonder if the new tv will last as long?!

progress....dunno?!
The thing was that anyone could fix your old Sobell,Mc micheal come GEC, you did not need a circuit diagram, any fault on that could be worked out max in 5 mins, firms made universal and pattern parts that I could buy from say up to 20 suppliers.

If an 280 pin IC goes down thats the size of a postage stamp on a modern set, without £30k worth of special gear we have to send them away (the PCB) and firms charge £50 to fit it. Its a waste of time now, and most engineers have the same bad name as garages.

requiring almost bi-annual migrations

Quite a treadmill!

As for Vista ... in our lab tests, Vista ran over 40% slower than XP on the same given hardware whilst offering little in the way of features or benefits as things stand.

I've so far only seen Vista in businesses on laptops. I know of one that is moving to Vista in June and that was a hard decision for them.

However your environment represents an extreme. Economics and needs vary.

Most users out there in most business could run on Microsoft's W2K, Office 2K, and 2K server products.

5 year support is available on commodity kit. And some organisations plan such that older kit is decomissioned in waves allowing cannibalisation for spares to support the remainder - a bit like self-insurance.

The difference between what I see now and 10 years ago is not that the kit lasts longer before breaking down but that it lasts longer before being superceded.

Talking of throwing stuff away versus repairing them...

Malcolm are you still OK to take a look at my father-in-law's B&O CD deck if I bring with me to Olly's place next Sunday?

I can pick it up again when I'm down for Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The rest of the B&O kit has been intalled in his shed for entertainment whilst dining alfresco, swimming, etc.

B&O in the shed!! :eek: How posh is that!!?? :D

Talking of throwing stuff away versus repairing them...

Malcolm are you still OK to take a look at my father-in-law's B&O CD deck if I bring with me to Olly's place next Sunday?

I can pick it up again when I'm down for Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The rest of the B&O kit has been intalled in his shed for entertainment whilst dining alfresco, swimming, etc.

B&O in the shed!! :eek: How posh is that!!?? :D

Yes, if it can be done then it will be done, please bring it with you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom