Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Dover port authority predicted the level of traffic and had agreements in place with the French border control but the French didn't turn up, thats not the fault of the UK government. The French authorities do what they always do and blame someone else even when the evidence says otherwise.

Back in the 80s the French restricted video recorder imports from Japan by routing them via Poitiers where there was a small team of customs staff who were tasked with performing very detailed inspections of each video recorder being imported.

My first thought when watching the queues at Dover was to wonder what the French were up to - and it brought back recollection of that trade 'conversation' with the Japanese and the mindset behind it.

Had I known that voting for Brexit would lead to French people being workshy and deliberately awkward I would definitely have voted remain.

I know we all live in our own silo of normality, but I've been shocked by the conversations I've had on "Truss v Sunak...."

It seems that he is a brown Muslim.

There are ways of softening the description. (He's rich). But the core issue remains.

elephant.png

And, no, I am not being Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Angry poster warning.

I've had a polite email telling me that the Warm Home Discount scheme shall be paying me a one off payment of £150, I've no need to apply it's automatic.
I am not and will not be eligible.

So along with other payments that I wasn't and wont be eligible for, I have been told I can have sweet F*nny Adams but will be paying for many others.
Are the energy companies still in high profit?
The magic money tree has been stolen from Labour.

I don't begrudge my non wealth helping the needy, but once again there is no attempt to ascertain a need, it's just another free gift.

A suppose the levelling up of classes will be complete when we are all skint.

things will get a whole lot worse, they have to destroy the old system 1st, before people accept the "new system" but its coming and rather swiftly.

I know we all live in our own silo of normality, but I've been shocked by the conversations I've had on "Truss v Sunak...."

It seems that he is a brown Muslim.

There are ways of softening the description. (He's rich). But the core issue remains.
Personally I couldn't care less about Sunak's race, heritage or religion (or, for that matter, his personal wealth). I do, however, care about his politics and how that is likely to affect the direction of travel of any government he may lead.

He is undoubtedly a smart guy, but I'm not sure his stated position on various matters - not least the economy - is what we need at this time. He gives the impression that he's become indoctrinated with the Treasury's thinking, or perhaps his own views were already aligned with that thinking? Had that orthodoxy lead to great economic success over the last few decades that wouldn't be an issue, but it hasn't. It's too rooted in the "managed decline" school of thinking for my liking.

Personally I couldn't care less about Sunak's race, heritage or religion (or, for that matter, his personal wealth). I do, however, care about his politics and how that is likely to affect the direction of travel of any government he may lead.

He is undoubtedly a smart guy, but I'm not sure his stated position on various matters - not least the economy - is what we need at this time. He gives the impression that he's become indoctrinated with the Treasury's thinking, or perhaps his own views were already aligned with that thinking? Had that orthodoxy lead to great economic success over the last few decades that wouldn't be an issue, but it hasn't. It's too rooted in the "managed decline" school of thinking for my liking.
For sure the Chancellor is always the head of the Treasury and reflects their thinking.

I’d make two points:

If not him, then who? He at least has extraordinary intellect and technical training. The others certainly don’t.

As I said, from chatting with a wider group of people from all parties, i found the the hatred and distrust of the brown Muslim to be amazing. I’m used to it in Europe but I thought the UK had moved on a bit. We clearly haven’t.

E474A2DE-1352-4A14-8C83-20093E3EA2AD.jpeg

He's a globalist. Watch him move to the US in the next few years, if not sooner.

Truss is far more pragmatic and I'm sure wants to do the best for the UK but I fear she will be thwarted by the blob in concert with the globalists.

Simple and obvious solution to the UK's financial and energy woes ..... put back/ease back on NetZero targets and immediately start fracking and boost North Sea output of our own gas supplies.

Oh, and stop the insane importing of wood chips from the US to power Drax power station.

..... and use our own coal which is just lying in the ground.

Any guesses for whether this will happen?

If not him, then who? He at least has extraordinary intellect and technical training. The others certainly don’t.
Good question.

My experience (from the commercial world) is that - with rare exceptions - finance people make terrible CEO's.

Sunak has the intellect and technical background to be a good, or maybe excellent, Chancellor but - and I accept that there were exceptional circumstances during his tenure - I don't see evidence of him using that intellect and experience to challenge the Treasury thinking, as I believe it needs to be challenged.

Whether he would make a good leader is an open question, but my gut feel is that his finance bias would be a hindrance rather than a benefit in that role.

He's a globalist. Watch him move to the US in the next few years, if not sooner.

Truss is far more pragmatic and I'm sure wants to do the best for the UK but I fear she will be thwarted by the blob in concert with the globalists.

Simple and obvious solution to the UK's financial and energy woes ..... put back/ease back on NetZero targets and immediately start fracking and boost North Sea output of our own gas supplies.

Oh, and stop the insane importing of wood chips from the US to power Drax power station.

If Rishi prioritised globalist money, he’s be either running money or his father in law’s information technology business.

He’s a political wannabe, and there’s no future for a British born Indian anywhere outside the UK, except maybe the UN and other agencies.

Want to make some money for the Uk?

Bring back all the commercial and tech industries which are based in the USA, and bring back the tax revenues hiding in Dublin & the other EU tax states. (Half of Ireland’s corporate tax revenues comes from ten tech companies paying just 2 or 3% tax on profits. (Look up the Irish Dutch tax sandwich).

Thick Chancellors worry about the tax on beer and sausage rolls.

Good question.

My experience (from the commercial world) is that - with rare exceptions - finance people make terrible CEO's.

Sunak has the intellect and technical background to be a good, or maybe excellent, Chancellor but - and I accept that there were exceptional circumstances during his tenure - I don't see evidence of him using that intellect and experience to challenge the Treasury thinking, as I believe it needs to be challenged.

Whether he would make a good leader is an open question, but my gut feel is that his finance bias would be a hindrance rather than a benefit in that role.

Saw that far too much in Local Government. Mostly control freaks rather than enablers.

When the Finance Director told me I couldn't run the new and desperately needed payroll system as there was a £5 variance (shortfall), I slapped a fiver on the table and told him there'd be another one every month. He went to the CX who said "take his money if you need to balance the books". Never heard anything further.

Mind you, I'd transferred the Council's auditor from Finance to the CX just before then! 😉

If Rishi prioritised globalist money, he’s be either running money or his father in law’s information technology business.

He’s a political wannabe, and there’s no future for a British born Indian anywhere outside the UK, except maybe the UN and other agencies.

Want to make some money for the Uk?

Bring back all the commercial and tech industries which are based in the USA, and bring back the tax revenues hiding in Dublin & the other EU tax states. (Half of Ireland’s corporate tax revenues comes from ten tech companies paying just 2 or 3% tax on profits. (Look up the Irish Dutch tax sandwich).

Thick Chancellors worry about the tax on beer and sausage rolls.

Excellent point about corporation tax, but the G7 agreed to maintain a high and common rate of (I think) 26%. The Irish issue was swept under the carpet.

Back to Sunak .... Infosys and Central Digital Bank Currency. Apparently the Bank of England has been working on this for a year or so.

Top tip - start saving cash.

Good question.
I agree with you on leadership, and I think Rishi demonstrated that in some of his more public moves while Chancellor.

But these have been challenging times for any Chancellor.....

And we're in a situation where it's either him or her

Every City / Commercial contact I have thinks that Liz Truss is not up to any Cabinet job, let alone the Primus Inter Pares job of running Cabinet and presenting on behalf of the UK.

The good bit of news is that the clever young seem to be less likely to emigrate to the States than they were a decade or two ago, and the hardworking young technicians seem more sceptical about emigrating to Australia and NZ, what with wildfires, droughts and lockdown.

Every City / Commercial contact I have thinks that Liz Truss is not up to any Cabinet job, let alone the Primus Inter Pares job of running Cabinet and presenting on behalf of the UK.
Before they decided to be more polite, thereby demonstrating that the Tories won't be massively hindered toward progress by in fighting, Sunak found it far too easy to talk over Truss. How could she ever lead a Gov't if she can't get a word in.
Sunak takes no responsibility for our inflation. Covid was a challenge but the printing of money to clam the population was far, far toooo generous, and corrupt. And He's still at it.

Doomed, doomed, doomed he told us.

Sunak takes no responsibility for our inflation. Covid was a challenge but the printing of money to clam the population was far, far toooo generous, and corrupt. And He's still at it.
Doomed, doomed, doomed he told us.

In "our," not "his," defence, I'd argue that the Eurozone did a worse job.

Lagarde still shows that's she's Macron's French political appointee with little Economic grip on reality. She's only now just raising interest rates back to zero percent. That was overdue before the Covid19 crisis.

"Doomed" is the Eurozone if Germany lets the sanctions on Russia remain through the Winter. Without Germany propping up the Zone, there are going to be some very angry and unemployed people, especially around the Club Med States. Angry about national and EU leaders.

Eurozone raises interest rates for first time in 11 years

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 12.28.04.png

Lagarde still shows that's she's Macron's French political appointee with little Economic grip on reality.
Lagarde has always demonstrated that she is politically astute and an economic dunce. Perfect candidate for the role of President of the ECB 🙄

Ineos have offered to run a study to prove fracking can be safely conducted in the UK so Jim Ratcliffe clearly sees there's still an opportunity. The prognosis looks good. Its just a shame Cuadrilla didn't utilise industry Best Practice and soured the milk for everyone. But then if you've ever had the pleasure of working with one of their initial advisors you'd understand why. Likes a drop or three.

I read today that even if we were self sufficient with gas the price would still be through the roof as gas prices are set globally. I dont know how true that is.

I read today that even if we were self sufficient with gas the price would still be through the roof as gas prices are set globally. I dont know how true that is.
If we were self sufficient the producer would probably sell it abroad for more, so there's an element of truth unless the government stepped in, declared national emergency, and forbade any sales overseas.... Could you see our government having the balls to do that??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom