The truth about smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry, what part of "that sh*t's gonna kill you" are you smokers struggling with exactly..? :mad:

Last edited:
this is not entirely true as your lungs (despite not being a smoker) will still look similar due to all the crap that's in the aira round us.

This comes from a family member who is a doctor.

Google 'smokers lungs' and click the images button top left.

Do NOT do it if you are eating or squeamish because they are quite graphic.

i'm afraid there are several direct comparisons that mean that heavy smoker vs non-smoker does NOT "look similar".

Now I'm sure they might have compared a Swiss goat herder who died in an accident at 21 vs a 100 a day miner but to cling to "the air is bad so everyone's lungs are bad" is tragic IMHO.

The main problem being people who constantly remind us about it.... :mad:

I don't want to get into a war, nor a he said this and he said that.

but......smokers do have a habit of suggesting that they are paying for the NHS services, that we all benefit from, as though it was a good will gesture on their part and we non smokers ought to be grateful.

I am sure their contribution is welcomed, but how much do smokers cost the NHS?

I do appreciate that you smokers will get fed up with us saying it will kill you, in the same way motorists are fed up with speed cameras etc. But reality suggests that stopping smoking, and not speeding, leads to us all having the chance of a longer life, and that really can't be a bad thing can it?

I've stayed out of this so far , but my mum died last year of lung cancer . A few members know , but in all honesty i have tried to keep it to myself as i come to terms with it.

To everyone who smokes , i only wish you could have watched her wither away to nothing over several months ( 6 months from diagnosis to death ) .

I wish you could have seen the heartache it caused for me and my dad , all the pain and tears , the mess and suffering towards the end.

I would not wish that on anyone. All because of the love of cigarettes.

What a waste.

A healthy individuals lungs will look nothing like a smokers i'm afraid. Even in central London the air is not that polluted. Compared to sucking on a stick of concentrated chemicals , breathing the air around us doesn't even come close.

I have come to realise that yes , it is an addiction , and i have a lot more sympathy for people trying to give up than i did before . I realise how addictive it is ( my dad is trying to give up , to no avail , even after my mum died from it , in front of him over a long period ) but you are kidding yourself if you think it's not harming you and even a few are alright.

An emotive subject for me , i'm sorry.

Like Howard, my Mother passed away from the effects of smoking. Its now been almost 10 years but the memory of seeing her in the hospital bed remains as fresh now as 10 years ago.
She was alway a small, petite lady, but the final few days saw her shrink to a virtual skeleton. There was no outline of a body below the sheets, just this sallow, pale, almost unrecognisable face laying on a pillow.
The smoking gave her TERRIBLE pain in her legs over the last few years through hardened arteries. So much so, she was pleading with the doctors to amputate both her legs. The pain was 24/7 and she could get no relief. The only slight help from the pain were hefty doses of powerful drugs.
She wasnt THAT old when she died and I am absolutely positive she would have lived another 5-10 years were it not for the evil cigarettes.
When I hear stories such as "My dad smoked 40 Capstans a day and lived until he was 95", I dont even bother to comment as I know the truth.
If it was up to me, I would restrict the sale of cigarettes to over 25's and ban smoking in ALL public places.

The sooner smoking is made illegal the better for all of us.

That would be a bad move, the other illegal drugs cannot be controlled, how would the addition of another help, especially when it is legal across the water.

I too, was a smoker who quit, some 15 years ago now, and I still get that dreaded urge every now and then. My mother, her four sisters and brother all died from smoke related diseases, cancer was was only in one of them, the rest died from eother heart attack, emphsymia and broncho pneumonia, but that generation were all brought up in ignorance, even in films, if a soldier was dying, coughing up blood, he was give a fag:crazy: :D :D

I don't want to get into a war, nor a he said this and he said that.

but......smokers do have a habit of suggesting that they are paying for the NHS services, that we all benefit from, as though it was a good will gesture on their part and we non smokers ought to be grateful.

I am sure their contribution is welcomed, but how much do smokers cost the NHS?

I do appreciate that you smokers will get fed up with us saying it will kill you, in the same way motorists are fed up with speed cameras etc. But reality suggests that stopping smoking, and not speeding, leads to us all having the chance of a longer life, and that really can't be a bad thing can it?

I couldn't give an opinion about what smokers costs the NHS, but I do know that it certainly costs them nothing in my case. Never had a reason to visit them.... lucky me (for health and their services).

I couldn't give an opinion about what smokers costs the NHS, but I do know that it certainly costs them nothing in my case. Never had a reason to visit them.... lucky me (for health and their services).

good on you. I never smoked and was round at the Docs this morning, Seems I have either got a kidney infection or a stone.....hmmmmmmm

£10 worth of prescription drugs to see if that will either cure it, or write off one of the prognosis's

That would be a bad move, the other illegal drugs cannot be controlled, how would the addition of another help, especially when it is legal across the water.

..............................................................: :D :D

It would help us all because a large number of people would be forced to give up. Smoking would not be found in any public area, open or closed and would be confined to the odd few houses where people decided to break the law. The country would be a far better place. Those who chose to continue would be a small number compared to those that smoke today. Take Cannabis for example; still around here but not found in public much. Other illegal drugs are kept at bay from the masses because they are illegal. Imagine a society where heroin or cocaine was legalised in public:eek: Awful.

I remain convinced that smoking of all forms should be made totally unacceptable in public, anywhere.

Whenever I see someone light a cigarette I cross the road and think, there goes a weak person. What right do these people think they have that they can put carcinogens into the air that we all have to breathe. Perhaps if individuals were made accountable for their smoking they would consider more carefully where and when they did it. After all, the merest hint of smoke in the air that I breathe is having an impact on my health however small. That person should be accountable. If I did anything to them that affected their health I would be prosecuted! How fair is that?

It would help us all because a large number of people would be forced to give up. Smoking would not be found in any public area, open or closed and would be confined to the odd few houses where people decided to break the law. The country would be a far better place. Those who chose to continue would be a small number compared to those that smoke today. Take Cannabis for example; still around here but not found in public much. Other illegal drugs are kept at bay from the masses because they are illegal. Imagine a society where heroin or cocaine was legalised in public:eek: Awful.

I remain convinced that smoking of all forms should be made totally unacceptable in public, anywhere.

Whenever I see someone light a cigarette I cross the road and think, there goes a weak person. What right do these people think they have that they can put carcinogens into the air that we all have to breathe. Perhaps if individuals were made accountable for their smoking they would consider more carefully where and when they did it. After all, the merest hint of smoke in the air that I breathe is having an impact on my health however small. That person should be accountable. If I did anything to them that affected their health I would be prosecuted! How fair is that?

Thanks. Very clever logic. I have to say my view on smoking HAS changed quite a bit. I don't think I will smoke in public again-nor will I near another person. And I suppose, since I don't really smoke alone, I will not be smoking again.
However, if I'm with a group of friends (that smoke) I may be tempted....

But once again, to everyone, thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

I don't want to start a row here but you must look at Greece and it's smoking habit.

First of all,they have the longest life-span of any country in Europe. This is down to Olive oil, diet, lemon juice, fish and plenty of sunshine. A trip to the graveyard reveals men and women living well into their late 80's and then on.

Secondly, the Greeks are the heaviest smokers in Europe. If you are in a bar, taverna or ouzeria they smoke when they drink, talk, watch the football and worse of all during their dinner. Many times we have been half way through a huge meze when a couple of the guys put their forks down and light up!! Only to cary on eating once their fag is finished. All this is while other people are still eating.

A trip to the bank will result in you discussing the weather, tourism and whatever, all followed by a quick smoke with the bank manager (we have them too).
On the bus under the no-smoking sign will be Spiros the driver lighting up.
On the till at the supermarket an ashtray is always hidden for the check-out girl to have a quick one.

It's the way they do it, but we have all seen the little old dears, dressed in black, with all their shopping walking up zillions of steps only to have a smoke on the way up...amazing!!!

The no-smoking in public places law comes here next year, will they stick to it?....who knows.

The longest lifespan of any country in europe is NOT Greece it,s Andorra

This is an interesting thread from a social perspective (nothing new on the health/unhealth front).

What it reveals to me is the rising level of intolerance (the word 'hate' is deployed too) in our society and how as we 'progress' we want to control others:

On balance I do not know why people have such strong opinions, those smokers that are dying early are saving the taxpayer money and making the state pension bill much more affordable than it otherwise would.

Now that we have the smokers on the back foot and feeling guilty and ostracised it is now time to turn on the fat ba$tard$ whose unhealthy lifestyles make them a drain on resources and a future NHS liability.

Once we have the fat ba$tard$ sorted - who do we target next?

Is this targetting a feature of being constrained by legislation which prevents the targetting and discrimination against, disabled, race, gender, women etc etc so we target those not protected by law.

Last edited:
Now that we have the smokers on the back foot and feeling guilty and ostracised it is now time to turn on the fat ba$tard$ whose unhealthy lifestyles make them a drain on resources and a future NHS liability.

Good point. hang Robert. He's fat.

there, thats my contribution. one less problem and more oxygen for the rest of us. simple.

shall we organise lynch a fat person day?

:devil:

(for the humour fail types, I am extracting the urine, not making a real point, but no doubt that will be inconsiderate too. Hang the lighter side of life then while we are at it)

(for the humour fail types, I am extracting the urine, not making a real point, but no doubt that will be inconsiderate too. Hang the lighter side of life then while we are at it)

Absolute Gold..... extracting the piss..... :D

good on you. I never smoked and was round at the Docs this morning, Seems I have either got a kidney infection or a stone.....hmmmmmmm

£10 worth of prescription drugs to see if that will either cure it, or write off one of the prognosis's

Hm... not good. Hopefully nothing to serious!

I was delighted when the smoking ban was brought into force, whilst I am not bothered about those who wish to continue smoking in the open air (so long as I don't have to walk through their exhaled rubbish) I also like to now go and enjoy drink or two and not come home needing to wash acrid, stale smoke from my hair and clothes.

I have never smoked, but was brought up passive smoking as both my parents smoked. Mother smoked 30-40 a day, first thing in the morning in bed with a cuppa and last thing at night also in bed. Both parents I'm pleased to say gave up over 12 years ago - a great effort I thought given it was clearly an addiction and something they wanted to do. Not least of all as my grandfather died at 73 from a smoking related disease.

A good age, 73. But to have seen him suffer as he did from emphysema for 14 years, he was reliant on oxygen masks, not being able to walk any distance and was bed ridden for the last 2 years and to see the panic in his face when he couldn't breathe was heartbreaking. The evening he passed away was a relief for him.

I just wish he'd been able to enjoy his life to the full even towards the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom