The truth about smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ackee911

Car
Mercedes-Benz S500L
A lot of my friends have started to give up smoing recently. Not sure if it is because of all the support available, the information given out by the NHS or the credit crunch, which is causing this. Or could it be the smoking ban?

I've searched everywhere trying to find a proper answer with strong scientific backing about the effects of occasional smoking. Most people I know that would smoke were 40+ a day. So yes, there is strong evidence to suggest a drop in health as a result, but what about people like me-the occasional smoker. I mean occasional as in 3 or 4 in a week. Sometimes weeks go by without so much as a puff, but other times....

I wouldn't say I'm addicted at all. But what are your thought/opinions on occasional smoking?
:rock:

I don't smoke, but if someone is not addicted, why bother? Why on purpose do harm to yourself (and possibly others?)

Doesn't bother me that others smoke, cos now in bars/clubs etc I don't end up passive smoking or stinking as a result of their habit! :)

i read somewhere ( perhaps the smokers gazette) that one cigarette a day can actually have health benefits, maybe in the same way as an asprin a day helps certain people, thinning of blood i guess.

no doubt there are health workers here who will slam this statement

Well I heard it protects you against parkinson's. Yes, a smoker friend told me it, so it may not be true.

or stinking as a result of their habit! :)

thats quote just made me chuckle somewhat.

I don't smoke either, never have. Its seems to be a waste of money to me.

But if people have a need to do that, carry on, don't let me stop you.

I am sure there is evidence of what one cig does to you, and it will no doubt be countered by evidence that over a period of time, the damage that 1 cig does will repair. Its the irrepairable damage of that 1 cig, followed by another 1 cig over a time that causes the problems.

It may be 1 cig a week is less damaging than 1 cig an hour. but no cigs a week is far less damaging, cheaper and less stinky.

I don't judge people by cig smoking however.

i read somewhere ( perhaps the smokers gazette) that one cigarette a day can actually have health benefits, maybe in the same way as an asprin a day helps certain people, thinning of blood i guess.

no doubt there are health workers here who will slam this statement

it would be interesting to hear what benefit?

asprin and red wine, can thin your blood, but it has to be measured doses, not just slun in willy nilly.

Not sure what benefit inhaling smoke, and the effects of tar have on you though.

I get the impression it maybe the argument that Cannabis, with its pain reducing effect is what they are mentioning. however, its somewhat negated if you smoke the resin in tobacco.

Cigarettes lower your blood pressure (hence when you first start you feel light headed) but there are far less harmful drugs that do the same.

It was recommended in the past to high blood pressure sufferers that often had their nose capillaries blow (and bloody nose) because of the pressure to smoke one or two a day.

I was once told by a medical student at college that any smoking did you cumulative harm (and that was in the days of serious passive smoking in the student bar) but that a short period of not smoking or quitting and the life expectancy difference between an early life smoker and a complete non-smoker was almost identical.

as an aside i met a bloke once who religously bought one pack of ten each week and smoked one and during the act ran the others under the tap and threw them in the bin on the basis that the first one was always the best. well i'm sure it made sense to him.....

Cigarettes lower your blood pressure (hence when you first start you feel light headed) but there are far less harmful drugs that do the same.

It was recommended in the past to high blood pressure sufferers that often had their nose capillaries blow (and bloody nose) because of the pressure to smoke one or two a day.

By whom.?

I thought smoking increased blood pressure due to the reduced oxygen in the blood, so the heart pumps more to compensate.

The reduced oxygen is why one feels light headed.

I started smoking at 11 years old, smoked for about 10 years, 30 a day, now haven't smoked for more than 30 years but Ive done a hell of a lot of passive smoking due to my job until the smoking ban came in.
Nice to not come home from work smelling like an old ashtray.

I was in hospital two years ago with pnuemonia which developed into pleurisy and then sepsis.
Had you seen what I saw, you would never touch another fag.

Can somebody please tell me why anybody smokes their second cigarette?

As a teenager at school we all had the illicit puff behind the gym, but I felt so sickeningly awful afterwards that I was put off for life.

By whom.?

I thought smoking increased blood pressure due to the reduced oxygen in the blood, so the heart pumps more to compensate.

The reduced oxygen is why one feels light headed.

In the 30s and 40s, the crazy days when a Lucky Strike cleared the throats of Hollywood actresses :eek:

B

I thought smoking increased blood pressure due to the reduced oxygen in the blood, so the heart pumps more to compensate. .

Also the heart pumping more doesn't mean there is more pressure. More pumps of the heart mean smaller contractions (lower stroke pressure) , therefore lower pressure overall.

That doesn't mean to say that smoking doesn't increase the blood pressure in a longer span (2-3 hours) but immediately it does, that's why they recommend to measure your blood pressure at least 25 to 45 mins after smoking.

Have to agree on the oxygen matter with you though :)

Last edited:
I don't want to start a row here but you must look at Greece and it's smoking habit.

First of all,they have the longest life-span of any country in Europe. This is down to Olive oil, diet, lemon juice, fish and plenty of sunshine. A trip to the graveyard reveals men and women living well into their late 80's and then on.

Secondly, the Greeks are the heaviest smokers in Europe. If you are in a bar, taverna or ouzeria they smoke when they drink, talk, watch the football and worse of all during their dinner. Many times we have been half way through a huge meze when a couple of the guys put their forks down and light up!! Only to cary on eating once their fag is finished. All this is while other people are still eating.

A trip to the bank will result in you discussing the weather, tourism and whatever, all followed by a quick smoke with the bank manager (we have them too).
On the bus under the no-smoking sign will be Spiros the driver lighting up.
On the till at the supermarket an ashtray is always hidden for the check-out girl to have a quick one.

It's the way they do it, but we have all seen the little old dears, dressed in black, with all their shopping walking up zillions of steps only to have a smoke on the way up...amazing!!!

The no-smoking in public places law comes here next year, will they stick to it?....who knows.

Last edited:
my father died recently of cancer (non smoking related)....age 56!......im a smoker.......we all have to go!, my wife works with very elderly people....gaining a few extra years of life is not always that good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom