Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes....a direct result. The massive market garden and supermarket producers around Chichester left crops to rot because the European and Eastern European workers who harvested them did/could not stay after Brexit. And the Brits don't want those physically hard low paid jobs.... and when they take the job they don't last long. At one point Langmead farms where offering an hourly rate to pick crops, significantly higher than I get as a sales manager....just to get some of the labour they needed.

I'm not suggesting that everyone who voted Brexit is racist...far from it.....but it certainly affected the result. As said above.....which ever way you voted ....most people just did not really know what they were voting for and just voted on one or two points they agreed with... not the bigger picture.
I'm far from alone in this view.... backed up by the fact that most surveys say lots regret us leaving.... and that number grows by the month. Anyway....its just my view and that's what political discussion is all about.

As far as I’m aware the EU was a trading block.

As far as I’m aware the EU was a trading block.
Hijacked by the French to push their own agenda along with others such as Belgium.

Germany tried to be a voice of reason and balance at times but Merkel was an avowed federalist. Her and Guy Verhoffstadt were vocal advocates for further and faster integration.

Your view. Kindly do not apply that to others who took a different view to your self

My reasons for voting leave were never about free movement.

As I have said here several times , just before the vote took place we sat around having a meal with a large group of friends discussing the referendum.

All well educated, all in senior positions in their own respective careers. Not racists!

Only one was a remain voter.

The rest of us are very much wished to be part of the original trading community that we initially signed up for but did not support nor wished to be part of the continued centralisatiom of powers and the increasing dimunition of EU member states sovereign powers.
Ditto.

Lifelong supporter of the EEC, and spent most of my career specifically working on Pan-European “stuff” with Pan-European team, but started to throw my toys out of the pram when the EC pushed through the Treaty of Lisbon & the Five Presidents despite obvious objections across Europe.

When Cameron was told to clear off with his request for fundamental reforms (Federal merger opt-out, corruption, open borders, bureaucracy) in 2015, I knew we had to be out.

It is however true. They outnumber the rest of the population.
You can visit our area in the summer to confirm this.
I would move then!

Reactions: JHS
Yes....a direct result. The massive market garden and supermarket producers around Chichester left crops to rot because the European and Eastern European workers who harvested them did/could not stay after Brexit. And the Brits don't want those physically hard low paid jobs.... and when they take the job they don't last long. At one point Langmead farms where offering an hourly rate to pick crops, significantly higher than I get as a sales manager....just to get some of the labour they needed.

I'm not suggesting that everyone who voted Brexit is racist...far from it.....but it certainly affected the result. As said above.....which ever way you voted ....most people just did not really know what they were voting for and just voted on one or two points they agreed with... not the bigger picture.
I'm far from alone in this view.... backed up by the fact that most surveys say lots regret us leaving.... and that number grows by the month. Anyway....its just my view and that's what political discussion is all about.

You must be a subscriber to The New European 'newspaper for the 48%'? Edited by one Alastair Campbell, Tony Blairs ex-spin doctor. :D

Last edited:
I must just say, this forum is great and this thread is also fantastic. On the whole, everyone is very good-natured and understanding without taking offence when people offer differing view points.
Most importantly for me, it has been an enormous source of useful information and opinion, which has helped me find new view points and follow up with more information outside of this forum to improve (if that is the correct word) my understanding of many, many national and world issues.

Thank you to all who contribute - please keep it up!

Exactly. Right across the EU, crops have been left in the fields to rot….. and you think France, Germany, Spain and Italy are short of migrant pickers because …. of Brexit?

Particularly annoying is that so many vineyards in Provence have been, and are being, pulled up because of the shortage of pickers….. “because of Brexit.” (According to Remain)

Particularly annoying is that so many vineyards in Provence have been, and are being, pulled up because of the shortage of pickers….. “because of Brexit.” (According to Remain)
Initially the shortage of wagon drivers, that was attributed to Brexit until later shown that there was a Europe wide shortage.
But now we see that the lack of fruit pickers is also Europe wide.

Where has all this labour gone? I can't imagine Covid is still the reason.

Initially the shortage of wagon drivers, that was attributed to Brexit until later shown that there was a Europe wide shortage.

"Brexit" is the go to excuse for so many things that are, as clearly shown and evidenced here not connected whatsoever.

At one time it was the summer vocation of choice for students. Work, earn, drink,sh*g and repeat.
How times have changed in this apparently poverty stricken country of ours.

I thought many of the drivers working for the Eastern European (EU based) trucking companies were actually Ukrainian. Pre Brexit I was in Mielec and Rzeszow in Poland and the hotel workers there were complaining about cheap Ukrainian labour undermining local workers... The irony eh.... Perhaps those Ukrainians are busy doing something else at the moment 🙄

So why are the market gardens/veg producers unable to recruit local workers when there are so many benefits scroungers around. Benefits is supposed to be a fallback option not a lifestyle choice. If all the foreign workers who came over here to work and were mainly housed in caravans on the site could do it why can't our youngsters do it instead?

I thought many of the drivers working for the Eastern European (EU based) trucking companies were actually Ukrainian. Pre Brexit I was in Mielec and Rzeszow in Poland and the hotel workers there were complaining about cheap Ukrainian labour undermining local workers... The irony eh.... Perhaps those Ukrainians are busy doing something else at the moment 🙄
Very possibly.
Here in Buxton we 'were' familiar with the Polish workforce contribution. This seems to be far less now, if at all.

For some reason or other, about 2 years ago we started to see the Ukrainian influx. Although largely female. For a short time there were also males, now all gone.
Seriously though, I hope they are all safe and well, but I have doubts they all will be.

But if there is this shortage of labour across Europe, when there are reported large scale unemployment of the younger generation, what is happening there?
The Ukrainian labour, and even the Polish, can only be a smallish part surely.

So why are the market gardens/veg producers unable to recruit local workers when there are so many benefits scroungers around. Benefits is supposed to be a fallback option not a lifestyle choice. If all the foreign workers who came over here to work and were mainly housed in caravans on the site could do it why can't our youngsters do it instead?
The answer is it's not a long term solution for the youngsters and Tik Tok will tell them it's beneath them.

The eastern European workers could tolerate living in carp conditions as it bought them land and possibly even a house back home if they did that for a number of years.

I would move then!
"As I have said here several times , just before the vote took place we sat around having a meal with a large group of friends discussing the referendum.

All well educated, all in senior positions in their own respective careers. Not racists!

Only one was a remain voter."

You must surely be aware that not everyone falls into this cosy demographic, indeed the majority fall well outside of it.
I fully accept and respect that many thought deeply about and analysed the economic implications and future direction of the EU and made their decision on that.However the majority are not well educated and in senior positions and many are racist and made their decisions based on immigration, NHS bus graphics and Johnson/Farage rabble rousing. I live cheek by jowl with this strata of society and on the whole they are good people but do not make the mistake that they all thought like you and your friends.
It is all water under the bridge now, we are out and will never re-enter with the same strong position that we had, if ever, so we have to continue to move on.

I like it here and for 9 months of the year it is pleasantly peaceful and traffic free so I have no intention of moving.[😁👨‍🦼

Don't get me wrong...I'm a remainer and leaving was the wrong thing to do without a doubt......but by the time BJ got in, like many, I was really past caring and just wanted it over and the deal done.
But nothing good has come out of leaving, the hard of thinking, largely racist were sold a pack of lies and believed it. If it was voted for tomorrow, now we know the facts, rather than years ago, I suspect the vote would be a landslide remain no matter what side of the house you vote for. Nothing is better since Brexit.... nothing at all....and lots is rather worse.
So things being worse are all down to Brexit? Nothing to do with Covid, things going on in Ukraine and Pakistan/Israel, climate change, global poverty, etc?

If it was voted for tomorrow, now we know the facts, rather than years ago, I suspect the vote would be a landslide remain no matter what side of the house you vote for. Nothing is better since Brexit.... nothing at all....and lots is rather worse.

If nothing is better in the UK since Brexit then certainly nothing is better in the EU since Brexit either, in fact rather worse.

You would think that Brexit would have produced a pause for thought amongst the unelected Eurocrats but that hasn't happened and dissatisfaction among many of the member states is growing. If the EU had reformed since Brexit then I might vote to re-join but not as things stand and wonder if another vote really would be a landslide remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom