The throw away TV's and why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

television

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
R230 SL500
The picture shows a 2 year old Sony LCD flat screen, the digital tuner has gone down, so what happens now.

I pick up the set from the house and get it on the bench and the first ½ hour goes on getting the back off and ready on the bench. The bit that has gone is the oblong box in the center, cost £69 time to fit 2½ hours plus putting back together and returning it so total cost at £20 per hour is £80 for labour plus £25 collection and delivery plus parts, so the repair bill is now some for some £180 and the person says no thanks I will buy a new one. So now I have a ½ working set and am £40 out of pocket as I have made nothing out of it.

Just thought I would explain a little about something that we all have

Attachments

• Picture 714.jpg
    Picture 714.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 211
The picture shows a 2 year old Sony LCD flat screen, the digital tuner has gone down, so what happens now.

I pick up the set from the house and get it on the bench and the first ½ hour goes on getting the back off and ready on the bench. The bit that has gone is the oblong box in the center, cost £69 time to fit 2½ hours plus putting back together and returning it so total cost at £20 per hour is £80 for labour plus £25 collection and delivery plus parts, so the repair bill is now some for some £180 and the person says no thanks I will buy a new one. So now I have a ½ working set and am £40 out of pocket as I have made nothing out of it.

Just thought I would explain a little about something that we all have

Sad reflection on today I guess. That's why the TV shop up the road from where I used to live closed - the guy retired and his sons did not see how they could make any money. Now another charity shop :eek:

Use it as a PC monitor?

Use it via the scart plug and a freeview/sky tuner??

Its a sad state but thats the world we live in,

I buy computer equipment and we reckon on a life of around 3 years is good. The stuff we throw away is still pretty good....

Just goto the local tip where you will see really good bikes being skipped or for that matter all manor of stuff. Still works or would be cheap to fix but people don't.

I was born in Africa and some of the stuff I see that we skip would still have years left there. Its sad really but we are all guilty.

Are you able to keep the set?

How about you fix it and put it on ebay? at least you will get your money back and maybe some more for even nicer valve caps :)

cheers

Is that common with Sony LCDs? I have a 2.5 year old bravia LCD (40")....can I expect it to pack up? I think it is just out of guarantee:rolleyes: . I'd just like to know so I can prime the budget controller about the impending capex requirement:)

Yes I could use the set via a digi box but the spec is so low the picture is horrible, and I could not watch it, selling on Ebay maybe, fixing up and selling, that's a no go as I give 12 months guaranty on everything that I sell. Someone will buy it as is to recover my cost

Is that common with Sony LCDs? I have a 2.5 year old bravia LCD (40")....can I expect it to pack up? I think it is just out of guarantee:rolleyes: . I'd just like to know so I can prime the budget controller about the impending capex requirement:)

No this one is the KDL series built 12-05

This going wrong is no different to the MB cars on this forum, there are over 200 MBs where I live, yet mine is the only one on the forum.

The piece in question that has gone was made in Eastern Europe as they cant afford to make them in Japan anymore.-

Dont think about it, as it may never happen to you

Sell its as it is..

Ebay being as it is some muppet will buy it.

:)

I did a call out where this guy bought this flat TV from Ebay , I soon told the guy that it was scrap, He went wild saying that I am a no good idiot as the man on Ebay said it was perfect,, I left and did not get paid for that call out as well:mad:

Now you know why I am stopping after 58 years and posting too much here instead :confused:

Some plumbers wont go to a call-out without having your credit card details for the same reason - and for you to agree to a minimum 30 minute charge regardless of whether work is done or not.
I suggest you consider doing something similar.

This going wrong is no different to the MB cars on this forum, there are over 200 MBs where I live, yet mine is the only one on the forum.

The piece in question that has gone was made in Eastern Europe as they cant afford to make them in Japan anymore.-

Thanks - will keep the pennies under the mattress for now then. Would have been a hard sell to the controller anyway - she's only just got used to how much I paid for this one:)

Eeekk I have a Sony KDL46W2000! Bought it about 1 year ago and am glad I have the 5yr warranty now having read this.

Eeekk I have a Sony KDL46W2000! Bought it about 1 year ago and am glad I have the 5yr warranty now having read this.

This one is the KDL32A****

This situation is not much different to the the 203 front SAM that I got from richard, it took hours to partly get undone till I got to the 85 connections done with lead free solder, I gave up at this point and threw it.

I did a call out where this guy bought this flat TV from Ebay , I soon told the guy that it was scrap, He went wild saying that I am a no good idiot as the man on Ebay said it was perfect,, I left and did not get paid for that call out as well:mad:

Now you know why I am stopping after 58 years and posting too much here instead :confused:

Seems to be the way of the world these days.

New consumer goods are so cheap, no-one wants to repair anything any more. Combine that with a culture of no personal responsibility, and we have the situation you describe.

One day, I don't know when, but it will probably be when I am dead and gone, people will remember that there was a time when engineers used to exist who could fix things, but by then, it will be too late :(

Being an engineer of any kind used to be an honorable profession, something to be proud of, doesn't seem that way any more does it?

Being an engineer of any kind used to be an honorable profession, something to be proud of, doesn't seem that way any more does it?

How true, I was lucky having spent my first year working in an engineering factory where we made milling machines. I learnt in that time how to use all of it from the giant Cincinnati mills, cylinder and surface grinding, scraping and gear lapping. This was to set me up for life in what I can do now. Having the RR small engine division just down the road was great and those guys were so clever in what they did, but as you say all gone now.
Its the same as with dear old Dad who could pick up a piece of wood and hand cut dove tails too perfection.

All gone, throw it away instead. The joy of taking out the dynamo, buying the bearings and rebuilding was far better than watching any DVD

i'll buy it , looking at buying a cheap one for my boy to play his xbox on (many of the newer games are 60hz and the tv he has is 50hz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom