Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It appears losers consent is lost on some.

Would'nt it be fun watching sport where the losing side argues the toss for years after the game.

Sorry Mike, you are wrong. The UK always had the freedom to go its own way,even as a EU member. We were a sovereign nation then as now.
Go easy there - it's all they've got to cling to.

Meanwhile, things take twice as long to get done and cost 30-75% more when they do. No one involved in these supply chains blame Brexit. But to a man, they will tell you ''Brexit isn't helping''. Present that as a positive when in reality it impedes not enables. But hey, the vaccine roll out..

Thats always been easy, big rubber boat with lots of scrotes on board.
How do you know they are scrotes? They seem to be showing an awful lot of persistence and fortitude to cross whole countries to get to where they want to be. Maybe some of “them” could be useful. I hear some may be doctors and nurses , fleeing from oppressive regimes. I think they were doing this before Brexit as well. I’m not sure closing the border has made a blind bit of difference as these were not European to start with. Maybe we need an actual legal and accessible way to come to the uk. We still need all kinds of skills to keep functioning as a country, and we can’t/won’t provide them from people already here.

Back to the fuel bills. One massive saving for households would be to scrap the standing charges, never had them a short while ago, another rip off. I got fed up with my energy company pre empting my next bill and hiking my bill up as they did after me ringing them on numerous occasions to explain, I AM OUT OF THE COUNTRY FOR 5 MONTHS,

While I understand the concept of standing charges for the up keep of the infrastructure, I'm surprised the energy companies got away with increasing standing charges as much as they did. There is no proportional relationship between rising wholesale energy costs and standing charges. Infrastructure costs are essentially fixed or will rise with inflation and wholesale fuel costs should have no bearing on it and yet my electricity standing charges have doubled in 12 months.

The cynical view is that fearing customers would reduce their consumption, they substantially upped standing charges to maintain profitability or at least to reduce their losses.

I am in the UK, well I think that Lincs is still a part.
We had the pet passport and nothing has changed except Boris crap Brexit.
It's my understanding that the EU changed the rules regarding the UK not the other way round? We (the UK) still recognise the passports but the EU decided not to (a bit of tit-for-tat?). The EU are requesting the changes.
As far as the cost of an animal health certificate, you are definitely paying premium rates there! Less than half that from our local veterinarian. Perhaps you need to 'shop around' if it makes that much difference?
At least we aren't back in the old days, with the requirement of 6 months quarantine on return to the UK! (The joys of being a rabies free island)

While I understand the concept of standing charges for the up keep of the infrastructure, I'm surprised the energy companies got away with increasing standing charges as much as they did. There is no proportional relationship between rising wholesale energy costs and standing charges. Infrastructure costs are essentially fixed or will rise with inflation and wholesale fuel costs should have no bearing on it and yet my electricity standing charges have doubled in 12 months.

The cynical view is that fearing customers would reduce their consumption, they substantially upped standing charges to maintain profitability or at least to reduce their losses.
My thoughts exactly!

Ask anyone in the work environment who id seeing first hand the price increases incurred by businesses that have to operate at a physical level (eg, maintain infrastructure) and they will tell you that the costs are uncontainable without passing them onto end user customers.
A pallet of goods from Coatbridge to NE Scotland in March cost £35. In June, £70. In September?.. Another delivery I'm expecting used to cost £20 in carriage - now £35. That's to move product that itself has increased in price by 30-35%

It would be better to publicise this such that the public can understand why the cost of everything they buy has risen substantially. Without explanations there will be frustration and anger and if Truss (who is inevitably the next PM) does not make serious inroads into helping those most in need with their utility bills, anger will inevitably find an outlet. I don't think the severity of the situation is being taken remotely serious enough.
Inevitably there will be an element but the energy supply companies (the ones still standing) are between a price cap and out of control wholesale gas prices. Those who are truly making the big profits are going largely unchallenged. So long as there's a feeling that BP, Shell, etc's dividend payments will safeguard a personal pension - why would they be challenged?

I'll differ on that one.

May ensured that May failed. She was a useless Home Secretary, and a useless (and therefore doomed) PM.
He could have stood against her but calculated it wasn't in his best interests so didn't.

I'll differ on that one.

May ensured that May failed. She was a useless Home Secretary, and a useless (and therefore doomed) PM.
It is far worse. In the final days of her failing premiership, she also signed us up to this:

Another take on this:

It was not put to Parliament. There was no debate on this despite a 45,000 petition opposing it:

So, a beleaguered Prime Minister seeking her last hurrah, or perhaps another agenda.

Sadly, Boris confirmed our participation when he took up office in 2019.

It is far worse. In the final days of her failing premiership, she also signed us up to this:
May also committed the country to a legally binding “net zero” CO2 environment - nodded through parliament in her last days as PM.

The woman is an utter disaster area, and has done untold damage to our country.

Indeed he could. Remind me of how many others stood against her?
Five. With 50% of votes in the first round, May was clearly on for the win and likely visible to all but the five prior to the first ballot.
It is known that Johnson resented Cameron's premiership on account of him being junior in years. And that he wouldn't settle without levelling that score. But there had to be a mess to be the saviour - 'after you Theresa'....

May also committed the country to a legally binding “net zero” CO2 environment - nodded through parliament in her last days as PM.

The woman is an utter disaster area, and has done untold damage to our country.

Did she come up with all this herself, or was she acting on orders? Boris continued the nonsense.

May was clearly on for the win
Precisely. And didn’t Gove publicly brief agaInst Johnson? So why would he have stood against her?

Johnson is guilty of many things, but when it comes to winning an election he does actually have strong form.

Back to climate change again - how sending us back to living in caves matters to the Chinese:

View attachment 130951
A bit meaningless as it’s only a percentage increase. If the per capita emission starts out as very low then a large percentage increase of a small number is still a small number in absolute terms. Do you have a graph of co2 emissions per capita? The combination of those two would tell more of the whole story, but still not all of it.

It turns out that the average Chinese person emits about half what we do in the uk, and chinas per capita emission hasn’t substantially changed since 2013.

It's my understanding that the EU changed the rules regarding the UK not the other way round? We (the UK) still recognise the passports but the EU decided not to (a bit of tit-for-tat?). The EU are requesting the changes.
As far as the cost of an animal health certificate, you are definitely paying premium rates there! Less than half that from our local veterinarian. Perhaps you need to 'shop around' if it makes that much difference?
At least we aren't back in the old days, with the requirement of 6 months quarantine on return to the UK! (The joys of being a rabies free island)
P. S.
Those who travel routinely with their pets to a second home, holiday destination in the EU, get your local vet there to issue a Pet Passport. As long as there are no breaks in the rabies vaccination you won't need to get an animal health certificate to travel to and from the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom