Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe the fault is with 'us mortals' who are not in the same world as their representatives and officials?
Then by definition the very act of standing for any election should disbar you as the you will not be able to represent the voters in the constituency.

If that’s the only choice then something has gone very wrong😟
Something has been wrong in politics here and abroad pretty much from the time that people decided to set up systems to govern others.

Quotation-George-MacDonald-It-is-not-in-the-nature-of-politics-that-the-18-21-48.jpg

Then by definition the very act of standing for any election should disbar you as the you will not be able to represent the voters in the constituency.

I think this has been often suggested in various styles ....

But at the end of the day voters have to carry some sense of responsibility.

It has also been suggested that 'none of the above' or equivelnt should be added to allow those who would cast a vote to say none of the candidates is worthy. I wonder if such an option might rescue our politics by providing a means for voters to communicate their dissatisfaction with the choices on offer rather than allowing those voted in as 'least worse' or 'at least they are not....' to claim some sort of active consent by the electorate over and above their true level of support.

I think this has been often suggested in various styles ....

But at the end of the day voters have to carry some sense of responsibility.

It has also been suggested that 'none of the above' or equivelnt should be added to allow those who would cast a vote to say none of the candidates is worthy. I wonder if such an option might rescue our politics by providing a means for voters to communicate their dissatisfaction with the choices on offer rather than allowing those voted in as 'least worse' or 'at least they are not....' to claim some sort of active consent by the electorate over and above their true level of support.
The French being French, have already "embraced" this idea. So in Macron's election a remarkable 6.5% of the votes were left blank (i.e. none of the above.

Going back to a graphic from 2017, the difference is really quite stark.

But politics, by definition, is only ever about those who turn up. If you don't turn up and stick with it, you're irrelevant.

French election results if abstentions, blank and invalid votes were included

Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 17.25.32.png

I believe Australia has a legal requirement for citizens to vote, but they also have a 'None of the Above' option on the ballot.

I believe Australia has a legal requirement for citizens to vote, but they also have a 'None of the Above' option on the ballot.
Yep, and from what I've seen, Australians hate their politicians more fervently than the British.

Even though they get this 92% turnout.

😲😲😲😲😲😲😲

"May You Live In Interesting Times"

Last edited:
Cue Theresa May, David Cameron, Michael Howard, Ian Duncan-Smith, William Hague, and even John Major ?

In the middle of a storm, first throw overboard the Captain, Navigator and Chief Engineer.

(Thank god that Biden, Scholz, Macron and Draghi will be replaced in the next two years due to similar internal revolts)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Boris is on borrowed time now. It's inevitable he has to resign as well.
Smarmy Gove waiting in the wings anyone?

The Conservatives have one chance to get this mess sorted out quickly otherwise there will be a rout of the party at the next election and this will open the doors to Labour who also have weak leadership, are berift of ideas and ability and could easily be drawn back to far left ideologies.

Last edited:
4653.jpg

Well blow me down, finally some of them have grown a spine!
Just lining themselves up for the leadership challenge.
Denials or not it is a conspiracy.

I personally feel Sunak's about turn of loyalty will see him return to the nowhere he came from.

I'm happy to see BoJo push off at last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom