The Tyre Wear Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Given all the talk about tyres... would be nice to collect some data...

So, if you could post what tyre you are using, how long you've used it and how much it's worn. If you start with a new tyre, state "NEW"

I'll start:

Tyre: Goodyear Ultra-Grip 7
Start Depth: NEW
End Depth: approx 3mm
Miles: 16,000 (approximate figure)
Notes: 1 tyre started splitting on the sidewall while crossing the desert.

I'll do my best to collate findings twice a year or so...

It's going to get complicated as most vehicles wear the tyres on the drive wheels (front or back) faster ...

i have a new set of falkens on mine , do all tyres start of with the same depth of tread ?

It's going to get complicated as most vehicles wear the tyres on the drive wheels (front or back) faster ...
True... we can do "drive-axle wear" and "non-drive-axle wear" (unless you rotate your tyres... which I do as I'm a tight miser)

i have a new set of falkens on mine , do all tyres start of with the same depth of tread ?
No- that's why I went with "new". If new, it doesn't matter if its 4mm or 16mm, that's what you get from the supplier...

M.

so how are you going to know how much its worn then ?

so how are you going to know how much its worn then ?

I was actually thinking more of a "tyre lifetime" type thing... I.e. when you buy a new brandX tyre, it lasts this much, while a new brandY tyre lasts this much...

Point taken though! So, if you have measurements for the new tyre depth, post those too ;)

M.

On my E Class W211 245/45 R 17.

Factory Fit continentals - 20K miles
Bridgestone REO50 - between 40K and 45K - Excellent tyre for this vehicle

My runs are generally motorways./

Tyre wear will depend a great deal on driving style in the same way that mpg does. Quick acceleration and braking instead of coasting to slow down will give less mileage than the more gentle driver, straight roads and no turning down side streets as well :D

Falkens on the C43.

New 2000 miles ago. 50-75% worn out on the rear.

My SL has averaged 18k for a set of new Contis......about 21k miles front and 15k rear......I drive it as if there were a glass of water on the bonnet.

Mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom