The Truth Behind British Politeness (from The Telegraph)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wafflers

Like many others on this forum, I've spent a lot of my life working with foreigners here and in the rest of the world. It took a while to appreciate their interpretation of what I was saying or writing so I soon learnt to be more careful. The worry is that Mrs KE, who's mother tongue isn't English, uses some of those phrases and I'm still not always sure whether she's using them as a foreigner or a Brit. Her usual open to interpretation phrase is "I don't mind ... ", which for her means "I'd like ..." but can be understood as "I'm not bothered either way".

It also works the other way. Chinese and Indians visiting the UK for business are very good at saying yes, when in fact they mean no.

It also works the other way. Chinese and Indians visiting the UK for business are very good at saying yes, when in fact they mean no.
My experience with the Chinese has been that when they say "yes" whilst smiling and nodding, they really mean "I have heard and understood what you said. Let me talk to my boss and I may get back to you with an answer".

A bit like when you ask the wife what's wrong, and you get "Nothing" in response :D

I simply don't ask............. Works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom