Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same thing has happen with fracking.

Good point.

What has happened to the fracking “debate” now that we realise it’s worth a lot of money to “ordinary people?”

If nowts done soon about fuel and energy prices people will end up cooking in the garden, on old twigs, with a beer in there hand. Whats the world coming to. 😇

Good point.

What has happened to the fracking “debate” now that we realise it’s worth a lot of money to “ordinary people?”
Technically there’s still a moratorium, though Rishi and Liz have both said they’ll look to lift it. Ineos still seem interested and even offered to conduct a study/demonstration. (To basically undo the reputational damage that Cuadrilla caused by not following best practice) Their focus moved to the US in the interim. I think IGas have largely moved on, diversifying into geothermal etc.

Shale makes so much sense, even with net zero in mind but of course there is a very vocal anti-fracking lobby/NIMBY contingent. It will be interesting to see if the projected cost for gas changes the view of some of the ‘anti’ lobby.

It will be interesting to see if the projected cost for gas changes the view of some of the ‘anti’ lobby.
It may, but I suspect it won't change the view of the most vocal/strident. They have an ideology to protect, and reality can't be allowed to impinge upon it.

Somewhere I have a similarly bbq-themed photo of me cooking steaks in November in the pitch dark, complete with head torch to illuminate the culinary efforts.
I have pals in Boston who take pride in barbecuing year round.

Including during their 2-3 months of snow.

It may, but I suspect it won't change the view of the most vocal/strident. They have an ideology to protect, and reality can't be allowed to impinge upon it.
The issue is that the "establishment" always sides with the vocal minority no matter how small.

I have pals in Boston who take pride in barbecuing year round.

Including during their 2-3 months of snow.
We use the BBQ all year round - i love it. We even used it Christmas day once to spit roast two chickens (actually nicer than Turkey i think). Crispy bacon sarnies are also epic on the BBQ - and you don't stink the house out. I have to admit ours is gas though - not as good as charcoal but not far off and it's good to go in 10 mins from firing it up. Ours is a Broil King - great bit of kit proudly made in Canada. (Even says so on the box!)

Technically there’s still a moratorium, though Rishi and Liz have both said they’ll look to lift it. Ineos still seem interested and even offered to conduct a study/demonstration. (To basically undo the reputational damage that Cuadrilla caused by not following best practice) Their focus moved to the US in the interim. I think IGas have largely moved on, diversifying into geothermal etc.

Shale makes so much sense, even with net zero in mind but of course there is a very vocal anti-fracking lobby/NIMBY contingent. It will be interesting to see if the projected cost for gas changes the view of some of the ‘anti’ lobby.
I don't quite follow the argument that fracking is a solution to the high price of hydrocarbons in the UK.
Sure it may be cheaper to produce, but it would appear that that's not the governing factor in how much it costs to buy. At the moment it would appear that international demand rather than extraction costs is what has caused prices to soar. This is been aided by an artificially decreased supply for political reasons or hydrocarbon multinational profitability. All it really needs is for the gas producers to turn on the tap a bit more. If some multinational was producing gas by fracking in the UK at present why would it be any cheaper to UK citizens than piped /North sea gas or imported LPG when its market price is way beyond the cost of its production or origin ? :dk:

If some multinational was producing gas by fracking in the UK at present why would it be any cheaper to UK citizens than piped /North sea gas or imported LPG when its market price is way beyond the cost of its production or origin ?
It would require that the licence to extract would include a right for UK users to purchase at below market rate.

It would require that the licence to extract would include a right for UK users to purchase at below market rate.
Yes, this is going to be the interesting bit, to see how the Govt secures production for the domestic market. The current operators like Ineos im sure would welcome a reduced deal as currently they’re stuck having made significant investment but no chance of ROI due to the moratorium.

We use the BBQ all year round - i love it. We even used it Christmas day once to spit roast two chickens (actually nicer than Turkey i think). Crispy bacon sarnies are also epic on the BBQ - and you don't stink the house out. I have to admit ours is gas though - not as good as charcoal but not far off and it's good to go in 10 mins from firing it up. Ours is a Broil King - great bit of kit proudly made in Canada. (Even says so on the box!)
BBQ Buddies!
bbq.jpg

Yes, this is going to be the interesting bit, to see how the Govt secures production for the domestic market. The current operators like Ineos im sure would welcome a reduced deal as currently they’re stuck having made significant investment but no chance of ROI due to the moratorium.
Why would they want to be restricted to the price they can sell at? This is very unconservative. Normally the strike price is set at a high level to encourage investment, and then fixed for a ridiculous number of years to make the ROI guaranteed.

As said above, the only real answer is to increase supply as its really a global market (or reduce demand, which is the better approach)

Why would they want to be restricted to the price they can sell at? This is very unconservative. Normally the strike price is set at a high level to encourage investment, and then fixed for a ridiculous number of years to make the ROI guaranteed.

As said above, the only real answer is to increase supply as its really a global market (or reduce demand, which is the better approach)
I’m sure they wouldn’t want to be restricted but currently the Govt has the stronger hand in that they have put in place a moratorium. So the operators are in limbo. There’s a deal to be struck for sure. Maybe a phased approach to initially make cheaper gas available (domestically) to dilute the Ukraine issue with a better deal for the operator later in the fields life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom